Best cheap reliable 2tb HDD

Gershy13

What do people generally reccomend for a 2tb internal drive? 

I need a drive to store all my family pictures on (600+ GB)

They're currently on a WD blue 1tb which is getting filled up cos it has all my other files on it too. I was thinking of getting a 2tb so I didn't need to get another one later. The new 2tb drive is just gonna contain all the pictures and videos from my camera. 

I want it to be reliable and not fail on me, as it probably won't have a backup.

I haven't had any problems with WD in the past. I've used their blue 1tb in my pc as a storage drive, and a blue 500gb as a main drive in an old computer.

I've heard some people having issues with Seagate drives, so that's why I'm worried. 

As I will be editing the pictures in lightroom and videos in premiere, I think it needs to be reasonably fast.

I'm also on a low budget.

What would people reccomend for my purpose?

I saw the WD blue 2tb 5400rpm (it's supposed to replace the green series)

But it's 5400rpm, so wouldn't it be slower? How much slower than the blue 1tb 7200rpm would it be? That drive is fast enough for me. ( 150ish mb/s read and write)

I also saw some drives from Toshiba and Seagate. (Toshiba p300, Seagate Barracuda)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gershy13

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

You can get Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for 2TB, they are great

You can store important files on the SSD and dump the rest on HDD

The reliability issue with Seagate is just backblaze and their made up stuff that seems spreading fears and horror about nice Seagate

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

I have a Seagate 2TB 7200rpm in my computer and has never failed me in anyway

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You can get Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for 2TB, they are great

You can store important files on the SSD and dump the rest on HDD

The reliability issue with Seagate is just backblaze and their made up stuff that seems spreading fears and horror about nice Seagate

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

I have a Seagate 2TB 7200rpm in my computer and has never failed me in anyway

Thanks. I've already got a WD blue 1tb, which will be my dedicated drive for dumping random things in. The 2tb will be used basically only for pictures and stuff off the camera.

And my ssd is only 120gb, and its nearly filled up, so I won't be putting anything on there...

So you reccomend Seagate? I'm worried cos I've heard lots of stuff about them before. And it's possible that the computer will lose power while powered on, as we have power cuts fairly often. The WD drive has had no issue taking this, so I want the new drive to be able to withstand it too.

And also what about speeds? Is the Seagate fast? It's the Barracuda model I'm looking at.

29 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

They're currently on a WD blue 1tb which is getting filled up cos it has all my other files on it too. I was thinking of getting a 2tb so I didn't need to get another one later. The new 2tb drive is just gonna contain all the pictures and videos from my camera. 

I want it to be reliable and not fail on me, as it probably won't have a backup.

I haven't had any problems with WD in the past. I've used their blue 1tb in my pc as a storage drive, and a blue 500gb as a main drive in an old computer.

I've heard some people having issues with Seagate drives, so that's why I'm worried. 

As I will be editing the pictures in lightroom and videos in premiere, I think it needs to be reasonably fast.

But it's 5400rpm, so wouldn't it be slower? How much slower than the blue 1tb 7200rpm would it be? That drive is fast enough for me. ( 150ish mb/s read and write)

I also saw some drives from Toshiba and Seagate. (Toshiba p300, Seagate Barracuda)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gershy13

WD Red 2 TB

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

5 minutes ago, domandric034 said:

WD Red 2 TB

I don't think the OP will need the Red series' features.

If you don't care about speed, go for Green. If you want a great drive with decent performance, but is also cheap, go for WD Blue. If you badly want a powerful HDD (which, by reading your needs, you'll be fine) there is the Black.

36 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gershy13

WD Blue. I've got no idea about the speed of the drive, but honestly, I believe you'll be limited by the SATA bus on the mobo instead of the drive.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

7 minutes ago, domandric034 said:

WD Red 2 TB

Too expensive. I could spend a bit more and get the WD black 2tb. But I don't have that kinda money.

Just now, ELSknutson said:

I can't really find it to buy anywhere other than like eBay. 

Just now, Gershy13 said:

Too expensive. I could spend a bit more and get the WD black 2tb. But I don't have that kinda money.

Get WD Blue 2 TB then

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

1 minute ago, Gershy13 said:

were are you located I have the drive linked  were to buy it 

3 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

I don't think the OP will need the Red series' features.

If you don't care about speed, go for Green. If you want a great drive with decent performance, but is also cheap, go for WD Blue. If you badly want a powerful HDD (which, by reading your needs, you'll be fine) there is the Black.

WD Blue. I've got no idea about the speed of the drive, but honestly, I believe you'll be limited by the SATA bus on the mobo instead of the drive.

They don't have a WD blue 2tb in 7200rpm. And the green series has been discontinued. I explained it all in my first post.

And the sata 6gb/s bus limiting a mechanical HDD??? Surely it's not gonna be ssd speeds?

