How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,703 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

4794395072.png

Aussie Internet :D

Melbourne, Australia

Telstra :P

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

4794395072.png

Melbourne, Australia

You have hfc cable?

What modem?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

4794395072.png

Melbourne, Australia

Wow, I thought they were known for being terrible?  That actually looks really good... assuming it's not like $150 per month or something :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You have hfc cable?

What modem?

Yep it is HFC.

I'm using the stock EPC3925 modem router xD

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

4803796296.png

That's an alright speed, but considering I am supposed to be getting TalkTalk Super Fast Fiber which has an acceptable range of 27 - 38 Mb/s according to technical support its still poor.  I bet if I call them they will direct me to a TalkTalk optimized speed test again and say I have 30 Mb/s.

Google Fiber bitches!

post-167206-0-73681700-1446656649.jpg

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

Does anyone have Google Fiber? would have loved to see that! wish they where every where

post-167206-0-86409900-1446656767.jpg

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

@multitasker451

shouldn't you get like 1Gbps?

Or is that on WiFi (ping is too good to be wifi)

You can get 1 ms ping on wifi, but yeah that speed is pitiful... my friend's plan is one tenth as fast as google fiber and is getting higher speeds than that:

Google Fiber bitches!

post-167206-0-86409900-1446656767.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Think i've won this:

2415912151.png

lucky that's fast compared to my sub par verizon internet. supposed to get 7.1 mbps but they constantly throttle it down to 35 kbps until i do a speed test. 

thanks net neutrality

If you think all console gamers are "console peasants" then you dont belong to the pc master race

but the fan boys on the other hand...

You can get 1 ms ping on wifi, but yeah that speed is pitiful... my friend's plan is one tenth as fast as google fiber and is getting higher speeds than that:

I just did it again.  Results are different:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4805342056.png

I just did it again.  Results are different:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4805342056.png

Seriously, what's wrong with it?  I thought it was supposed to be gigabit?

4805419667.png

Seriously, what's wrong with it?  I thought it was supposed to be gigabit?

If he's wired those speeds would be pretty odd and could perhaps indicate that his device doesn't have a gigabit ethernet nic, the router he's using doesn't have gigabit ports, or that the ethernet cable connecting the device to the router doesn't support gigabit (either a < cat 5 cable or something wrong with the cable).

Or perhaps a wiring issue with the ethernet jack where the WAN connection is coming from. I'm not familiar with google's fiber service so I'm not sure if they wire everything with Cat5e, or if they take advantage of existing coax cabling, but assuming everything is wired with ethernet the best way to test if it's an issue with the google fiber connection or not would be to plug the WAN ethernet cable directly into a device that has a gigabit nic and and run a speed test. if that gives gigabit speeds the problem would probably be one of the above.

On a wifi connection those results would be pretty typical. In my experience wifi speeds generally range from 20-100 megabit in real world conditions based on distance from the router, sources of wireless interference etc...

The second speed test he linked looks like it's most likely on a wifi connection with that 144ms ping...

I at best i get 100/25

4805679971.png

CPU- Intel i7-4710HQ RAM- 16Gb DDR3 GPU- Nvidia GTX 860m OS- Windows 10

From Australia to Alaska (13497km)

4805693112.png

CPU- Intel i7-4710HQ RAM- 16Gb DDR3 GPU- Nvidia GTX 860m OS- Windows 10

4805419667.png

If he's wired those speeds would be pretty odd and could perhaps indicate that his device doesn't have a gigabit ethernet nic, the router he's using doesn't have gigabit ports, or that the ethernet cable connecting the device to the router doesn't support gigabit (either a < cat 5 cable or something wrong with the cable).

Or perhaps a wiring issue with the ethernet jack where the WAN connection is coming from. I'm not familiar with google's fiber service so I'm not sure if they wire everything with Cat5e, or if they take advantage of existing coax cabling, but assuming everything is wired with ethernet the best way to test if it's an issue with the google fiber connection or not would be to plug the WAN ethernet cable directly into a device that has a gigabit nic and and run a speed test. if that gives gigabit speeds the problem would probably be one of the above.

On a wifi connection those results would be pretty typical. In my experience wifi speeds generally range from 20-100 megabit in real world conditions based on distance from the router, sources of wireless interference etc...

The second speed test he linked looks like it's most likely on a wifi connection with that 144ms ping...

We have a wireless connection

4810698587.png

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

4810857155.png

Fibre in Toronto condo for $45+tax, pretty happy overall. 250 plan is additional $30, but I don't live with anyone so no real point.

4810857155.png

Fibre in Toronto condo for $45+tax, pretty happy overall. 250 plan is additional $30, but I don't live with anyone so no real point.

You should be happy.  See that little "faster than 98% of Canada".  Yeah, that's not a lie. And PS you're plan is also cheaper than most :)

4811751830.png

fml

Hey, you're only 73 ms slower than going to the moon and back; not too shabby! :D

4811751830.png

fml

Where are you for something that bad?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Internet via coaxial, I wish it was fibre and faster

4813753269.png

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking