MSI GTX 980 Ti

Laming

Hello all,

Last year I made a post about my MSI GTX 980 Ti that died within the warranty period (12 month warranty period, died at 11 months). MSI refused to RMA it as I live in Australia and I bought it from Newegg (USA). Can I do anything to fix this card? It was well taken care of, I still have the original box, receipt and all. At this point I'd like to do anything I can to restore this card, it's just sitting in the box in my closet.

Backstory -- I can't remember the exact amount, but roughly 8 months into owning the card I started seeing blue/red artifacts on my ShadowPlay recordings.

This is what it should've looked like

This is what I saw on my ShadowPlay recording

It then started getting progressively worse VC47zLi.png

Eventually it got to the point where as soon as I would get to the windows loading screen when starting up the PC it would freeze permanently until I hard shut down.

I mean apart from cleaning it, replacing the thermal paste etc... and checking all the capacitors for leaks, there isn't much you can do, no matter how many posts you see baking your gpu wont fix it, and you shouldn't try it 

49 minutes ago, Laming said:

-snip-

Nothing you can do with the card, it's failing. Which MSI branch did you contact? If you had contacted the Australian branch, said the card was a gift and you don't have the receipt and gave them the serial number then things might've worked out.

This is why you shouldn't buy expensive things from overseas, it's not worth the savings.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1.Try inspecting under the shroud,cooler,etc and see if anything is obvious

2.Try Putting new thermal paste

3.If none works,try to bake the card in a oven you don't care about (don't use that oven to bake food anymore or the food will become contaminated 

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

2 minutes ago, vong said:

Nothing you can do with the card, it's failing. Which MSI branch did you contact? If you had contacted the Australian branch, said the card was a gift and you don't have the receipt and gave them the serial number then things might've worked out.

After trying to fake MSI,and if that trick doesn't work,or they get to know you're faking,they will probably never call or answer your request even again.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

3 hours ago, vong said:

This is why you shouldn't buy expensive things from overseas, it's not worth the savings.

The savings were ok, but I bought it from Newegg as that's the only company I've ever trusted when buying PC parts. Thanks for the input though.