I think my power supply just killed my computer?

Tm_Carbon

So a couple days ago I got a EVGA 650 G2 power supply and everything seemed fine. Yesterday when I tried to turn my computer on it turned on then shut off right after and I couldn't get it to turn on again. Today I took everything apart and tried booting it outside the case thinking maybe a wire was in the way. Needless to say it still did not boot so I went about switching out the psu to a XFX 550W. After switching the psu nothing booted again so I started replacing the other parts. I put my old i5-4590 to replace my i7-4790k and booted with only 1 stick of ram and nothing happened. I decided to try to boot off my old Asrock motherboard (which I retired due to it having a couple ports die but it still worked) with my i7-4790k and 1 stick of ram. Everything booted so I went about putting my hardware on the Asrock board to see if it would run. It fully started up but after a minute of me logging into windows the computer shut off. I went back to only having the i7 and stick of ram and it couldn't power on again. I took my i7 out and thought it seemed really hot so when I tested it measured to be 93 degrees fahrenheit. Now I did not have a cooler on the cpu, however with my room being a comfortable 64 degrees I don't think it should have gone up that much. 

current pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cpmaker/saved/4nQTwP

2 minutes ago, Tm_Carbon said:

I took my i7 out and thought it seemed really hot so when I tested it measured to be 93 degrees fahrenheit. Now I did not have a cooler on the cpu, however with my room being a comfortable 64 degrees I don't think it should have gone up that much. 

As in there being nothing on top of the CPU? That's why it shut down, thermal protection. You do NOT run a computer without any heatsink. At least set a heatsink on top of it, even if you don't mount it or anything. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

As in there being nothing on top of the CPU? That's why it shut down, thermal protection. You do NOT run a computer without any heatsink. At least set a heatsink on top of it, even if you don't mount it or anything. 

I had thermal paste on it but I've never heard about having to have a heatsink on it. I've just been using a stock cooler and didn't think it would matter if I left it off. 

No cooling...You might have fried that chip at those temps if it was consistent and for a long period and as above stated... thermal protections may have saved your ass! DO NOT EVER disable it!!! Give it 20 minutes and let the chip get to room temps again, maybe throw a fan on it until then. It's worth the money to invest in good cooling. I have a 4790K as my main computer and it's flawless for me. However I delidded my processor and added liquid pro to mine. + AIO water cooling (Enermax LiqTech240)

As for the power supply question... You should get a tester and find out if it's right or wrong... Could be fluctuations in power also due to unstable outlets or poorly wired outlets. A battery unit like a UPS that can handle the wattage could/would smooth out the power and prevent this most likely before the power supply. Also check your battery on the motherboard. Believe it or not I've ran into this before. 

Just now, Tm_Carbon said:

I had thermal paste on it but I've never heard about having to have a heatsink on it. I've just been using a stock cooler and didn't think it would matter if I left it off. 

Yes, it matters a LOT. Even my old Core 2 Duos shut off within a minute. Thermal paste does nothing wh=ithout anything on top of it. The CPU is the one component you do NOT want to run without a cooler. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

also 93 F is  34 C  and that is  cool for a CPU   can you take a few picks of the system this seems kinda fishy

1 minute ago, Tm_Carbon said:

it matters 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

it matters 

A lot. 

Wait is the stock cooler on the cpu or not?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Wait is the stock cooler on the cpu or not?!?

It was not at the time I posted this topic. Before I started experiencing issues it was always on and it is back on currently. 

Just now, Tm_Carbon said:

It was not at the time I posted this topic. Before I started experiencing issues it was always on and it is back on currently. 

Good, without it you're gonna have the cpu overheat real quick xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

also 93 F is  34 C  and that is  cool for a CPU   can you take a few picks of the system this seems kinda fishy

Here is a picture. Also just curious but any reason why my i5 doesn't have issues without a cooler? Just pure luck?

image.jpg

lower power consumption but if you run your cpu with out a heat sink you will kill it 

20 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

17 minutes ago, AJ-Goodrich said:

No cooling...You might have fried that chip at those temps if it was consistent and for a long period and as above stated... thermal protections may have saved your ass! DO NOT EVER disable it!!! Give it 20 minutes and let the chip get to room temps again, maybe throw a fan on it until then. It's worth the money to invest in good cooling. I have a 4790K as my main computer and it's flawless for me. However I delidded my processor and added liquid pro to mine. + AIO water cooling (Enermax LiqTech240)

As for the power supply question... You should get a tester and find out if it's right or wrong... Could be fluctuations in power also due to unstable outlets or poorly wired outlets. A battery unit like a UPS that can handle the wattage could/would smooth out the power and prevent this most likely before the power supply. Also check your battery on the motherboard. Believe it or not I've ran into this before. 

15 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

it matters 

15 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

A lot. 

Alright the i7 is back in the motherboard *with a cooler* and seems to be running fine. Not going to be forgetting about that I have to have a heatsink on so thanks for that.

Correction: Was fine for about 5 minutes then turned off again. 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

did you put thermal past on it?

It does have thermal paste on it. 

You know the cable with the pins for the CPU? 

Do you have 4 or 8 pins added?

Also, is this overclocked or over=volted? ]

I would reset your CMOS/BIOS to defaults. 

Run it at stock for the moment. 

Just now, AJ-Goodrich said:

You know the cable with the pins for the CPU? 

Do you have 4 or 8 pins added?

Also, is this overclocked or over=volted? ]

I would reset your CMOS/BIOS to defaults. 

Run it at stock for the moment. 

I have 8 pins added. My cpu has never been overclocked or overvolted as I was waiting till I had a decent cooler. 

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

take all your power connections off and reinstall them  and make sure that they are fully seated.

Will do. 

Well I switched everything back over to my Z97 A board and I have the same issue of the system not posting. I did double check that everything was plugged in and everything was seated correctly. 

15 hours ago, Tm_Carbon said:

Well I switched everything back over to my Z97 A board and I have the same issue of the system not posting. I did double check that everything was plugged in and everything was seated correctly. 

Why did you switch it if it's running fine? 

Also did you reset your Z97 cmos/bios to defaults? Reboot it, see if it works, then configure what you need to.

8 minutes ago, AJ-Goodrich said:

Why did you switch it if it's running fine? 

Also did you reset your Z97 cmos/bios to defaults? Reboot it, see if it works, then configure what you need to.

My old Asrock board with some dead ports was working fine with my parts. I knew that board worked (for the most part) so thats what I tested everything on. I wanted to use my Asus Z97 board because everything was working on it before it couldn't post any more. I have reset the CMOS/BIOS and it still can't boot. Fans turn on but thats all it does. 

Ok well I need to know more about your setup. Please list the specs and where you have stuff placed on the board. 

1 minute ago, AJ-Goodrich said:

Ok well I need to know more about your setup. Please list the specs and where you have stuff placed on the board. 

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cpmaker/saved/4nQTwP 

I have the i7, cooler, and 1 stick of ram installed on the board with the necessary cords plugged in. The board turns on as the leds turn on and the cpu fan starts up however nothing actually posts.