Did I break my cpu?

I've had my 4690k for about 2yrs now and finally OC'd it earlier this year (Jan/Feb) and got 4.7Ghz at 1.345v and it's been fine for months now.   

Well Sunday night I turned off the PC by pressing and holding the case power button down, something I've done many times to this PC, though not "often".  When I went to turn it on last night I get a BSOD when Win10 goes to load.  The blue logo comes up, the circle spins once or twice, then BSOD!  Great!

I reset the BIOS to defaults, still get BSOD trying to load Win10.  I clear the CMOS....still BSOD trying to load Win10.  Now here's the scary part to me, I try to boot up the Win10 Install USB I have and I get a BSOD just trying to load that!  So I can't even reformat it now!

I setup my old PC to download and make a Ubuntu bootable USB.  I put that into my current PC and try to boot it up and.....I get an error and it won't boot!  Below is the error I get:

Kernal panic - not syncing: Timeout: Not all CPUs entered broadcast exception handler
Shutting down cpus with NMI

So yeah, I'm out of ideas here!  Did I break my cpu somehow?  Can't get it to boot into anything other than the BIOS.  I'm open to trying anything else to try and fix it if possible.  Any and all help is appreciated!

UPDATE - My 4690k is officially dead, er at least broken.  I've tried all your ideas below, from reflashing BIOS, underclocking, reseating, etc and none of them changed the fact that it will just not boot into any OS.  Still BSOD trying to load Win10 or Win10 Install USB and gives an error and won't boot Ubuntu USB either.  After reseating it and it still not working I finally went and bought a cheap G3470 to test it out, and sure enough that booted into Win10 on the first try!  Still find it weird it died from turning off the PC in that fashion, but more so that the BIOS reads it fine and gives no errors, yet the 4690k just can't seem to get into the state it needs in order to boot OS's.

I decided I really don't want to build a new PC right now, and though a bit of a waste (since the prices haven't changed any in 2yrs) I went ahead and ordered a 4790k to get what I can out of my current build for another year or so probably.

Thank you all for your help though, I do really appreciate it and the prompt replies.  It's been a stressful couple of days.

Remove and reseat the CPU and see how it does. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

You shouldnt turn the computer off by holding the power button as long you have another way... (aka it hasnt crashed)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Can you at least get into the bios? First I would try what Zando said, but also try to underclock your CPU on purpose. This often happens to CPU overclocks over time where they just won't cut it anymore. Try to underclock your CPU in the bios.

Yeah I can still get into the BIOS fine with no problems.  So underclock, as in below what the default is you mean?  So something under 3.5Ghz in this case?  Cause I already got rid of my OC and it's set back to the defaults.  I've only had that OC for 3-4 months.

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

You shouldnt turn the computer off by holding the power button as long you have another way... (aka it hasnt crashed)

i've been doing this for 10 years now, I never turn a pc off any other way, and my old dell from 07 is still running like a champ 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

22 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

So I gave this a try last night, still got a BSOD trying to load windows.  Then tried Ubuntu USB and surprisingly got further, didn't get an error and actually got to the splash screen for it!   Where it locked up..../sigh.   I rebooted into a BIOS and noticed the cpu was running way hot, about 80c.  So I shut it off and went to bed for the night.  About 10mins later I realized I had forgot to plug the pump back in, so that explains the temps.  /SIGH!   So I will try again tonight after work with the pump actually plugged in.

22 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

no, underclock to something like 2GHz. One thing you could also try is placing the CPU at stock speeds, but at the original 1.35v 

Gave this a shot last night, did not work.  I even went down to 1.5Ghz but still get BSOD trying to load windows or the Win install USB, etc.

It's so weird, in the BIOS it reads fine, the mobo gets no errors on it, but it just won't boot anything other than the BIOS.  At this point I just wish I could determine "for sure" if it was the cpu or the mobo before I spend money to fix it.

On 6/13/2017 at 10:16 AM, Zando Bob said:

It dead :(

Bought a G3470 from Fry's tonight (cheapest 1150 they had) and put it and it had no problem booting to windows or Ubuntu, so yeah.... guess my 4690k is dead.  /SIGH

Now do I get a 4790k and wait till Coffeelake (maybe beyond) like I originally planned with this one, or just F-it and build a Skylake-X build in a couple weeks?

5 minutes ago, Dizman7 said:

Bought a G3470 from Fry's tonight (cheapest 1150 they had) and put it and it had no problem booting to windows or Ubuntu, so yeah.... guess my 4690k is dead.  /SIGH

Now do I get a 4790k and wait till Coffeelake (maybe beyond) like I originally planned with this one, or just F-it and build a Skylake-X build in a couple weeks?

