WiFi Router = Wifi Adapter?

jhogan93

Hey guys! I'm new to this community and I'm not sure if this question has been thrown about or what not. But I am a simple Gamer and Youtube Creator. I have recently moved into a new residence, and my home networking options have become rather limited. Originally I had my Gaming Pc connected to my network via wire. In my new residence my modem and router are clear across the house (still on the same level) and I do not have a WiFi adapter of any kind. I do plan on buying one, but I heard you "can" use an old router as a WiFi adapter on the fly. What I have seen online doesnt allow two routers to communicate without some kind of custom firmware. I'm a bit hesitant to do this for mostly fear of viruses and armageddon on my Pc. So I come here today to ask you guys for advice on this matter. thnx!

It depends on the "old router" you have. I used a cheapo Rosewill N300 as a makeshift wireless network adapter for a good while because it had support for DD-WRT. If you can put DD-WRT on it, then you can certainly use it as a wifi adapter. With that said, a lot of the tutorials for setting this up are very bad if not flat out wrong so you might need some degree of tech-savvyness to figure it all out.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

2 minutes ago, LyyK said:

It depends on the "old router" you have. I used a cheapo Rosewill N300 as a makeshift wireless network adapter for a good while because it had support for DD-WRT. If you can put DD-WRT on it, then you can certainly use it as a wifi adapter. With that said, a lot of the tutorials for setting this up are very bad if not flat out wrong so you might need some degree of tech-savvyness to figure it all out.

I did look into "DD-WRT" firmware but could not find my routers model # in the listed compatible. Could I use any DD-WRT for router?

If you're not able to find your router here https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database then you won't be able to use DD-WRT on it.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

The firmware it came with might have options that allow you to configure it as a network adapter. Look for "wireless bridge" or "client bridge" in the firmware, most likely within the wireless section.

58 minutes ago, LyyK said:

The firmware it came with might have options that allow you to configure it as a network adapter. Look for "wireless bridge" or "client bridge" in the firmware, most likely within the wireless section.

Still a no go. Is there any other firmware to try? Or would tht just be suicide for my Pc?

15 minutes ago, jhogan93 said:

Still a no go. Is there any other firmware to try? Or would tht just be suicide for my Pc?

If your router doesnt show as compatible for third party firmware and does not have the options for wireless bridging then your screwed. Just bite your lip and buy a good WiFI card. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.