Whats a Better MotherBoard For Gaming?

Until you can find margins of errors that have PCIe 2.0 slightly faster than 3.0 because of the "margin of error",the simple fact will be that it does indeed bottleneck.

Since you can't know where the 0.1-1% performance difference comes from [Obviously it's different Motherboards and so on] it's not proven that it's a bottleneck caused by the PCI-e Slot.

And "margin of error" includes inaccurate tools, different drivers, different mobo and so on and so forth. So no, you can't say that PCI-e 2.0 bottlenecks. That's not how it works.

And ffs people need to stop that "bottleneck"-paranoia. It's getting old.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

The only thing to watch out for in an H87 board is the number of DIMM slots, make sure it has more than 4-pin CPU power connector (for base clock overclocking) and that it satisfies your need for PCIe slots, SATA ports, network/ wireless and USB headers. Most people do not require features beyond that.

Also, all motherboards have on-board audio and they're all marginally more or less equal to eachother unless you spend a lot, no matter how much they are marketed as being better than others. So ignore audio when deciding motherboards.

You will get more features with Z87 though, and can overclock the multiplier on 4670K and 4770K. If you get a lesser CPU than those two, just get H87 unless it has too few ports/slots of any kind that you need.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Since you can't know where the 0.1-1% performance difference comes from [Obviously it's different Motherboards and so on] it's not proven that it's a bottleneck caused by the PCI-e Slot.

And "margin of error" includes inaccurate tools, different drivers, different mobo and so on and so forth. So no, you can't say that PCI-e 2.0 bottlenecks. That's not how it works.

And ffs people need to stop that "bottleneck"-paranoia. It's getting old.

Since you cannot prove that they are really errors,i will continue to believe there is the bottleneck.

Are you sure the H series can overclock the cpu. I mean actually overclock not just adjust base clock or something like that to get a little boost.

No, just hearsay lol

Compatible with Windows 95

Gaming motherboards don't really mean anything and are misleading imo. A regular Z87 board like the Asus Z87-A or the Gigabyte Z87 UD3H would be good enough for overclocking and gaming.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So you admit,that it does bottleneck a bit.

I think the Extreme4 and above are pretty feature rich,with purity audio and stuff like that.

It doesn't bottleneck. Just because you game better with an i7 than an i5 doesn't mean the i5 was bottlenecking. That's not how it works.

Bottlenecking is when the something simply can't perform at full capacity because of another parts. That's not happening with pci-e 2.0

ryan_yuhaser No such thing as a gaming motherboard. Also, the mobo doesn't affect performance. Get whatever you'd like. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Since you cannot prove that they are really errors,i will continue to believe there is the bottleneck.

Can you prove that the PCIe lanes entirely account for the difference?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

A good description of the differences can be found here. H87 apparently supports Crossfilre but not SLI, at least I can't find a H87 motherboard that supports SLI.

It doesn't bottleneck. Just because you game better with an i7 than an i5 doesn't mean the i5 was bottlenecking. That's not how it works.

Bottlenecking is when the something simply can't perform at full capacity because of another parts. That's not happening with pci-e 2.0

ryan_yuhaser No such thing as a gaming motherboard. Also, the mobo doesn't affect performance. Get whatever you'd like.

Yes but the problem is not a device interacting with a device,it is the device interacting with a device through a interface,and the interface is "bottlenecking".

Can you prove that the PCIe lanes entirely account for the difference?

Yes,several benchmarks show that 2.0 is slightly slower than 3.0.Do not say these are all errors,because they simply are not.Too much to be a coincidence.

Yes,several benchmarks show that 2.0 is slightly slower than 3.0.Do not say these are all errors,because they simply are not.Too much to be a coincidence.

That is not proof. The test that show different 2.0 and 3.0 results involved completely different motherboards, different memory modules and different cpu. The motherboard is of course a very significant variable. But physically different memory modules and cpu chips can also have small operational differences. Given the very small variance in the results, any one of these or all of them may well account for the difference.

Yes but the problem is not a device interacting with a device,it is the device interacting with a device through a interface,and the interface is "bottlenecking".

What I mean is there's a difference between bottlenecking and simply not performing optimally. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That is not proof. The test that show different 2.0 and 3.0 results involved completely different motherboards, different memory modules and different cpu. The motherboard is of course a very significant variable. But physically different memory modules and cpu chips can also have small operational differences. Given the very small variance in the results, any one of these or all of them may well account for the difference.

Yes yes yes...all motherboards and processors tested with pcie 2.0 have a speed limit chip installed.So true.

404 common sense not found

Yes yes yes...all motherboards and processors tested with pcie 2.0 have a speed limit chip installed.So true.

404 common sense not found

I recognize that you are having trouble finding it. If you wish to claim something as fact, produce proof not supposition.

I recognize that you are having trouble finding it. If you wish to claim something as fact, produce proof not supposition.

There are also some benchmarks using the same mobo,graphics card ,ram,cpu etc,and pcie 2.0 is slower.

Oh wait each slot on the motherboard is different,thus the difference!That makes a lot of sense doesn't it!

• 2 weeks later...

You are literally the thickest person i know....  PCIe 2.0 won't bottleneck at all. No GPU can saturate the bandwidth of 2.0, so 3.0 doesn't make any difference. The performance difference could've been caused by any number of changes such as the memory controllers, specific motherboard, and random error.

If it truly were a bottleneck then going from a GPU that saturates the bandwidth, to an even higher performance GPU that uses even more bandwidth would make no performance difference at all.

This is similar to why in most games there is no difference from going to an i7 from an i5. The cpu isn't the bottleneck its the GPU.