Skylake X is a clusterf*ck of cut down Xeons, I'd buy a 4790K and wait til Intel comes out with something useful.

39 minutes ago, Dizman7 said:

As much as people like to hate on the new Skylake X chips, the day they come out they will be the fastest consumer processors money can buy.  I'm buying a 7820x because I want 7700k like single core performance and 8 cores of muscle.  I will never go SLI again so I am very comfortable with 28 pci lanes.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

On 6/13/2017 at 0:26 PM, HunterSkater429 said:
On 6/13/2017 at 0:18 PM, Mihle said:

i've been doing this for 10 years now, I never turn a pc off any other way, and my old dell from 07 is still running like a champ 

Mihle is right, you should never turn off a computer that way unless it won't power down normally (and if that's a common issue, then you have bigger problems with your PC).  Powering down normally, allows your HDD to park the head and spin down the drive correctly; or your SSD to ensure all data is saved correctly before powering off.  Powering off like you do, is akin to pulling the power cord from the back.  It's a horrible practice, and it's a wonder you haven't broken something before now.

Your HDD is especially susceptible to damage from that type of power loss (for the reasons I mentioned above).  Not to mention the potential for corrupting your OS.

*EDIT*
I just realized I was confusing you with the OP, but my point still stands.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Your HDD is especially susceptible to damage from that type of power loss (for the reasons I mentioned above).  Not to mention the potential for corrupting your OS.

Random additional comment: if a datacenter get's EMO-ed or power outage (not all are on battery+generator backups) there's a non trivial number of hard drives that will never spin back up again.  Mechanical drives hate powering down.  (EMO = emergency power off)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Mechanical drives hate powering down.

That's actually one of the reasons I typically run my PC 24/7/365.  The only time I reboot is for updates, and the only time it's powered off is when the power goes out or I go on vacation (neither of which happens very often).

try disabling Intel Speedstep

if it doesn't help - try updating BIOS

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

10 hours ago, lilbman said:

Skylake X is a clusterf*ck of cut down Xeons

No, no no. Can the Xeons run at 5GHz with an AiO? Can the Xeons handle 128GB of RAM at 3200MHz? Keep that bullshit Intel hate to yourself.

10 hours ago, lilbman said:

wait til Intel comes out with something useful.

Useful? The fact that it is not useful to you doesn't mean that it's useless. For people who use AVX, Skylake-X is 100% a success, it's also useful for people who use virtualization and need a lot of cores, for people who need good multi core performance, without compromising on single core performance, for people who want the best of the best, for enthusiasts. The fact that it makes no sense to you does not mean that X299 is a flop and something that no one should buy, sure you can get a Threadripper or a Ryzen for less, but its AVX performance will be shit and gaming and single core performance will be quite a bit worse.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 hours ago, DXMember said:

try disabling Intel Speedstep

if it doesn't help - try updating BIOS

Yeah I tried both of these, it changed nothing, it still BSOD trying to load Windows, Windows Install USB, and Ubuntu USB.

Bought a cheap G3470 last night to test out, put it in and it worked fine, got right into windows the first try.  My 4690k is definitely busted. :(

Rma your i5

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

5 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Rma your i5

It's delidded and I lapped the IHS, I doubt it qualifies for a warranty now

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

-snip-

Watch out we have a fanboy on our hands, profile picture and everything.  His name is even referring to the 5960X.

Look you need to calm down.  All I really meant was that Intel's X299 platform is borderline incoherent-they got caught off guard by AMDs return in the x86 market and they've gone and made a ton of marketing mistakes.  It happened with Athlon 64 too.  These chips are useless and hastily created white elephants.

I think its very possible that they're all just modified Xeons with some disabled cores.  The feature set between the chips like PCIe lanes and memory lanes show that they're separate. This means they're likely only sharing the 12-18 cores with themselves and the 6-10 with themselves.  The 18 core yields are pretty low and its possible that its just a gimped 24 core Xeon with a different feature set.  They got caught SO SO SO off guard that they don't even support PCIe 4.0.  One would think that this would be included on their highest end line because most people buying those chips would use them, but no, it was rushed and they done f*cked it up.

These are just cut down and unlocked Xeons.  The negatives with X299 FAR outweigh the positives and to be honest, Intel won't have a proper response to AMDs comeback until like 6 months from now. X299 is a cash grab and nothing more.

27 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Watch out we have a fanboy on our hands, profile picture and everything.  His name is even referring to the 5960X.

