How to hook up 12 drives w/ no mobo?

Hikaru12
Go to solution Solved by Hikaru12,

Found another option for me:

NUC boards don't have PCI ports but they do have M.2 slots. This company sells an adapter from M.2 to PCI. I could then connect whatever expander card I need and go from there. 

Is there any way to control 12 drives without requiring a motherboard? I've seen PCI SAS cards but I've always assumed they still require a SATA controller from the motherboard itself. I'm trying to fit a bunch of drives in a compact case so foregoing the motherboard all together in favor of a more portable solution would be great. I'd access it externally either via SAS or some other method. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how about a lenovo sa120?

That's actually not too bad. How are the backplanes on those? Are they removeable should they die one day? 

You will always need to use some sort of motherboard to control anything, that's the entire point. They may not be to ATX specification, but you will always need one.

4 minutes ago, Hikaru12 said:

That's actually not too bad. How are the backplanes on those? Are they removeable should they die one day? 

backplanes shouldn't die very often.

Controllers/sas expanders. can be swapped.

1 minute ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

You will always need to use some sort of motherboard to control anything, that's the entire point. They may not be to ATX specification, but you will always need one.

Don't some cards have controllers built in? How do regular hard drive enclosures work where they take in 4 drives, make them hotswappable and offer an eSata or USB/Thunderbolt interface? Do those use motherboards as well?

Just now, Hikaru12 said:

Don't some cards have controllers built in? How do regular hard drive enclosures work where they take in 4 drives, make them hotswappable and offer an eSata or USB/Thunderbolt interface? Do those use motherboards as well?

They all have a controller. Stuff don't work without a controller, especially with a lot of HDD's.

3 minutes ago, kingkang said:

They all have a controller. Stuff don't work without a controller, especially with a lot of HDD's.

What I mean is the controller is located on the PCI Card and not a motherboard. I find it hard to believe 2 bay direct storage enclosures like Akitas or Drobos use motherboards. Couldn't I just get a JBOD power board and a SAS expander? I'm trying to bypass using a PCI card unless they have standalone PCI ports.

Keep in mind this data is going to be accessed just like a DAS or directly like a hard drive enclosure just with more disks.

Just now, Hikaru12 said:

What I mean is the controller is located on the PCI Card and not a motherboard. I find it hard to believe 2 bay direct storage enclosures like Akitas or Drobos use motherboards. Couldn't I just get a JBOD power board and a SAS expander? I'm trying to bypass using a PCI card unless they have standalone PCI ports.

No that is not possible. For 12 HDD's you will need CPU power and probably a raid-controller.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

Its a good option but they are very expensive.

but if he can afford it then thats fine

The geek himself.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

Its a good option but they are very expensive.

I think this is the easiest way. You can configure your own setup, but compatibility can be an issue.

Just now, kingkang said:

I think this is the easiest way. You can configure your own setup, but compatibility can be an issue.

cool news is it can run server 2012 and 2008 r2.

The geek himself.

Well I don't mind a SAS expander but would like something where I can handpick all the parts. That way if something does die on me I can easily order a replacement or an alternative that's known to work easily. 

Found another option for me:

NUC boards don't have PCI ports but they do have M.2 slots. This company sells an adapter from M.2 to PCI. I could then connect whatever expander card I need and go from there.