Question about GTX 1070 ports

Stargazer13

Hey guys I bought a GTX 1070 Gigabyte video card for my new build and it has these ports:

-1 x Dual-link DVI-D
-1 x HDMI 2.0b
-3 x DisplayPort 1.4

I haven't been keeping up with all the different types of ports in the past few years and I have a few questions:

1.  I'm not sure what the difference is between a DVI-D and other DVI ports. And I also don't know what an HDMI 2.0b port is. I have a BenQ monitor XL2411 that I bought 2-3 years ago. The DVI cable that came with it should be fine with the Dual-link DVI-D port on the video card? 

2. My second monitor is a AOC monitor with an HDMI cord I bought from Walmart a while back. This HDMI port should be fine going in the HDMI 2.0b port? Or do I need a specific HDMI cord? 

3. What are the 3 x 1.4 display ports used for? Do you piggy back these ports from a special cord?

Thanks in advance for any help

1. dvi -d is just digital only, so no vga adapters. hdmi 2.0b is the version, it will work with any hdmi monitor. 

2. It will work fine with any cable

3. Display port is for monitors, they support higher resolutions and don't cost money to add, so thats why there is lots of them on a gpu.

11 minutes ago, Stargazer13 said:

Hey guys I bought a GTX 1070 Gigabyte video card for my new build and it has these ports:

-1 x Dual-link DVI-D
-1 x HDMI 2.0b
-3 x DisplayPort 1.4

I haven't been keeping up with all the different types of ports in the past few years and I have a few questions:

1.  I'm not sure what the difference is between a DVI-D and other DVI ports. And I also don't know what an HDMI 2.0b port is. I have a BenQ monitor XL2411 that I bought 2-3 years ago. The DVI cable that came with it should be fine with the Dual-link DVI-D port on the video card? 

2. My second monitor is a AOC monitor with an HDMI cord I bought from Walmart a while back. This HDMI port should be fine going in the HDMI 2.0b port? Or do I need a specific HDMI cord? 

3. What are the 3 x 1.4 display ports used for? Do you piggy back these ports from a special cord?

Thanks in advance for any help

1. There are two types of DVI ports, DVI-D is the "regular" DVI port, you use it to connect to DVI monitors. There is also DVI-I, which is a DVI + VGA combo port. DVI to VGA adapters will only work in these ports, not the regular DVI-D ports. Other than VGA adapter support, they are the same, so if you are connecting it to a DVI port on a monitor, then there is no difference between DVI-D and DVI-I.

2. Yes, all HDMI versions are compatible, you do not need a special cable.

3. They're just three more ports, you can plug three monitors into them. You can also chain several monitors on a single DP port, but not many monitors support daisy-chaining. This was more useful back when graphics cards only had a single DisplayPort output, now most come with at least two or three so there's not much need for daisy-chaining.

Check here if you have any more questions, it's probably answered here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v20/

Thanks for the help @schakal_No1 and @Glenwing