This is a Topic about the upcoming Steam OS!

To start, what are you thoughts and will you stitch from your current OS to join this one

and does valve have the potential to start an OS? 

any thoughts??

I like the new steam os from what I have seen. . valve does seem to be really trying to get into the lowerend/console side of gaming. And I think this is a good thing. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

it's a console OS, if your Gaming PC is also used for productivity you can't have Steam OS, I won't be switching.

I think it'll be cool to see a Linux distro specifically designed for gaming with Steam integration to the magnitude it's going to have, it's something that's never been done before. Hopefully it'll also bring with it a lot more backing for games on Linux and better drivers.

it's a console OS, if your Gaming PC is also used for productivity you can't have Steam OS, I won't be switching.

Not necessarily. SteamOS at it's core is Linux so with some tweaking you could potentially make it just as useful as any other distro. At that point though there'd be no point in using SteamOS anyway and you'd probably be better off using another distro and installing Steam.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

It's free, hard drive space is cheap, why not dual boot? I know I will, even though I am perfectly satisfied with my current setup. At least at the beginning. The only reason I wouldn't try a free operating system geared towards gaming on my gaming PC is out of laziness. 

I know I will download it as soon as it becomes available though. I'm not sure if the features it has are of the OS or if they are adding them into Steam. Will you need Steam OS to do the game streaming?

The ability to have a Steam box in my living room streaming games from my gaming PC would make it completely worth it for me. Some companies seem to think streaming to portable is what people want, but not me, I want to play my games on my PCs and laptop in other parts of my house.

i will dual boot and experiment with it. At this point we don't know enough about it but i will give it a chance and i will also choose to play on Linux wherever possible. But No it won't be replacing windows for now.

To start, what are you thoughts and will you stitch from your current OS to join this one

any thoughts??

Unless gaming is absolutely the ONLY thing you ever do on your PC, then using Steam OS will not be practical.  It's not likely to support many applications other than games.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I mean Why not... If they keep it updated and growing surely it will become something greater...

Unless gaming is absolutely the ONLY thing you ever do on your PC, then using Steam OS will not be practical.  It's not likely to support many applications other than games.

I like to waste time. If I had this I wouldn't have to do hmk because its only practical to game :P

I'm glad they are doing this, this will set some standards to the main distros, because they are pobably interested in SteamOS games running on it.

any thoughts??

Do you know when it is predicted to be lunched. They claim is is free-license.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

For some resoan, it makes me belive due to Steam OS, Microsoft is either going to work on PC gaming MORE or ABANDON it. Don't know why, but I DO.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

if it can play skyrim, which i doubt, im happy if not i will just dual boot since that is the game i only care about being able to play

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

There is no "SteamOS"  It's Ubuntu with a theme pack and a linux version of Steam.

As much as "SteamOS" makes good press copy, it ain't a new OS.

The files for it have been available on Steam for months.

I will give it a try for sure, I have a main PC used for Productivity + Gaming and a living room PC dedicated to gaming, I will certanly dual boot that with Steam OS.

I believe this is just a first step for PC gamers, with Valve going full support and promotion of Linux, more gaming publishers will have a compelling reason to adopt the platform. It will be great to have an option, instead of PC gamers having to rely on MS forever, and Win8 is a proof of how little MS cares about PC Gamers.

Another benefit could be that it will open MS eyes to the potential of loosing the market share, and start to actually care for gamers on Windows, instead of forcing us atrocities like GFWL or Metro.

There is no "SteamOS"  It's Ubuntu with a theme pack and a linux version of Steam.

As much as "SteamOS" makes good press copy, it ain't a new OS.

The files for it have been available on Steam for months.

Your are kind of right, but I believe there is a bit more then that. From what I understood, they are going deeper on the OS Kernel for make sure Input responses for controllers, mouse and keyboards are as fast as possible, and on the top of that having a standardized based platform where game publishers can focus on will be a huge benefit.

That means instead of having to make sure the game runs on 10 different Linux distros they can focus on 1, and they will probably hit 90% of the Linux gamers.

Bearing in mind the performance boost in linux over Windows i have now. I will be booting between windows/Linux mint/steamOS.

But Ill still need win7 for origin.

I probably won't be using Steam OS as my main operating system. I will probably use it for my HTPC.