3D printer and other machine buying help

Joelbanks5

So I've made a bunch of designs of things I'd like to 3D print and a list of things I'd like to build and have saved up a few thousand bucks to buy multiple machines. I need help with finding the most reliable, cost to performance ratio, build volume, and with a dual extruder 3D printer. I would also like a relatively smallish sized laser cutter, probably about the size of a normal printer(something I can fit on a table). Also, a reliable scroll saw, those are all the machines I've used in school and know I will need. If any other hobbyists or DIYers have other general tools or machines that you'd recommend to make my life easier and what not feel free to list those as well.

thanks in advance!

Damn, that's a lot of gear. Before you buy anything, I would recommend going to your local maker space first. All those machines are great, but if you're not going to continuously use them, they become really really expensive paperweights real quick. 

Personally, I would start with the printer. Dual extrusion is starting to mature, but it's still difficult. The absolute best dual extrusion printers on the market right now are the Ultimaker 3 and thd sigma something or other (Google it). However, if I were to get a printer right now, I'd ditch my ultimaker original and get a prusa i3 mk2. This machine is absolutely incredible, typically outperforming machines that cost twice or three times as much. Joseph Prusa  is also working on a way to get the machine to print in four different materials using one nozzle. Check it out. 

I'm not nearly as familiar with laser cutters as I am 3D printers, but I know Full Spectrum Laser is pretty damn good. Their products and services have been used on some custom builds here and they just went out to maker Faire to show off a new product, so they are pretty community focused. However, if it was me, I would go with a cnc router. These allow you to machine more materials like metal and carbon fiber which you can't do in a laser. Idk, just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idk about the scroll saw, go to home Depot and see what they got. As for other tools, get a nice soldering iron like the Hakko FXX or whatever it's called. And get a nice tip for it, the K knife seems to be the best tip you can get. 

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Damn, that's a lot of gear. Before you buy anything, I would recommend going to your local maker space first. All those machines are great, but if you're not going to continuously use them, they become really really expensive paperweights real quick. 

Personally, I would start with the printer. Dual extrusion is starting to mature, but it's still difficult. The absolute best dual extrusion printers on the market right now are the Ultimaker 3 and thd sigma something or other (Google it). However, if I were to get a printer right now, I'd ditch my ultimaker original and get a prusa i3 mk2. This machine is absolutely incredible, typically outperforming machines that cost twice or three times as much. Joseph Prusa  is also working on a way to get the machine to print in four different materials using one nozzle. Check it out. 

I'm not nearly as familiar with laser cutters as I am 3D printers, but I know Full Spectrum Laser is pretty damn good. Their products and services have been used on some custom builds here and they just went out to maker Faire to show off a new product, so they are pretty community focused. However, if it was me, I would go with a cnc router. These allow you to machine more materials like metal and carbon fiber which you can't do in a laser. Idk, just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idk about the scroll saw, go to home Depot and see what they got. As for other tools, get a nice soldering iron like the Hakko FXX or whatever it's called. And get a nice tip for it, the K knife seems to be the best tip you can get. 

Haha believe me when I say I have a whole list of things I am working on and things I've already designed I just need to make and then redesign to make better. Plus I have about 3 friends who would be using the machines as well. They will be used often and taken care of.

10 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Haha believe me when I say I have a whole list of things I am working on and things I've already designed I just need to make and then redesign to make better. Plus I have about 3 friends who would be using the machines as well. They will be used often and taken care of.

So leg me get this straight: you have a few project ideas you've had brewing, want a few thousand dollars worth of machines that you don't know how to use, and you want to turn your mom's basement into a maker space for your friends. Dude go to a maker space. Work on the simpler projects first, learn how to use the machines under the guidance e of the people there, then maybe get a printer. 

ASU