OpenIV Shuts down due to Legal Issues

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Why would Rockstar lie about something anybody could easily fact check? Something doesn't add up here. This coupled with OpenIV's claims that the source code could never be released because of "illegal" reasons makes me think there is more to the story and so far the only party that hasn't done anything shady in my eyes is Rockstar. I hope the whole truth comes out soon.

Rockstar is probably only saying what their owners tell them to say. Remember, they're outright owned by Take-Two despite running mostly independently. Unless something appeared recently that I hadn't heard about OpenIV has disabled GTA Online when being used for years. So it is possible there is more to the story that T2 and Rockstar aren't talking about, either that or T2 just sent out a bunch of C&D letters to modders all at once, regardless of who they were or what they did. They did take down a tool that allowed online modding as well, so that could be the case.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

nothing, as always

That doesn't make any sense.  Even if this is true, what they did was still wrong and deserving of all the backlash.  They could have very easily sent them a letter telling them to prevent online modifications instead of shutting them down entirely.

They could also put some effort into protecting multiplayer more...

I agree, but if the company was bypassing certain restrictions with their "illegal" code (their words, not mine) then the C&D letter was warranted IMO.

-KuJoe

On 6/14/2017 at 9:29 PM, Rika Shiguma said:

I wonder, wouldn't this kill off GTA RP since OpenIV may have of been used to install FiveM

No.

The geek himself.

On 19/06/2017 at 8:25 PM, Derangel said:

Rockstar is probably only saying what their owners tell them to say. Remember, they're outright owned by Take-Two despite running mostly independently. Unless something appeared recently that I hadn't heard about OpenIV has disabled GTA Online when being used for years. So it is possible there is more to the story that T2 and Rockstar aren't talking about, either that or T2 just sent out a bunch of C&D letters to modders all at once, regardless of who they were or what they did. They did take down a tool that allowed online modding as well, so that could be the case.

If you watch Totalbiscuits video on the subject he seems the think that it was the plan all along for R* to basically say "It was Take 2, not us" in order to deflect the hate onto Take 2 and to try and protect R*s reputation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you watch Totalbiscuits video on the subject he seems the think that it was the plan all along for R* to basically say "It was Take 2, not us" in order to deflect the hate onto Take 2 and to try and protect R*s reputation.

um, wasn't the cease and desist literally from Take Two?  If it was, there isn't really any secret conspiracy or blame game... it's pretty clear who sent it :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

um, wasn't the cease and desist literally from Take Two?  If it was, there isn't really any secret conspiracy or blame game... it's pretty clear who sent it :P 

He was referring to Rockstars statement on the matter which clearly stated the C&D was sent by TT, not R*.

For context he is arguing that R* are as much to blame as TT in the shutdown of Open IV, he reckons that not only did they know about it but they did nothing to try and stop it and that the whole "blame take two" statement was cleverly orchestrated damage control stunt to to minimise damage towards R* and GTA V, after all GTA V is TTs biggest cash cow.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Oh and Take Two bought KSP.

I swear to f u c k i n g g o d T T i f y o u t a k e m o d d i n g a w a y f r o m k s p Y O U ' L L B E I N T R O U B L E B O I

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

A fairly informative but mostly conjectural video on this case from Leonard French: He doubts any legal will result but presents a plausible legal defense to stick it to Take Two:

-------

Current Rig

-------

Damn, just wanted to play through the whole campaign and plan to mod it after that

Guess that won't be happening now, thanks C* 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

16 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

A fairly informative but mostly conjectural video on this case from Leonard French: He doubts any legal will result but presents a plausible legal defense to stick it to Take Two:

I maintain, Take Two would not win this case if it ever made it in front of a Judge. The problem is TT know the Open IV team could never afford to fight them leaving them only one option.

Capitalism at its finest.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I maintain, Take Two would not win this case if it ever made it in front of a Judge. The problem is TT know the Open IV team could never afford to fight them leaving them only one option.

I always like to think in cases where victory is virtually certain that some lawyer would just jump up out of the shadows and offer to take the case for free, either just out of good will, or (more likely) because they can include legal fees in the settlement so it's not really "free" after all.

It never seems to happen though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Actually they could afford legal defense with a kickstarter. It might not be the best legal defense perhaps but the odds are heavily stacked on their favor as you say.

The bigger point is one that French mentions here: There's little incentive for them to fight it, even if they could get the money through crowd funding. This isn't their livelihood, it's just a hobby and there's plenty of other sandbox games to mod if they still have that itch on them to continue. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

One possibility that I haven't seen brought up, is that perhaps the OpenIV team chose not to fight specifically because they knew it would lead to the modding community fighting for them.  A bit of reverse psychology, if you will.  If they fought, they risked legal fees should T2 take it all the way.  By not just dropping the mod, but even updating the mod to recommend uninstalling, it fired up the base far more than it otherwise may have.

Just some food for thought.  Not saying this is the case, just saying it's one additional possibility that hasn't been mentioned.