Gaming Image Quality Showdown - PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PC

LinusTech

Linux -  I am kinda scratchin my head at your entry level rig choice.  Im curious why you spent the money on an SSD?  Just a luxury you have gotten too used too?  

So whats everyones thoughts  ?

I think linus just used what he had at his reach and made a system. You proved it could be done better and cheaper. Pcpartpicker.com even better. 

There is absolutelly no reason why not to get a PC if you want one, and if you want to play modern games with same budget as consoles.

I think linus just used what he had at his reach and made a system. You proved it could be done better and cheaper. Pcpartpicker.com even better. 

There is absolutelly no reason why not to get a PC if you want one, and if you want to play modern games with same budget as consoles.

You know I always forget to go to pcparts picker.  Same system put it together except

1TB WD Blue instead of 500 gig

Corsair CX 430 instead of that trashy PSU in my above post

559 USD ,  509 if you actually use the rebates.  

Hello Linus, I have a question concerning the controllers. Now, I know you said you liked the 360's one the most, then the PS4's Dualshock 4 and then the Xbox One controller. Now I have to say, so far the 360's controller is my most favourite one, but I never really had my hands on the new gen controllers for a long time. I also remember you in other videos saying you have quite small hands, and I deducted from those videos that my hands most likely are a bit larger.

Now, what were Slick's impressions of the controllers? I somehow think his hands are a bit larger than yours, so his experiences might differ from yours...

(i think there is a good chance to Crossfire a A8 5600k with a R7 250, but no one have test it yet)  :ph34r:

Was really hoping he would mention the price of going online for some of the consoles.

All the consoles that were shown require a special (paid) account to go online. Either Xbox Live Gold, or Playstation Plus.

I'm extremely surprised how well the XboxOne and PS4 held up against the Entry Level PC. I mean the Entry Level PC was better but the XboxOne and PS4 are comparable to be honest. But that is to be expected I suppose. However, when you take into account the functionality of the PC, the fact that there are 1000's of free games out there for PC, that the Steam sales happen 2-3 times a year where you can pick up dozens of cheap games and that AAA games drop in price to a level that the Consoles will probably never see I cannot see why anyone would see the Consoles as an appealing alternative.

Never mind when you take into account that the PC is upgradable and if you are using cheap parts in 2-3 years $250-$300 will bring you a high end GFX card that will keep you in the game for years to come.

When you also take into account the fact that $400 spent now will bring you something that is better but still comparable to the consoles but $400 in 2 years this will not be the same conversation. And when you think that in 2-3 years high end tablets will most likely be providing better visuals.....

I've been saying this for over 2 years now (well to my friends obviously not here :D) this is the last generation of consoles. The only way I can see XboxTwo and PS5 is if they sell machines worth $1200-$1500 for $400 and if they do that in 3-4 years, then maybe I can see another console generation coming around but that is a lot of maybes and none of them will happen tbh

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Battlefield 4 still looks better as a youtube video on the xbox 360 then playing it on my xbox 360 throught the same screen.  :wacko:

Would've like to have seen a mid-range pc (sorry HAD to be that guy)

Personally a big thing for me is form factor. You simply can't build a similar spec PC into the same size as a xbone or ps4!

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I'm totally unimpressed with the Xbox One part.

Personally a big thing for me is form factor. You simply can't build a similar spec PC into the same size as a xbone or ps4!

Yes you can. here is a link to small form factor PC's

here is the first one alienware the X51 http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

Falcon PC http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

and there are a few other companies that make these.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Yes you can. here is a link to small form factor PC's

here is the first one alienware the X51 http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

Falcon PC http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

and there are a few other companies that make these.

Digital Storm has their own custom case packed with power as well  ;) http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt.asp

@digitalnav should pay me advertisement fees :P

This was certainly a great review, and yes I am a PC gamer but I do own a PS3 that it's only purpose is to collect dust and play Netflix. I was impressed with the price to performance of the entry lvl PC and amazed that it did better than the new gen consoles. I still wonder why anyone would consider buying the consoles with there proprietary (can't do this that and the other) gear/hardware. I like to upgrade and have the freedom to do so.

Anyhow this was a good way to show how each platform performs in a real world application (gaming) and how each system actually performs.

P.S. I do wonder with the X86 - 64 coding and how that will impact gaming on a PC, I hope we start seeing games on how there supposed to look and not compromise the graphics to accommodate for the consoles. The scaling thing holds a lot of interest for me and new games. Please game devs, cripple my system like you did with the first Farcry, I want to have my mouth hang open and my beard to catch my drool.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Digital Storm has their own custom case packed with power as well  ;) http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt.asp

@digitalnav should pay me advertisement fees :P

I was trying to think of all the companies that made them but on short notice I couldn't remember them all.

But if it were me I would go with the Digital Storm myself.

I want a Studio to make a game with minimal graphics and ALLOT of mechanics. Would love to see the end result

Character artist in the Games industry.

Here's the sample footage uploaded to YouTube:

Xbox 360

Entry Level PC

Premium PC

Xbox One

Playstation 4

I will be working on creating torrent links to download the full size files of the above, but it might take me a day or two. I'm kinda traveling right now.

It would be nice if you could just download them from the site, I don't have any torrent downloaders and I would like to really see how these look cause I know how youtube makes the video look bad by compressing it even more than what it was compressed at originally. I would be nice if Youtube wouldn't do that. This way wen I upload my video it would look like I took footage off an Atari 2600 :P

This was certainly a great review, and yes I am a PC gamer but I do own a PS3 that it's only purpose is to collect dust and play Netflix. I was impressed with the price to performance of the entry lvl PC and amazed that it did better than the new gen consoles. I still wonder why anyone would consider buying the consoles with there proprietary (can't do this that and the other) gear/hardware. I like to upgrade and have the freedom to do so.

Anyhow this was a good way to show how each platform performs in a real world application (gaming) and how each system actually performs.

P.S. I do wonder with the X86 - 64 coding and how that will impact gaming on a PC, I hope we start seeing games on how there supposed to look and not compromise the graphics to accommodate for the consoles. The scaling thing holds a lot of interest for me and new games. Please game devs, cripple my system like you did with the first Farcry, I want to have my mouth hang open and my beard to catch my drool.

I was trying to think of all the companies that made them but on short notice I couldn't remember them all.

But if it were me I would go with the Digital Storm myself.

It would be nice if you could just download them from the site, I don't have any torrent downloaders and I would like to really see how these look cause I know how youtube makes the video look bad by compressing it even more than what it was compressed at originally. I would be nice if Youtube wouldn't do that. This way wen I upload my video it would look like I took footage off an Atari 2600 :P

Comic Sans Criminal - There's help available for people like you!

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Just registered to post my little problem with the video (and most videos like it).

Small little rant before I go into the post,

S4dvSnZ.jpg

There's absolutely no reason past 95' to have a limit on password length. User passwords should be hashed and salted and length if absolutely irrelevant in that regard. Personally I also prefer 100+ passwords. While your forum is obviously just a skin of one of the commercial options unlike tech syndicate (which is supposedly hand made, yet apparently for all the security babel can't save my password hashed in their database), I would still appreciate it if such a limit didnt exist. If there is a reason for me to use a short password, such as for accessing from a random mobile device then I would simply change my password; but even then I would prefer an open authentication solution over "dumb passwords" since that would go though a 2-way authentication.

-------------------------------

+LinusTechTips

My personal problem with the comparison in the video is that you're comparing BF4, Call of Duty and so on which are more akin to PC-centric games gone to consoles, and like games like Crysis are in the model "hey we made a game, go buy a graphics card" rather then serving the consumer platform. While you may have no issue with putting a better graphics card in, this is not necesarily an option for everyone and some consumers may not even WANT to subscribe to the model of handling performance problems themselves though hardware. From my perspective, if all you're going to look at is cases like BF4 which are well-known "hardware melters," of course you're going to get better results in a market where you can spend 10,000 on hardware if you wanted.

When you look at other games and other types of games and start to take into account the number of games you have access, the types of games you have access to and the communities in those games, the consoles actually look very promising.

Then you have to start to consider the environment the box would sit in. You had it on a desk on a 24" 60hz (or 120hz?) monitor, its suppose to be under a 52" tv (at whatever hz) in your living room, and yes you can make a small factor pc that maybe is only 3 times as ginormous by comparison to even the xbox one, but you wont be able to do shit on it if you stick it in your living room (assuming you can even control it properly). In addition, chances are the people in question have LAPTOPS or very crappy PCs with crappy monitors, so which would you rather have:

• PC, kind of does what console does, running on a 17-19" (which probably also means crappy colors and such)
  • console, doesn't quite do every productivity thing (but your not very PC-centric when it comes to productivity anyway; otherwise you would already have a beefy PC) and runs your games on your 52" nice looking TV.

And yes I know there's the whole steam box thing; but it's not here yet so it's all a bunch of hot steam until it comes to fruition. And lets face it the steam box is something new, this whole "pc master race" argument has been with us for ages.

Then there's also the issue with how the argument is formulated. If you want to compare hardware and claim that X is better then Y because of hardware performance then why do claims such as "a mac has a better gaming experience then a console" and "my phone has a better gaming experience then a 360" or "reasonably powerful handheld Z has better gaming experience then living room 52" tv based console Q" not hold any water. If "hardware performance" was really the only point for comparison, they should have been true, but they are not. So we can only deduce "hardware performance" is at best only ONE point of comparison among many, and not the deciding factor. If anything hardware accessibility and form factor are more important these days (even among the pc master race crowd).

Finally, I own a reasonably powerful PC and have plenty of games on it (planetary annihilation, anno 2070, witcher 2) which I run on absolute max settings, I just want to say I couldn't care less for the games shown in the comparison. Not every person on earth cares for FPS bro-shooters and that no-story-momentum pretty looking grindfest that is the Assassin Creed franchise. Any company now could make a game that can only run on LOW settings even on the best hardware on the market, that doesn't mean it's "relevant" when making a decision on what you want to get or that said game should be used as a "measuring stick" (imagine for a second if The Last of Us was the first game of the last generation). Lets say you're into fighters, jrpgs, rpgs, etc.... well PC is a wasteland when it comes to them, has at best ports, with a few exceptions virtually no communities (since people who care play it on the platform it was initially sold to, 1-3 years earlier!) and performance most of the time is a non-issue.

There also this "better value in the long run" argument floating in your video comments. I'll just answer it very briefly, since you dont point it out yourself. Problem 1: You got 1000 games though steam, great! Do you play all of them? Nope. If you only got 2-3 tiltes and you played them months would that not have been better? When you look at it like that, availability is more important, and consoles have greater availability in general (most things come console first). But lets say you're the "lots of games" gamer, the PS+ subscribition gives you free games with out even going though sales (so you're paying a fixed budget and getting plenty of games; instead of potentially spending hundreds on games you'll never pay because of buyer hype). If you live somewhere like japan PS+ will actually net you even more stuff, from my understanding. That said, on the xbox one side, you're getting completely ripped off and also congratulations on having to deal with double dipping; so yes if its xbox one or PC, steam wins. Additionally if like me you like RTS and Strategy games (grand strategy etc) you're better off on PC too, at least for the moment.

ps.

I would have preferred actual full quality video, youtube is garbage when it comes to comparisons since it both compresses the files and also reduces them to 30fps. You should have provided a torrent with the actual files.

This is more of a nit pick, but IMHO comparing "launch games" which were obviously shoved out the door and not optimized properly for the hardware (from the looks of it) is IMO not the fairest of comparisons.

It would be nice to see a comparison of things like machine noise levels comparison; since some of us do put value in having a quite machine.

I would have preferred actual full quality video, youtube is garbage when it comes to comparisons since it both compresses the files and also reduces them to 30fps. You should have provided a torrent with the actual files.

This is more of a nit pick, but IMHO comparing "launch games" which were obviously shoved out the door and not optimized properly for the hardware (from the looks of it) is IMO not the fairest of comparisons.

Give him time. If you would read the posts that he made, you wouldn't have put this

And the AC4 dev purposefully didnt optimize.

They said

"The new platforms are a lot closer to PC, so my engineers could do the R&D on PC and we knew it would work fairly easily on next-gen platforms. It needed to be adapted, but everything does."

"It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Fine I will change it to something else then lol

did you use the latest patch for the ac iv on ps4 it now runs at 1080p

http://kotaku.com/with-new-patch-aciv-now-looks-sharper-on-ps4-1469848384

wow :lol: this is the 1s time i see that improve on a console game, and even run better on 1080p

PS4 is so powerful and awesome  :wub:

Give him time. If you would read the posts that he made, you wouldn't have put this

My bad. Read the post, but missed that note at the end.

Here's the sample footage uploaded to YouTube:

Xbox 360

Entry Level PC

Premium PC

Xbox One

Playstation 4

I will be working on creating torrent links to download the full size files of the above, but it might take me a day or two. I'm kinda traveling right now.

The torrents would be EXTREMELY helpful, the YouTube compression is pretty bad! Thanks for all the amazing footage though. Since I have 2 monitors, putting them side by side. It's very clear who the winner is! Still all the compression anomalies and weird things and what not, are annoying. This is true in every video, so other then what your doing (and a dang good job of it) there isn't much more to do !

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.