4k TV as Monitor

sundawg89

Just looking to see if anyone here is using a 4k TV as their PC monitor. I have done my research and find a few TV's I like such as the Samsung MU6400 I have linked below that not only supports 4:4:4 chroma and HDR as well as 60fps at 60hz and also has under 15ms of input lag. I was going to go with the 40" version but just wanted to see if there is anyone else that is doing the same?

Here is the one I am looking into: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU6400-40-Inch-SMART-Ultra/dp/B06XWQXSDV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496784230&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+mu6400

I checked this against reviews from here which give great detail into input lag and 4k pc experience:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

If you are planing on gaming, then no. 15ms response time is unplayable. 5ms or under is essential for gaming. But if you are just using it for normal tasks it's fone

you'll need to make DAMN sure it'll do 4k 60Hz, and beyond that you'll just face issues like having absolutely no adjsutability to the foot. i used to have a TV strapped to my system, IMO it aint worth it.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

If you are planing on gaming, then no. 15ms response time is unplayable. 5ms or under is essential for gaming. But if you are just using it for normal tasks it's fone

I won't be playing any multiplayer games, just single player mostly and general tasks so it should be fine for me. 

Just now, manikyath said:

you'll need to make DAMN sure it'll do 4k 60Hz, and beyond that you'll just face issues like having absolutely no adjsutability to the foot. i used to have a TV strapped to my system, IMO it aint worth it.

Yeah I have double and triple checked, it does 4k 60hz. This is the PC I will be running with it:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CtQQ2R

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Uh, no, 15ms is excellent.

All standard 60Hz monitors are about 10-20ms input lag.

Maybe you're thinking about "response time" which is sometimes advertised on the box, that number literally means nothing.

There is no standard testing for pixel response time, and it does not actually give any idea about how fast the panel is.

Input lag testing from a site like displaylag.com or rtings.com is what actually matters.

Old tvs are about 50-100ms input lag, which is fine for gaming casually, just not fps games.

15ms is really good for a tv, basically as good as a regular monitor.

Obviously 120/144/165/200/240Hz monitors have less than that, but tvs are 60Hz, and you can game perfectly fine on 60Hz.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

you must have a terrible time playing games at 60FPS then, because that's longer than 15ms ;)

Just now, Enderman said:

10-20ms input lag.

input lag != response time tho.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you must have a terrible time playing games at 60FPS then, because that's longer than 15ms ;)

I don't play games at 60 fps xD

Just now, manikyath said:

input lag != response time tho.

Response time (the number advertised by the manufacturer) is an insignificant useless piece of information because there is no standard testing for it, so every manufacturer comes up with that number differently.

Input lag, which can actually be tested by sending data to the screen and measuring how long it takes to show up, is what ACTUALLY matters.

Information about input lag can be found on monitor/tv review sites like displaylag.com or rtings.com.

Input lag is the number that you should care about, NOT pixel response time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I don't play games at 60 fps xD

Most people do.

60Hz is like what 90% of the population uses.

Still good for playing games as long as you aren't trying to go pro or anything like that.

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most people do.

60Hz is like what 90% of the population uses.

Still good for playing games as long as you aren't trying to go pro or anything like that.

So would you recommend it based on my pc's specs? 

4 minutes ago, sundawg89 said:

So would you recommend it based on my pc's specs? 

Yeah for sure, it will work great.

Remember to plug your HDMI into port 1 on the TV, and rename the input to "PC" so that most post processing is disabled.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

15 ms is extremely fast lol, that is imperceptible, and by a large margin.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll keep you posted on how it performs!

I have a Samsung UE55HU7500  4K TV and an Asus PB287Q  Monitor and although they are both 4k (3840 x 2160) the Asus monitor is far superior in definition and picture  quality. It has 1ms response time, unfortunately I dont know the TV's but I really can't  tell the difference between them in that respect. I have been playing "Ghost Recon Wildlands" and "The Division" and  tend to play on the TV as my surround sound system is focused on the TV but the Monitor is far superior in quality.

• 1 month later...
On 07/06/2017 at 7:27 PM, Vipermk2 said:

I have a Samsung UE55HU7500  4K TV and an Asus PB287Q  Monitor and although they are both 4k (3840 x 2160) the Asus monitor is far superior in definition and picture  quality. It has 1ms response time, unfortunately I dont know the TV's but I really can't  tell the difference between them in that respect. I have been playing "Ghost Recon Wildlands" and "The Division" and  tend to play on the TV as my surround sound system is focused on the TV but the Monitor is far superior in quality.

Thanks for the info! I think Samsung TV's perform pretty well and I have gone for the one I stated in my original post, the MU6400 40" and couldn't be happier!