How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,703 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

Where are you for something that bad?

Australia. Once someone starts streaming something I'll immediately get this, but even when it's just me using the internet I get less than 1Mb/s. The only time I sometimes get acceptable speeds is around 3AM (Get 5Mb/s if I'm extremely lucky).

post-259174-0-57212100-1446961461.png

see, i'm average!

but my steam games download at 11Mb so something happened.

Hey look, my signature is invisible!

4778159061.png

Paying for 100/3 VDSL connection. (only 50-100 guaranteed)

Upload sucks here, best you can do is 200/5 on cable (DOCSIS) or 100/3 (VDSL2)

Soon we should be getting symmetrical FTTH with 100Mbps, 200Mbps or even 1Gbps(!!!) but the deployment is VERY slow

following this up...

4814931905.png

After we moved the modem to the networking closet and installed a central microfilter, boost of 20Mbps.

And what exactly happened to the upstream? My VDSL2 connection offers constant 100 Mbit downstream and 40 Mbit upstream. Didn't know there were VDSL2 connections that slow.

It's just the Internet companies here being pigs, easily the line can get more than 3 up, but you just can't use it as a private user. (5Mbps is the highest upload speed offered to the private customer. and that's on a 200/5 plan and only on coax/cable)

if you want to get a 10/10 business connection from the phone compamy it will run you about $1000 a month with a $1500 installation fee (I think it's fiber, not sure though)

The new fiber company will revolutionize the market, with symmetrical speeds like 100/100, 200/200 and 1000/1000 all this for affordable prices.

So.... yeah.

Welcome to the LinusTechTips Speedwave Topic,

Test your internet speed and share your results by joining the LinusTechTips speedwave using this link:

>>Join the LTT Speedwave!<<

If you use the link above then your results will be stored in a Speedwave.

The Speedwave will keep track off all kinds of cool statistics like the average speeds of the people who used the link

Here are the current statistics of the LTT Speedwave:

Speedwave.png

Now that is Internet speed i want :) great setup.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Finally bumped myself from 50/5 up to 100/10.

Got a 24 channel modem that'll definitely support Cox's top tier of 200/20 whenever I feel like bumping up again!

4821716089.png

4840226572.png

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

ae90365724ede96eb9e259a75f0ab4b0.jpg

Hehe, just upgraded

That picture... did you take a screenshot, draw on it digitally (with Paint or the like), and then take an actual photo of your screen?  :blink:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Doing rather well this evening. Usually sits around 5Mbps. Not bad for a 5km line. Not bad at all. Issues with upload at the moment though as getting a lot of errors on my line!

Soon this won't be an issue. Getting FTTP at 330Mbps down and around 20Mbps up...if BT actually deliver ;)

4844225560.png

That picture... did you take a screenshot, draw on it digitally (with Paint or the like), and then take an actual photo of your screen? :blink:

No, used snapchat on my phone to take a photo of my screen and then drew over it

No, used snapchat on my phone to take a photo of my screen and then drew over it

But, why? You can just take a screenshot, or better yet, just post a link to the results image it generates.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

But, why? You can just take a screenshot, or better yet, just post a link to the results image it generates.

Because I'm on my phone ☺

but.... You used your computer to run the speedtest, right?.....

Yeah, but I wasn't @ home and had this picture soo....

Yeah, but I wasn't @ home and had this picture soo....

I'm not following this... so at one point you ran speedtest a home, and took a picture of your screen with your phone, and then posted it later using your phone while away from home?  This still doesn't explain the original question of why did you take a picture of your screen instead of just doing a screenshot...

I'm not following this... so at one point you ran speedtest a home, and took a picture of your screen with your phone, and then posted it later using your phone while away from home? This still doesn't explain the original question of why did you take a picture of your screen instead of just doing a screenshot...

Because I was sending it to my friends using snapchat and saved the picture as I was sending it.

Because I was sending it to my friends using snapchat and saved the picture as I was sending it.

Oh... OK then :)