Yep, and an AMD Fanboy, you see his signature is red so you know, he is an AMD Fanboy. Such a good argument man, amazing! /s

I think its very possible that they're all just modified Xeons with some disabled cores.

So what? EPYC is just superglued 1800Xs, does this mean that it sucks?

The 18 core yields are pretty low and its possible that its just a gimped 24 core Xeon with a different feature set.

So what? I don't see how that affects anything.....

They got caught SO SO SO off guard that they don't even support PCIe 4.0.  

AMD also doesn't support PCIe 4.0, what the heck are you even talking about?

One would think that this would be included on their highest end line because most people buying those chips would use them, but no, it was rushed and they done f*cked it up.

And does AMD support it? Nope. And FYI, this means that it was not rushed, because it shows that the CPU was in the works for quite some time, if it was rushed, then it would probably support PCIe 4.0 because it would have been a new design.

These are just cut down and unlocked Xeons.

So what? You keep repeating that... Why? How does that affect anything?

The negatives with X299 FAR outweigh the positives and to be honest, Intel won't have a proper response to AMDs comeback until like 6 months from now. X299 is a cash grab and nothing more.

Side effects of watching too many "X299 sucks" videos, wait for reviews and we will see if that holds true or not.

And you didn't mention any negatives nor did you say why X299 is a cash grab, so please, if you are going to respond, I want you to list all those negatives you're talking about.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

@Dizman7 If you want a good and cheap upgrade, get a Ryzen 5 1600. It is the best CPU for $230 and motherboards are pretty cheap as well :D

15 hours ago, lilbman said:

Skylake X is a clusterf*ck of cut down Xeons, I'd buy a 4790K and wait til Intel comes out with something useful.

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

Look you need to calm down.  All I really meant was that Intel's X299 platform is borderline incoherent-they got caught off guard by AMDs return in the x86 market and they've gone and made a ton of marketing mistakes.  It happened with Athlon 64 too.  These chips are useless and hastily created white elephants.

I think its very possible that they're all just modified Xeons with some disabled cores.  The feature set between the chips like PCIe lanes and memory lanes show that they're separate. This means they're likely only sharing the 12-18 cores with themselves and the 6-10 with themselves.  The 18 core yields are pretty low and its possible that its just a gimped 24 core Xeon with a different feature set.  They got caught SO SO SO off guard that they don't even support PCIe 4.0.  One would think that this would be included on their highest end line because most people buying those chips would use them, but no, it was rushed and they done f*cked it up.

These are just cut down and unlocked Xeons.  The negatives with X299 FAR outweigh the positives and to be honest, Intel won't have a proper response to AMDs comeback until like 6 months from now. X299 is a cash grab and nothing more.

Broadwell-E was great, right?  You're funny.  If there was a gen to skip, it was definitely Broadwell-E, but you bit.  

I'll take the Skylake-X version any day, but keep trying to justify your current setup by slamming the new stuff.  I love how people do that with every release.  

1 hour ago, Dizman7 said:

It's delidded and I lapped the IHS, I doubt it qualifies for a warranty now

LAPped ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

14 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Mihle is right, you should never turn off a computer that way unless it won't power down normally (and if that's a common issue, then you have bigger problems with your PC).  Powering down normally, allows your HDD to park the head and spin down the drive correctly; or your SSD to ensure all data is saved correctly before powering off.  Powering off like you do, is akin to pulling the power cord from the back.  It's a horrible practice, and it's a wonder you haven't broken something before now.

*EDIT*
I just realized I was confusing you with the OP, but my point still stands.

Never had a PC die or break or any issue what's ever and I hold the power button down to turn off my pc, people say it's bad but how can it be if over the 24 years I have lived zero computers I've done that too broke. 

Never had currpot data or any HDD issue in my 07 pc, and I still use it to this day just to store stuff on like pictures and videos 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

2 hours ago, HunterSkater429 said:

Never had a PC die or break or any issue what's ever and I hold the power button down to turn off my pc, people say it's bad but how can it be if over the 24 years I have lived zero computers I've done that too broke. 

Never had currpot data or any HDD issue in my 07 pc, and I still use it to this day just to store stuff on like pictures and videos 

Just because you haven't experienced any problems (that you knew of) does not mean that it's not a horrible practice.

It's like saying, "I've been starting my car by popping the clutch every time for 24 years, never had a problem with it".  It only takes once for everything to come crashing down.

Noob question: would the quality of the PSU have any influence on shortening the life of components on 'hard' power offs?

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768