I was considering to buy this:

• Sharkoon VS4-S
    Pentium G4400
    ASRock B150M Pro4S
    4GB Crucial cheap memory DDR4-2133
    128GB Intenso Top 3 
    2x 3GB Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC
    Corsair VS650

Now the thing is, I still live with my parents and they are planning on buying a new computer to run Wilcom Embroidery Studio. It's now running on an old i3 laptop with 2gb ram and a GT210M. It crashes very often in case you wanted to know how poorly it would run.

I don't think it would be an issue but it would be possible to run a VM to mine and other uses. But I think the NAS would and could be an issue.

Would I just need to do the same as in this video from Linus? 
Assigning 4 threads to the normal workload, 2 to the NAS and 2 to VM for mining?

Since my parents still want something clean, would I need to go for a motherboard with 3 PCIE 3.0 x16 ports (since risers look a bit weird in a very nice room, no offense)

Why 3 cards now? Because I might be able to afford 3 of them.
And yes I'm aware that near October I'll need to upgrade the gpu's for ETH mining.

I'm currently looking at the following for the current situation:

• NZXT S340
    i7-7700k
    MSI Z270 SLI
    16GB HyperX Fury White (1st&3rd slot)
    8GB HyperX Fury Black, yes I typed black (2nd&4th)
    120GB SanDisk Plus x2 (1 for os for main part, 2nd one for mining?)
    WD40EFRX 2x (NAS)
    WD10EZRZ (for main part)
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB 3x
    Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700w

8gb ram for NAS
8gb ram for mining
2x4gb ram for Wilcom studio

The specs required to run Wilcom Embroidery Studio can be seen below

• Minimum Requirements

CPU - Intel® Core i3 or AMD Athlon™ 64
    Operating System – Windows 7 32-bit with latest updates and service pack
    Browser – Microsoft Edge or IE11.0
    Memory – 4 GB
    Free Hard Disk Space – 40 GB
    Graphics Card and Monitor – Support for 32bit and 1600 x 900 resolution

Recommended

CPU – Latest Intel® Core i7
    Operating System – Windows 10 64-bit with latest updates and service pack
    Browser – Microsoft Edge or later
    Memory – 8 GB
    Free Hard Disk Space – 256 GB or more (Solid State Drive)
    Graphics Card and Monitor – Support for Highest Color 32bit and 1920 x 1080 resolution or higher

Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate it.
PS: would the Ryzen 7 1700 be better for this kind of stuff?

If you want to do etherium mining, you should get a AMD GPU.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

6 hours ago, RuLeZ said:

If you want to do etherium mining, you should get a AMD GPU.

They cost more that makes them less efficient in my country. But still thank you for sharing your opinion. What about doing those 3 machines in 1? 

18 hours ago, lachiu said:

They cost more that makes them less efficient in my country. But still thank you for sharing your opinion. What about doing those 3 machines in 1? 

It seems youre from europe somewhere, but it seems very anti-competitive that AMD cards are more expensive to their Nvidia counterpart?

2 x RX570's will almost match 3 x GTX1060's for ethereum mining and use less power - making them more economical for mining - it'll also give you the option to expand to a 3rd card later. 

Its probably better to just put the money direct into buying etherum at current price market and hold it to sell later.

There are already huge farms mining the stuff @ GH/s creating huge TH/s pools, so its going to get exponentially harder to make even 1 ETH with only ~60MH/s

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 13.6.2017 at 11:50 AM, lachiu said:

[...]

Sure, mining in a VM works fine, if you have decent GPU pass-through (like KVM/unraid).

So you could put it all into 1 box...

I wouldn't go with the 7700K though, doesn't sound like your applications will profit a lot from the OCing, and an OCed CPU makes mining less profitable.

If you don't need to go with the current intel consumer platform, you might want to look for old servers on ebay, as long, as you can give your mining VM 2 cores of more the CPU performance doesn't matter much.

I am currently searching for cheap 8core servers with multiple 16x physical slot, too, but I can't find any, so that might limit this option for you, too

1 hour ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Sure, mining in a VM works fine, if you have decent GPU pass-through (like KVM/unraid).

So you could put it all into 1 box...

I wouldn't go with the 7700K though, doesn't sound like your applications will profit a lot from the OCing, and an OCed CPU makes mining less profitable.

If you don't need to go with the current intel consumer platform, you might want to look for old servers on ebay, as long, as you can give your mining VM 2 cores of more the CPU performance doesn't matter much.

I am currently searching for cheap 8core servers with multiple 16x physical slot, too, but I can't find any, so that might limit this option for you, too

For example a dual x5670 ?

6 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

something like that :) 

Would it really be that good/better compared to an i7 since it's so old?

Your will be much better off just running windows on the box, using storage spaces for storage, and running the miner in windows. No reason to use vms here, just makes it harder to use and less reliable.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your will be much better off just running windows on the box, using storage spaces for storage, and running the miner in windows. No reason to use vms here, just makes it harder to use and less reliable.

I want to access the NAS in the house, not only on the pc. 

2 minutes ago, lachiu said:

I want to access the NAS in the house, not only on the pc. 

you can setup a file share on windows very easily. Windows will work fine as a nas. You don't need linux to use a nas.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can setup a file share on windows very easily. Windows will work fine as a nas. You don't need linux to use a nas.

that's true, but I like my miner to be separated from as much other stuff as possible. I run it as a physically separate machine, but if I couldn't I'd probably still make it a VM and RDP into it from my PC

1 hour ago, lachiu said:

Would it really be that good/better compared to an i7 since it's so old?

Well, depends... If you were to play CPU bound games on it (like EU4 or Cities) or render non-GPU accelerated codecs etc. it might run a little better on the i7, but if you aren't, the extra cores give you more flexibility in terms of virtualisation and they cost much less.

Just now, ChalkChalkson said:

hat's true, but I like my miner to be separated from as much other stuff as possible. I run it as a physically separate machine, but if I couldn't I'd probably still make it a VM and RDP into it from my PC

but no real reason to, it won't cause a problem doing so.

1 minute ago, ChalkChalkson said:

that's true, but I like my miner to be separated from as much other stuff as possible. I run it as a physically separate machine, but if I couldn't I'd probably still make it a VM and RDP into it from my PC

Well, depends... If you were to play CPU bound games on it (like EU4 or Cities) or render non-GPU accelerated codecs etc. it might run a little better on the i7, but if you aren't, the extra cores give you more flexibility in terms of virtualisation and they cost much less.

No offense, but as stated above I'm not going to play ANY games on it except Mahjong and Spider Solitaire. 
It's not smart to put it one machine. But it's either this or no mining at all. 

1 minute ago, lachiu said:

No offense, but as stated above I'm not going to play ANY games on it except Mahjong and Spider Solitaire. 
It's not smart to put it one machine. But it's either this or no mining at all. 

Yeah, I just tried to come up with any examples, where the 7700K makes sense compared to older gen server CPUs :)

And well, it is not too dumb to do that, since power consumption is a big thing when you are trying to mine with decent profit.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but no real reason to, it won't cause a problem doing so.

Well, I want to OC my CPU on the PC I am using for daily tasks and gaming, and that would reduce mining profits quite a bit. I haven't tried putting two cards into one system and mining on one though, since the BTC crashed the first time

Just now, ChalkChalkson said:

Well, I want to OC my CPU on the PC I am using for daily tasks and gaming, and that would reduce mining profits quite a bit. I haven't tried putting two cards into one system and mining on one though, since the BTC crashed the first time

well your aren't mining on the cpu, so that won't make a big difference, and idle power is about the same.

Your just using the gpu's.

Also running in a vm won't change profits vs running a normal win32 program, if you have a oc or not.

11 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Yeah, I just tried to come up with any examples, where the 7700K makes sense compared to older gen server CPUs :)

And well, it is not too dumb to do that, since power consumption is a big thing when you are trying to mine with decent profit.

Should I consider the ryzen 5 1600 instead?

2 hours ago, lachiu said:

Should I consider the ryzen 5 1600 instead?

considering, sure... There is no real reason to stick to intel only these days.

What you should plan out is how many cores each system needs:

I would give the miner and the NAS at least 2 threads each and with the workstation only you know how much power you need.

When you know how many cores you need, you have to decide between used or new hardware.

Then search for the cheapest system, that satisfies all these requirement and is sandybridge (I3/5/7 2XXX) or newer (including ryzen)