How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,703 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

Here's a SpeedTest result that I think few people can recreate:

Before reaching out and calling it a fake, I have to assure you this is an actual Speed Test. It has been performed from the same computer hosting the SpeedTest server (Yes, I run my own Speed Test Server). I do not know why the download isn't that good since it's essentially localhost but the upload is nice. My guess is that since I've stated this server has 10 GbE connectivity to the Internet, it attempts to download a relatively large file (let's say 500 MB) but the file is "downloaded" before it reaches peak speed. The program then takes this as an input (feedback) for the upload test and uploads an even larger file at which point is takes longer to reach peak speed, but still not enough probably. Again this is just a guess so enjoy anyways.. :-)

UPDATE 1:

Speedtest.net employs an "Anti-Cheat" mechanism. Since I stated that this server has a 10 GbE connection to the Internet, if it sees the Download or Upload result greater that this it does not save the Speed Test and returns a speedtest ID of 0, which means I can't get this little nice image to embed.

UPDATE 2:

Yes, I have a Speedtest server in my LAN.

This is as legit as this:

post-3510-0-71818000-1445254047.png

Either it's a fake or you have really shitty network equipment, and really bad excuses

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Scroll your map over to Greece, in Europe and look in the North for a server in "Veria" and read me its name.. :-)

I never claimed you didn't host a speedtest server, I claimed that the result was incorrect/fake...

Also: I get this result to your server via gigabit: 4757987581.png

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

4759595613.png

$120 a month - unlimited.

The joy of living a few miles outside of a town in Scotland, unable to access that lovely Fibre. Initially I agreed to pay Talk Talk Business £27 inc VAT per month for this slow speeds, but they've managed to trash the deal by increasing the price to £29 + VAT, so now the bill is something like £35 a month.

4765014344.png

The joy of living a few miles outside of a town in Scotland, unable to access that lovely Fibre. Initially I agreed to pay Talk Talk Business £27 inc VAT per month for this slow speeds, but they've managed to trash the deal by increasing the price to £29 + VAT, so now the bill is something like £35 a month.

4765014344.png

Have a look in to changing ISPs I hear plusnet have some good deals.

Have a look in to changing ISPs I hear plusnet have some good deals.

I'm going to be having a look at swapping due to Talk Talk raising the damn prices again and again despite that not being the deal. It'll mean a cancellation fee, but so be it.

Sadly I've performed speed estimate checks with a load of different ISPs and they all tell me estimated speed is 4-4.5Mb/s. My only option would be to pay for them to put in fibre, which just isn't affordable for me.

Meanwhile three miles down the road my local town can get speeds of 25-30Mb/s.

This is not google fiber, but it's pretty darn close.

This is from my university.

4767433297.png

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

I'm going to be having a look at swapping due to Talk Talk raising the damn prices again and again despite that not being the deal. It'll mean a cancellation fee, but so be it.

Sadly I've performed speed estimate checks with a load of different ISPs and they all tell me estimated speed is 4-4.5Mb/s. My only option would be to pay for them to put in fibre, which just isn't affordable for me.

Meanwhile three miles down the road my local town can get speeds of 25-30Mb/s.

Even if you don't get better speeds you can always spend less on your internet.

4768158716.png

speeds look good , but in relity they are very*2 unstable ... 

4777548946.png

Some classic adsl 2+ right here

and very good adsl2+ at that. I average 12/1 on my adsl2+ connection and know others that get a lot less.

I had a screenshot of when I had over 1200 ping. Anyone want to see the screenshot?

nah

mY8d8Xs.png

I had a screenshot of when I had over 1200 ping. Anyone want to see the screenshot?

I remember a certain game that playing over the LAN on Wifi was about 2000 ms of lag... just slightly faster than if the server was on the moon

nah

mY8d8Xs.png

wait, what?  I feel like the ping and downspeed have blended together...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

wait, what?  I feel like the ping and downspeed have blended together...

that's what it looks like, yeah. The actual speed is 1988 ping and 0.22 download. I remember that connection was ridiculously slow, and had trouble loading Google and not timing out.

4782739781.png

vSphere Cluster - 72 Cores - 512GB Memory - 6TB SSD RAW - 42TB HDD RAW - vSphere 7

resonance - Dell PowerEdge R730xd - 2x Intel E5-2667 v3 - 128GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA RTX 5000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

kat - Dell PowerEdge R630 - 2x Intel E5-2690 v3 - 256GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA TESLA P4 - 500GB PNY SSD - 4x1TB Crucial SSD - 2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

starlifter - Dell PowerEdge R720 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 96GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - 2xNVIDIA GTX 970 + 1050Ti - 500GB SSD - 7x6TB HGST HDD - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

ion - Dell PowerEdge R620 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 32GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - NVIDIA QUADRO M2000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro -2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

Main Rig

Intel i7-5820K @ 4.6GHz

MSI X99S Krait SLI Edition

32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 @ 2400MHz

Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme

Intel 280GB 900p

512GB Crucial NvMe

512GB Samsung 860 Evo

EVGA Supernova 850 G2

Thermaltake Core P5

that's what it looks like, yeah. The actual speed is 1988 ping and 0.22 download. I remember that connection was ridiculously slow, and had trouble loading Google and not timing out.

oh god... were they bouncing your signal off a server on the moon?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4060040589.png

More than enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Currently have 300/300 connection from Eesti Telekom (Estonian ISP, best one here).

33€ a month

Thinking of upgrading it to 500/500.

4787390013.png

ASUS Sabertooth X79 :: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.6GHz + Corsair H100i GTX :: 32GB Corsair Dominator GT CL9 DDR3 :: Gigabyte GeForce GTX680 OC 4GB :: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) :: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (VM) :: Western Digital Black 1TB (games & buffer) :: Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX650 650W :: Corsair Graphite 600T Special White Edition :: Plextor DVD-writer :: Logitech G15 Blue :: Razer Copperheard Blue :: Logitech F710 Gamepad :: Logitech G25 :: Saitek X52 Pro

4790197152.png

And note this guys its in PEAK HOUR(s) 

Currently have 300/300 connection from Eesti Telekom (Estonian ISP, best one here).
33€ a month
Thinking of upgrading it to 500/500.

TF? here in Belgium they would charge me 75 EUR/month 250/25 for bisiness fibernet ethernet like thats BS...

I wonder if this is Bisiness Ethernet since its 1MS latancy and faster than 99% of your country... than i would absolutely facepalm since thats some fucking cheap price for bisiness ethernet tho...

I atually have consumer Ethernet the fibernet (Whoppa) stupit name but i call it Fibernet and they promize me 200Mbps DOWN MAX 12Mbps UP MAX 

Whoppa is atually the full package for me wich is Ethernet, Digital TV, HOME PHONE for just a great price here its just 76,99EUR/month

oh god... were they bouncing your signal off a server on the moon?

maybe... 

I think it was a lack of total bandwith, Once I stopped downloading things it went back to normal levels but it's still really bad.