i7-4770K, Is 71-80C too hot?

So as the title might suggest, I´m wondering if temps at 71-80 is too hot for an i7-4770k that boosts up too 3,9Ghz? I´m measuring this via HWMonitor while playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, which doesn´t even push the CPU cores any higher than 60-80%. Is this normal or should I check on the cooler?

The cooler that I am using is the Antec H2O 620.

Many thanks!

54 minutes ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

So as the title might suggest, I´m wondering if temps at 71-80 is too hot for an i7-4770k that boosts up too 3,9Ghz? SNIP

I do not think it is to hot (safety wise), but I still suggest regular dust removal with compressed air, and/or vacuum-cleaning of the dust filters (preferably when computer is off for a few minutes so you do not have any electricity coursing through your components).

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

4 minutes ago, c0d0ps said:

I do not think it is to hot, but I still suggest regular dust removal with compressed air, and/or vacuum-cleaning of the dust filters (preferably when computer is off for a few minutes so you do not have any electricity coursing through your components).

i hope youre joking, you shouldnt be hitting 80c while gaming... especially not on water, maybe you have mounted the cooler bad or not applied enough paste.

i know the 4770ks ran hot but still.

2 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

i hope youre joking, you shouldnt be hitting 80c while gaming... especially not on water, maybe you have mounted the cooler bad or not applied enough paste.

The pc was bought prebuilt 2014 and I haven´t had any issues with it but I´ve noticed that it does get pretty hot recently so I don´t know if i have to reapply some new thermal paste, maybe?

Edit:I have built my own computer aswell recently and that isn´t getting nearly as hot, which was what got me thinking of this.

Just now, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

The pc was bought prebuilt 2014 and I haven´t had any issues with it but I´ve noticed that it does get pretty hot recently so I don´t know if i have to reapply some new thermal paste, maybe?

quite possible mate yes, if you havent replaced it in that long it is most likely that and dust build up, you should clean it atleast 2-3 times a year.

it isn't too hot, it is terribly too effin hot! Are you sure you installed the cooler correctly? Can you hear the pump?...it could be dead and this is passive cooling happening.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, MrJarhead said:

quite possible mate yes, if you havent replaced it in that long it is most likely that and dust build up, you should clean it atleast 2-3 times a year.

Then I´ll get some new thermal paste and switch it out right away.

Appreciate the help!

80C is not too hot, a lot of quad i7 laptops run at 90C. It only matters if you want turbo performance and overclocking.

Just now, System Error Message said:

80C is not too hot, a lot of quad i7 laptops run at 90C. It only matters if you want turbo performance and overclocking.

Well those aren´t all water cooled and they are laptops, tight spaces won´t be cooled as well, right?

2 minutes ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

Well those aren´t all water cooled and they are laptops, tight spaces won´t be cooled as well, right?

for water cooling it also depends on the water cooler too. From what i remember is that water cooling takes longer for temperatures to change but if thats at stock settings than i would say that its poor, I would check the water cooling set up first though to make sure that it is running well. It could also depend on the radiator you use as well and how much heat it is capable of removing.

There shouldn't be any harm to CPU as long as it's under 85°C.

But 80°C while gaming is a bit high if you ask me. 

That temperature would be fine, after 30min of aida64 stress testing.

For real usage, I would say to keep your CPU under 70°C.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

For a Prime95 stress test those would be normal temps but for a normal game O.o...

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

thats about what id expect, might be a bit high but 120mm AIOs are pretty shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

45 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

i know the 4770ks ran hot but still.

I mostly focused about the 70s and I have no idea what cooler he has xD. Anyways the cpu itself should be fine. It doesn't break at 70s or low 80s. I7 4770k is safe until 90 degrees and doesn't break until 105 degrees (celsius).

If you read the rest of my comment I suggested to check how much dust he had. "but I still suggest regular dust removal with compressed air, and/or vacuum-cleaning of the dust filters (preferably when computer is off for a few minutes so you do not have any electricity coursing through your components)." 

Sure he might have mounted it wrong but more often than not people apply to much thermal paste, since you only need about 1-2 pea-sized drops of it.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

43 minutes ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

Then I´ll get some new thermal paste and switch it out right away.

Appreciate the help!

It's not all about thermal paste (although it is important), don't forget about dust-clogging.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

2 hours ago, c0d0ps said:

I mostly focused about the 70s and I have no idea what cooler he has xD. Anyways the cpu itself should be fine. It doesn't break at 70s or low 80s. I7 4770k is safe until 90 degrees and doesn't break until 105 degrees (celsius).

If you read the rest of my comment I suggested to check how much dust he had. "but I still suggest regular dust removal with compressed air, and/or vacuum-cleaning of the dust filters (preferably when computer is off for a few minutes so you do not have any electricity coursing through your components)." 

Sure he might have mounted it wrong but more often than not people apply to much thermal paste, since you only need about 1-2 pea-sized drops of it.

he said what cooler he has ;) unless he updated his post, it most likely is dust etc from the fact he said its a 4 year old prebuilt and didnt mention cleaning it, i would never let me pc get dusty as some people, it ruins the aesthetics and is down right dirty.

I let mine hit 80-90c all the time.

mostly because I hate it with a passion, it is impossible to keep cool.

Mine runs at 4.4Ghz on a custom loop.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I would reapply thermal paste and in the future if you have a little extra money upgrade to a 240 mm aio will help cooling

4 hours ago, MrJarhead said:

he said what cooler he has ;) unless he updated his post, it most likely is dust etc from the fact he said its a 4 year old prebuilt and didnt mention cleaning it, i would never let me pc get dusty as some people, it ruins the aesthetics and is down right dirty.

I didn't recognize the cooler. That's why I suggested to check dust cleaning, it's pretty easy. 

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

UPDATE

So I went out and got some new thermal paste and reapplied it to the cpu and put the cooler back. After I booted windows i instantly opened HWMonitor and checked my temps. Idle desktop temps were around +-30C. So I ran CPU-Z and stress tested the CPU for about 5-10 minutes, maxing out at 57C (package), I´ve also played some games and I haven´t reached a new max temp yet. Looks like the problem was solved by reapplying some new thermal paste and cleaning out the dust. 

I Usually do clean my filters regularly but for some reason i had forgot about the front filter, so I´m guessing the 2 front fans were only pulling in minimal amounts of cool air which in turn doesn´t put the CPU cooler in an optimal position and might very well have been the biggest part of the temp problems.

Although now i have a weird almost "rattling" sound at startup, that disappears after about 3 seconds. At first I thought one of the fans might be hitting a cable, but that wasn´t the case as far as i could see and as i said the sound disappears after a short time. Could it possibly be the pump that makes these noises during the startup?

Thanks for all the help and the tips, I really appreciate it!