Water cool loop order

Sorry for the crude drawing but is this loop order ideal or is there a better ordering I can do?

IMG_0022.PNG

As JayZTwoCents says "Loop order doesn't matter (as long as you have sufficient radiator capacity)"

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I would get a reservoir that can take a top inlet port and use that rather than inlet and outlet at the bottom looks cleaner that way IMO. That's basically how I have my loop done (with the inlet at the top of the res). It looks fairly clean

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Order is fine . If you plan on having the water come into res from the top, make sure to get the internal tube/pipe for the res to avoid air bubbles forming

What exactly is an internal tube/pipe? 

That's a pump res combo there right?

That's fine, the rest of the loop literally does not matter.

btw unless you're buying cross flow rads, both tubes exit the rad on the same side, you might need to fix your drawing because it looks like there is only one tube...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, uacole said:

What exactly is an internal tube/pipe? 

Image result for bitspower reservoir pipe

Image result for bitspower reservoir pipe

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

btw unless you're buying cross flow rads, both tubes exit the rad on the same side, you might need to fix your drawing because it looks like there is only one tube...

Seems right to me. Lines going from pump to rad then rad to GPUs. Then GPUs to rad and from rad to CPU. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seems right to me. Lines going from pump to rad then rad to GPUs. Then GPUs to rad and from rad to CPU. 

Oh I didn't realize the GPU was in the loop, I thought it was just his shitty drawing lol.

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh I didn't realize the GPU was in the loop, I thought it was just his shitty drawing lol.

Hahaha I mean it is a shitty drawing. Good thing I teach math not art.

9 minutes ago, uacole said:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump-glass.html

Would this pump work as a top inlet and internal pipe? Or are there better options at that size.

Do you want to use a top inlet?

Because you can also just use the front inlet on the side of the pump, that works too without a pipe.

Spoiler

Same setup im running. Changed the order a few times, nothing ever changed. I have the same pump as well, about to get a second one. You should be with with using a top port if needed, but get the additional piece or just use both ports on the pump itself. 

Horrid pic though. 

IMG_1857.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Also where is a good place in the loop to have my drain port?

13 hours ago, uacole said:

Sorry for the crude drawing but is this loop order ideal or is there a better ordering I can do?

IMG_0022.PNG

My god man, this thing already looks like the gory part of a horror film you could have at least put some arrow heads to show direction.....look you have a 360 plus a 280 radiator so once you add a pump with strong pressure head and flow then you will be golden once all the inlets are actually inlets and the same for the outlets.

Enjoy the journey.

13 hours ago, dany_boy said:

As JayZTwoCents says "Loop order doesn't matter (as long as you have sufficient radiator capacity)"

Try running at least one outlet as an inlet in a loop and see if that statement holds true.

10 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Same setup im running. Changed the order a few times, nothing ever changed. I have the same pump as well, about to get a second one. You should be with with using a top port if needed, but get the additional piece or just use both ports on the pump itself. 

Horrid pic though. 

IMG_1857.JPG

JENGA!!!!

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

21 hours ago, dany_boy said:

I'm really interested in the reasoning behind this. I know he's said this before -- I recall that video but the question is "Why is this the case?"

Surface logic indicates that going from the source of the heat -- to the reservoir would slowly heat up all of the fluid and while obviously running it through the radiator would cool it down before sending it to the CPU it just makes the most sense to me to cool the fluid before returning it to the reservoir.

Seems like that would keep the whole loop on the cool side... 

18 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Horrid pic though. 

IMG_1857.JPG

An unrelated question, how many radiators do you have and what components flow to which radiator? How many components do you feel is ok before you must go to the radiator? 

4 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I'm really interested in the reasoning behind this. I know he's said this before -- I recall that video but the question is "Why is this the case?"

Surface logic indicates that going from the source of the heat -- to the reservoir would slowly heat up all of the fluid and while obviously running it through the radiator would cool it down before sending it to the CPU it just makes the most sense to me to cool the fluid before returning it to the reservoir.

Seems like that would keep the whole loop on the cool side... 

Because of the laws of thermodynamics. 

EDIT: Basically, the water in the loop moves fast enough that the temps of the water do not matter from component to component. Even if the water is a little hotter after it reaches a component (which it is), it does not impact the water's ability to absorb heat in any meaningful way.

23 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Because of the laws of thermodynamics. 

EDIT: Basically, the water in the loop moves fast enough that the temps of the water do not matter from component to component. Even if the water is a little hotter after it reaches a component (which it is), it does not impact the water's ability to absorb heat in any meaningful way.

While a bit prickly, I appreciate your reply. 

However, after posting my question, I came upon this on the EKWB website and I think it's worth sharing: 

The pump set to 50% of speed circulates the whole volume of the coolant in a few seconds. So, whatever the loop order is, you will get pretty much even liquid temperatures throughout the whole loop. Large and complex loops with multiple GPUs can show temperature variations between a few spots, but that is again nothing to be concerned of. 

Source: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/

2 minutes ago, FrankV said:

While a bit prickly, I appreciate your reply. 

Didn't intend for it to come over that way. Was actually looking for somewhere that has a decent explanation of it as it would take forever to write out the whole thing. Couldn't find one that doesn't either make things very vague (typically just a forum post) or go into extreme detail explaining thermodynamics. 

It's mostly a matter of the amount of heat a component outputs increases the water's temperature so little it doesn't really matter when the water is moving as fast as it is. As long as the water is cooler than the components it is cooling (or rather, absorbing heat from), it can still absorb heat, so a few degrees isn't going to make a huge difference. As the water is flowing so quickly, the rads are cooling all of the loop as a whole rather than it being a matter of water going to pick up loads of heat, then go get cooled (in a sense).

1 hour ago, FrankV said:

An unrelated question, how many radiators do you have and what components flow to which radiator? How many components do you feel is ok before you must go to the radiator? 

I Only had 2 rads, the other 360 rad is in the back with the pump. I don't like front mounts as it dumps way too much heat in my case. Especially this high split fin fpi rad. I threw the second 360 back in last weekend along with the flow meter and I added the sli water block again. I only care about temps, order doesn't concern me if the loop is doing its job. The water normalizes so it really doesn't matter.

Order is pump> rear 360> flow meter> 280 rad> ram block> south bridge> cpu> mosfets/vrm> gpu1/gpu2> front 360> gpu backplate 2> gpu backplate 1> reservoir.

IMG_1825.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I have another question. Is a 280mm rad and a 360mm rad, both 30mm thick, sufficient to cool a 7700k and 2 strix 1080's. Also I will be using the 2000rpm industrial noctua fans. I 

Of course. But assuming those thin rads will be high fpi. I use those fans on my rig, not the most quite but they perform well. Compared to the tanish series. 

When I had the GPU in my loop, I went 5.25 bay Res (highest point in the loop) to pump (under the drive cages) to GPU to 240mm rad (on the bottom below the GPU) to CPU to 140mm rad (rear of the case) and back to the reservoir.

The system self-bled amazingly well, but when I put the RX 470 in I didn't feel like yanking the cooler off so I just eliminated the GPU and 240mm from the setup.

I might put the block from my old card on the RX 470 for the hell of it once I know that I won't ever need to pull the 470 out again.

The actual order doesn't really matter much.  Temps within the loop end up fairly uniform with maybe a few degrees difference before and after the rad.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.