1 minute ago, domandric034 said:

Get WD Blue 2 TB then

I would, but they don't have a 7200rpm model blue in 2tb

were are you located I have the drive linked  were to buy it 

I'm in the UK.

I've just done a search on Amazon UK (I'm assuming that you're happy to buy online, please correct me if I'm wrong), and if you need the 7200rpm speeds, you're limited to Seagate. I found a BarraCuda drive, just here.

2017 Gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Thanks. But it doesn't look like its actually sold. Looks like it's OEM

1 minute ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

I've just done a search on Amazon UK (I'm assuming that you're happy to buy online, please correct me if I'm wrong), and if you need the 7200rpm speeds, you're limited to Seagate. I found a BarraCuda drive, just here.

Yeah ideally £60 is the max I wanna spend on a drive. And yes I'm fine shopping online. Amazon or ebuyer. (Prefer Amazon as I have prime)

4 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

Thanks. But it doesn't look like its actually sold. Looks like it's OEM

Yeah ideally £60 is the max I wanna spend on a drive. And yes I'm fine shopping online. Amazon or ebuyer. (Prefer Amazon as I have prime)

they are sold trust me.

4 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

they are sold trust me.

Yeah I know but what I meant was. It doesn't look like it comes with any warranty or anything

2 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

Yeah I know but what I meant was. It doesn't look like it comes with any warranty or anything

well beings its sold on amazon there return policy is top notch but you are asking allot for under 60.00 . I have had  2 of these drives in my system for over 3 years and it still going strong  and for 54.00 for a 2 tb you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a WD black 

6 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

well beings its sold on amazon there return policy is top notch but you are asking allot for under 60.00 . I have had  2 of these drives in my system for over 3 years and it still going strong  and for 54.00 for a 2 tb you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a WD black 

If the drive is brand new, it'll be covered under the manufacturer's warranty anyway, as I've found that PC component retailers' warranties never count for anything. They charge you for 'diagnostics' before sending it off, and charging you.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

If the drive is brand new, it'll be covered under the manufacturer's warranty anyway, as I've found that PC component retailers' warranties never count for anything. They charge you for 'diagnostics' before sending it off, and charging you.

So which one would you recommend? The two biggest brands are WD and Seagate I'm assuming.

I agree with @AlphaGamer46 also by time you send your warrantied drive back  and wait for a new one you would have been better off spending the shipping money and time on getting another new drive.

So which one would you recommend? The two biggest brands are WD and Seagate I'm assuming.

Personally, I'd pick the Seagate, as it matches your needs, and it is a very reliable hard drive.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

Personally, I'd pick the Seagate, as it matches your needs, and it is a very reliable hard drive.

Thanks. It looks like I'll probably go with that. Mainly because of the fact that it's a big brand (in hard drives) compared to the likes of Toshiba and HGST/Hitachi.

But what would the speed difference be between a 5400rpm WD blue 64mb cache. And this Seagate?

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

I agree with @AlphaGamer46 also by time you send your warrantied drive back  and wait for a new one you would have been better off spending the shipping money and time on getting another new drive.

1 hour ago, Gershy13 said:

This is going to bite you in the ass, and you're going to wonder why you never made a backup when it all goes horrible pear shaped.

Any drive can fail, hell ive had 3 DOA's myself, let alone the ones that have lost partitions, hard-errored or had general degradation over time.

If you want something reliable, HGST is the most reliable in general - but no idea what availability is like in the UK for those.

Otherwise just get a Seagate Barracuda, or a WD Blue or Red.

Maybe get a cheap external case as well for the 1TB drive, and use that for doing backups for now? Given you'd still have ~400GB free space to work with.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

16 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

This is going to bite you in the ass, and you're going to wonder why you never made a backup when it all goes horrible pear shaped.

Any drive can fail, hell ive had 3 DOA's myself, let alone the ones that have lost partitions, hard-errored or had general degradation over time.

If you want something reliable, HGST is the most reliable in general - but no idea what availability is like in the UK for those.

Otherwise just get a Seagate Barracuda, or a WD Blue or Red.

Maybe get a cheap external case as well for the 1TB drive, and use that for doing backups for now? Given you'd still have ~400GB free space to work with.

Yes thanks. I do have an external 2tb usb 3.0 Seagate backup plus. I'll be backing up my ssd and blue 1tb to it... And maybe until it fills up I'll be able to backup the new drive too...

HGST is the most reliable? As @ElSknutson linked me to. It is possible to buy from the UK. And it's still within my price range. So I could either get that, the Segate Barracuda, or the WD blue 5400rpm 2tb... They are all the same price.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks

58 minutes ago, Gershy13 said:

Which would you recommend?

HGST would definately be my recommendation - having owned a number of Hitachi drives as well.

Unfortunately theyre niche here in the AUS/NZ region - so they have quite a hefty premium down here.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA