Are these Temps normal?

So I just finished up my liquid loop and I have been doing some temperature testing, and while my gpu (R9 Nano) sits at 45C at most, my cpu (4790k) will heat up to 60C while playing league of legends, and 65C in games like GW2, BO3, and DS3.  In the intel extreme tuning application, under stress it hits 70C max.  Now, I get thats under an artificial load, but in LOL for example, is it normal for it to sit so high?

That's nice temps nothing to worry about

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

it's pretty fine temps still

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

So I just finished up my liquid loop and I have been doing some temperature testing, and while my gpu (R9 Nano) sits at 45C at most, my cpu (4790k) will heat up to 60C while playing league of legends, and 65C in games like GW2, BO3, and DS3.  In the intel extreme tuning application, under stress it hits 70C max.  Now, I get thats under an artificial load, but in LOL for example, is it normal for it to sit so high?

Yes, my Xeon E3 1240 gets to 70C on a CM d92. You're fine.

Mine sits at 50-55c while gaming unless it's bf1. Then mid 60's. 

Seems fine. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, FrankV said:

I think they are fine tests but I think this is relevant too: What radiator size do you have on your custom loop? 

A single 240, the fans are intakes, should i maybe have them pull instead?

20170606_233556.jpg

1 hour ago, GauntletV2 said:

A single 240, the fans are intakes, should i maybe have them pull instead?

Push or pull won't make much difference in temps. With pull you would have an easier time cleaning the dust from your rad.

Cooling a CPU + GPU on a 240 rad is tight but even though those temps are not bad at all. On what speed do your fans run? 

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

3 hours ago, Limecat86 said:

Push or pull won't make much difference in temps. With pull you would have an easier time cleaning the dust from your rad.

Cooling a CPU + GPU on a 240 rad is tight but even though those temps are not bad at all. On what speed do your fans run? 

35% browsing the web and for league, and 50% for "harder" games to run

Yeah, a single 240 for two components is less than the minimum rad space you'd want.

As a rule of thumb, you want 240mm of rad space for each heat generating component at a minimum.

If you want lower temps, you'll need more radiator space.

The temps you're getting are okay. They're similar to the temps you'd get on some air coolers.

They aren't dangerous temps by any stretch.

You can try adding fans in push/pull and raising the fan speeds to compensate.

---

1 hour ago, FrankV said:

For my information (for my loop) how do you trigger an increase in those speeds? 

You can use something like SpeedFan to control the fan speeds on given motherboard headers based on the temps the components you want to monitor.

---

3 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

You can use something like SpeedFan to control the fan speeds on given motherboard headers based on the temps the components you want to monitor.

--snip--

I've tried SpeedFan prior to installing the water cooling and I've not had much luck with it. Upon installing the water cooling, I realized none of my case fans are PWM (I thought they were for some reason). So, on the MB I set my fan controls to the relevant fans to DC. Speedfan might work now. Regardless, I can and do control my fans' speed through my motherboard and it works well. 

However, that doesn't actually answer my question unless SpeedFan can see & respond to the temperature of my GPU and CPU combined....  

18 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I've tried SpeedFan prior to installing the water cooling and I've not had much luck with it. Upon installing the water cooling, I realized none of my case fans are PWM (I thought they were for some reason). So, on the MB I set my fan controls to the relevant fans to DC. Speedfan might work now. Regardless, I can and do control my fans' speed through my motherboard and it works well. 

However, that doesn't actually answer my question unless SpeedFan can see & respond to the temperature of my GPU and CPU combined....  

Each head can be adjusted per a device. No reason to set the fans for a combined or average temp of multiple devices. Wouldn't work  well if it did. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Each head can be adjusted per a device. No reason to set the fans for a combined or average temp of multiple devices. Wouldn't work  well if it did. 

Given we're talking about cooling GPU and CPU on a single loop/radiator, I believe factoring in both devices is relevant. If the GPU is hot, and the CPU is cool, I still need the radiator fans to increase to keep the temps down. Likewise, if the GPU is cool/idle and the CPU is handling a workload, the fans need to increase. 

24 minutes ago, FrankV said:

Yes, it can do that.

You can set up a fan curve for the GPU, another for the CPU, both affecting the same fan, and have the fan response with either the max or sum of the temps.

Since I also have my CPU and GPU in the same loop, that's how I have my SpeedFan setup. My fans will slowly ramp up if either my GPU or CPU start getting warm.

---

1 minute ago, PrimeSonic said:

Yes, it can do that.

You can set up a fan curve for the GPU, another for the CPU, both affecting the same fan, and have the fan response with either the max or sum of the temps.

Since I also have my CPU and GPU in the same loop, that's how I have my SpeedFan setup. My fans will slowly ramp up if either my GPU or CPU start getting warm.

Thank you very much. I'll try to get SpeedFan working on my system. 

On 6/9/2017 at 10:08 AM, PrimeSonic said:

Yeah, a single 240 for two components is less than the minimum rad space you'd want.

As a rule of thumb, you want 240mm of rad space for each heat generating component at a minimum.

If you want lower temps, you'll need more radiator space.

The temps you're getting are okay. They're similar to the temps you'd get on some air coolers.

They aren't dangerous temps by any stretch.

You can try adding fans in push/pull and raising the fan speeds to compensate.

Thats honestly a thought I never understood.  Throw a single 120 AIO on a cpu, persay get a fury x which has a 120 AIO, and thats fine. But throw them in a 240 custom loop and its not enough?

Well, a single 120mm radiator isn't going to perform much better in terms of cooling compared to a high end air cooler.

I don't think I'm remotely qualified to get into the math and physics behind why it takes more than the sum of radiators to cool the same components sharing a loop.

But the short of it is, you're dumping more heat into the loop when you have a second component and to keep cooling on the same level, you'll need to spread that out over a greater area/mass.

Again, your temps are fine. They just could be better if you had a bit more radiator space.

If that's not in the budget/plans right now, don't worry about it. 

But if you do get the chance to expand your loop some day, take it. You'll be glad you did.

---