Feedback on my build

I was wondering if this is a good gaming pc for current games.  I want to keep the budget under $1000 USD.

My build

3 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

I was wondering if this is a good gaming pc for current games.  I want to keep the budget under $1000 USD.

My build

oh hey

5 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

My build

No need for an after market  cooler on a non over clockable cpu, z170 motherboard when the cpu doesn't support overclocking, no ssd, over the top psu, and way way over the top wifi card  

Get a 1600 and use the stock cooler and try to fit a ssd in the budget

8 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

My build

The PSU is completely overkill. For the motherboard I would pick a H270 or a B250 board. For the RAM I would suggest you to buy 2400 Mhz RAM since the H270 and B250 motherboards only support up to 2400 Mhz. For your CPU, the i5 7500, you don't really need an aftermarket cooler since it's not overclockable. Of course, if you do choose an aftermarket cooler you can optimize the quietness of your system! (also better cooling) However, you could easily spare some money by keeping the stock cooler! ;)

16 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

My build

Okay, here is some of my opinion:

1. Ryzen will be better for your money

2. If you wanted to use that CPU, you should've went with B××× or H××× series chipset instead of that Z170

3. Your Wi-Fi card are waaay overpriced, TP-Link TL-WN951N are much cheaper and better overall. That Asus is just they typical "Gamers" mark-up

4. Nicely picked case, Tesseract is always been a good choice for budget builder :)

5. Power Supply is on point, i can't point any better pick. Even though its little bit overkill, its good for some upgrade potential in the future

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card  ($373.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1009.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-03 17:37 EDT-0400

You could get windows off kinguin for $30 or just not activate windows, you just wouldn't be able to change the background and there would be a watermark on the background.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

44 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

My build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bVZ3F + $30 Windows from Kinguin and here you have it.

R5 1600 with 16 GB 3200 MHz + RX 580 (Sapphire Nitro+)

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

A lot of people are suggesting that you go with ryzen, and that is probably the better choice. Although some people have a mindset that their computer has to be from intel and intel only, so if you are going to get something from intel, don't get a overclockable motherboard with a  non overclockable cpu, and that motherboard would require a bios update to even support that cpu, so you are really just creating more problems with those parts. 

Go with Ryzen. 

3 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

A lot of people are suggesting that you go with ryzen, and that is probably the better choice. Although some people have a mindset that their computer has to be from intel and intel only, so if you are going to get something from intel, don't get a overclockable motherboard with a  non overclockable cpu, and that motherboard would require a bios update to even support that cpu, so you are really just creating more problems with those parts. 

Go with Ryzen. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I would like to stay with the an intel CPU, but what mother board do you suggest that I should get.  I'm trying to have a star wars kind of theme with blue and some red in there.

Here is my opinion on your original build suggested:

1. Don't get a Z170 motherboard if you're getting an i5 7500. Those boards are intended for unlocked CPUs, and typically 7th generation CPUs should be paired with 200 series chipsets and 6th generation with 100 series. You paired a 100 series motherboard with a 7th generation, there is a good chance they won't be compatible without a bios update which is only possible using a 6th generation CPU. Basically, if you go with an i5 7500, get a B250 board.

2. You don't need an aftermarket cooler for a locked CPU. The stock cooler will do just fine.

3 Try and fit in an SSD. With the above changes it should be possible while staying in budget. SSDs are amazing.

4. The SuperNOVA NEX is a super misleading PSU. On paper it looks good, but it's actually very poor quality. Don't get it! Get something like a Corsair CXM grey unit or Seasonic S12II/M12II if you want something cheaper. Alternatively the EVGA G2/G3/P2 or Corsair RMx/RMi are also good options.

5. Consider Ryzen 5.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

Here is some nice overall PC. I do recommend the Ryzen for that extra 2 cores, but i throw Intel build too if you prefer that (Its fully overclockable)

AMD Ryzen

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hQhdTH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hQhdTH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($126.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Video Card  ($250.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.88 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.69 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($16.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $974.59

Intel Kaby Lake

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sFpWTH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sFpWTH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($228.49 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250M GAMING PRO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($75.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Video Card  ($250.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.69 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($16.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $966.87

I've been thinking of using a Crystal 460X RGB instead of a Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case

25 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

I've been thinking of using a Crystal 460X RGB instead of a Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case

Do you want the Crystal case accounted for in the overall price of the system?

yea.  I'm thinking of using the Crystal 460X RGB because its got blue RGB which works with my theme and tempered glass because I want to show of my build 

2 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

yea.  I'm thinking of using the Crystal 460X RGB because its got blue RGB which works with my theme and tempered glass because I want to show of my build 

Are you going to pay full price for windows or use kinguin?

windows.  why is there a cheaper way to get windows?

3 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

with the Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter do I have to have something sticking out side my pc?

That Black antenna in the picture will be outside the case as it screws onto the back of the bracket. I would go for a powerline adapter if you can't run a cable from your router to the pc. They are better than wifi for online gaming as well.

36 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That Black antenna in the picture will be outside the case as it screws onto the back of the bracket. I would go for a powerline adapter if you can't run a cable from your router to the pc. They are better than wifi for online gaming as well.

ok.  I just wanted a Wi-Fi card just for a way to connect to the internet in case I don't have a Ethernet cord with me or access to a router.  is there a type of powerline adapter that I should get?

1 minute ago, brandon_57 said:

ok.  I just wanted a Wi-Fi card just for a way to connect to the internet in case I don't have a Ethernet cord with me or access to a router.  is there a type of powerline adapter that I should get?

I have used TP-Link ones in the past and they have worked great for me. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend as some have more features such as A/C passthrough (Basically a plug socket on the front so you don't use up a socket) and you can also get ones with wifi if you want to connect other devices such as tablets/smartphones etc.

Something like this for example has A/C passthrough so you can still plug something else into it. Obviously yours would have a US socket:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z5-004D-00002&cm_re=powerline_adapter-_-1Z5-004D-00002-_-Product