What is your opinion about the intel -x series processors?

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

I do buy the idea that originally Intel only planned going up to 12c/24t and when they saw Threadripper incoming they were forced to add up to 18c/36t on the mix to remain in front of AMD, in other words competition has saved the day.

I am very excited about Intel finally quitting the lazyness though I'm still not picking up any of these HEDT cpu's the 1800x is still more than enough for multi-threaded applications and the i7 7700 is going to suffice me until the CPUs I DO want to purchase which should be the mainstream Canon Lake 10nm 6c/12t i7, on latest IPC and great base clocks that will be the true gaming king.

From what we know of Coffee Lake so far, its not posed to be that much better than Sky/Kaby in terms of IPC. They claimed 30% over a 3.5GHz 2c/4t Kaby Lake chip. Not much to beat... I'm probably just going to wait for the 7820X to go on sale, pick it up, and be done with it.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

6 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

You realize I wrote Canon Lake not Coffee Lake don't you?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

You realize I wrote Canon Lake not Coffee Lake don't you?

I did not realize that. Must have read too quickly.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

10 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It was... for server parts. Skylake X probably would've maxed out at 12c if Threadripper hadn't come along, as evidenced by the 12+ core parts not having anything set besides name, core count, and price. When amd announced Threadripper Intel probably went into overdrive to have consumer parts that were better.

So the 18 core chip was in development as a Xeon, and then was converted into a Sky Lake x chip as a response to Threadripper?  

Makes sense.  I'm not sure how long it would take to do that, but a couple of months seems about right.

@RadiatingLight I asked aobut gaming. I can get those or higher on a i7 and still do fine. Most games won't take advantage of more than 4 threads, those that will still tend to not go past 8 so far as we;ve seen. So again why do I wanna buy a pricy ass i9 for gmaing when it doeisnt help me? Spend the extra moeny on a better GPU and cooler. I think you are confusing the idea that extreme or X series chips are for consumers with normal incomes. They are not they are for indiepdant content creation and peopel who blow moeny cause they can. 75% of gamers probobly won't even consider them, another 10% may consider them but find betetr alternatives for less. 

12 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

So the 18 core chip was in development as a Xeon, and then was converted into a Sky Lake x chip as a response to Threadripper?  

Makes sense.  I'm not sure how long it would take to do that, but a couple of months seems about right.

Judging by the fact that they don't have clock speeds or TDP down for the SKUs based on the larger dies, most likely yes. 

Intel would've started about a month and a half ago when Threadripper was announced. Explains why they wouldn't have had time to finalize specifications.

As well, Paul's Hardware mentioned in his video about skylake x that when he and other press were briefed about skylake x a week ago the high core count CPUs weren't even included in the list.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb