Meet and Squeeze the HTC U11

tsk

ocean_6v_amazingsilver_squeeze_ui.jpg

ocean_6v_amazingsilver17apr17_575px.jpg

The headline feature for the HTC U11 is its new method of interaction: Squeezing. If you’ve encountered any of the marketing material on the device, it’s all about the squeeze. HTC’s new philosophy is that smartphones are stagnating: every generation is just a spec update to the previous model, and the only thing that drives the industry is related to new interaction methods and ways of streamlining the use of a device. Hence the squeeze: by holding the U11 naturally and squeezing between the thumb and the other side of the hand, the squeeze action will do a number of things.

Specs

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.0cd4dfc183fb973fe9a16a5e1b474c8d.PNG

The device looks similar to the recently launched U Ultra, which looks nice, but can it stand out next to the tiny bezels of the Galaxy S8 and G6? I'm not sure.
The big focus here is the squeeze feature, which at first seems like a huge gimmick to me, but we will have to wait for reviews to draw any conclusions.

Other feautures include; boomsound, IP67 dust and water resistance and a fancy new DAC to compensate for no 3.5mm headphone jack.

Source

I think a lot of people will  be angry about no 3.5mm headphone jack, personally I charge and use headphones simultaneously quite often while I'm reading or watching videos in bed.

Well, my M7 is barely working now, but no headphone jack, so it's time to switch brands... any non-samsung SD835 recommendations?

26 minutes ago, tsk said:

I think a lot of people will  be angry about no 3.5mm headphone jack

With good reason. The industry forcing you to dump your premium headphones for some dinky battery on your head, or be required to use the adapter, is beyond arrogant.

34 minutes ago, Majestic said:

With good reason. The industry forcing you to dump your premium headphones for some dinky battery on your head, or be required to use the adapter, is beyond arrogant.

Honestly the included adapter adds very little bulk to your headphones, I agree with the argument of charging and using headphones at the same time, but this little adapter isn't the end of the world. 

71imD3+2yjL._SX425_.jpg

1 minute ago, tsk said:

Honestly the included adapter adds very little bulk to your headphones, I agree with the argument of charging and using headphones at the same time, but this little adapter isn't the end of world. 

If they all supply the adapter free of charge and the connector is as sturdy as a jackplug, sure.

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

If they all supply the adapter free of charge and the connector is as sturdy as a jackplug, sure.

True, it should definitely be included in the box like it is with this phone. As for the sturdiness of USB C I don't know, if it holds up as well as my micro USB and lightning ports, I see no problem, as they have both survived 3 years of abuse without much damage. 

For people that want the 3.5mm jack to live they must vote with their wallets. 

You should include that they also boast having the highest DXO rating for a phone camera and that sexy looking design especially that liquid surface which comes in 5 different colours 

color-family.thumb.jpg.920cfe84458209360b40be26b2b0e3d1.jpg

Only 3000mAh battery on a 5.5" device? Why tho? not like the phone is small

I don't care too much for bezels especially because of the hardware buttons being there instead of software buttons taking up screen space. However the lack of a headphone jack is really disheartening to me. My HTC 10 is still chugging along nicely so hopefully HTC brings the headphone jack back next year.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

Is this a joke? 

5.5" device with iPhone grade bezels and only a 3k battery? Knowing how spotty Android can end up being on battery life, this just seems silly. Squeeze sides? I guess they didn't want to ape a pressure sensitive display that would be more useful and instead went for a bigger gimmick

I feel like HTC is just circling the tube at this point. These devices are not compelling over a Pixel or S8. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

2 hours ago, atrash said:

You should include that they also boast having the highest DXO rating for a phone camera and that sexy looking design especially that liquid surface which comes in 5 different colours 

color-family.thumb.jpg.920cfe84458209360b40be26b2b0e3d1.jpg

Only 3000mAh battery on a 5.5" device? Why tho? not like the phone is small

I personally think it's super ugly from the real life pics I've seen :P. The S8, iPhone 7, Google Pixel (yes, I think this is worse), and the HTC 10 look better. It reminds me of cheapo shiny plastic glass stuff you use for art projects :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Hmm, cool. But why ditch aluminum, I love the 10. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

if i had the £649 for it, i'd probably pre-order it, as the sky blue one looks amazing even though i'll probably wait for project treble to become reality before getting a new phone, although that's going head to head with the sony xperia XZ premium.

also the phone comes with "hi-res" certified earphones, 

5 hours ago, LePawel said:

Well, my M7 is barely working now, but no headphone jack, so it's time to switch brands... any non-samsung SD835 recommendations?

Xiaomi Mi6 or sony xperia XZ premium.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Wish they used the extra top and bottom bezels for front facing speakers and touch buttons though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I personally think it's super ugly from the real life pics I've seen :P. The S8, iPhone 7, Google Pixel (yes, I think this is worse), and the HTC 10 look better. It reminds me of cheapo shiny plastic glass stuff you use for art projects :/ 

I really like that material. especially the blue colour as it reminds me to one of my favourite phone I've ever owned, the Motorola KRZR.

motorola-krzr-k1-1.jpg.9f7cc06c05c08260c0ea0d3f89573974.jpg 

Anyway, to add to the lack of headphone jack, I honestly couldn't careless about it. I barely use it on my 6S anymore. Bluetooth headphones all the way for me simply for the convenient and barely noticeable sound quality different imo. Surprised that HTC is not jumping on the OLED and 'borderless' display fade this time. Also,does it even have wireless charging? 

6 hours ago, LePawel said:

next month the OnePlus 5 is coming. SD 835, 4000mAh, (at least) 6GB of RAM, 64GB or 128GB expandable storage.

OnePlus uses Oxygen OS, which is a near stock version of Android. Also, OnePlus devices are known to have good support on XDA developers. 

450 USD for the base model rumoured.

It's probably one of the best price/performance devices of this year.

24 minutes ago, atrash said:

Surprised that HTC is not jumping on the OLED and 'borderless' display fade this time. Also,does it even have wireless charging? 

No wireless charging. Probably have trouble sourcing good OLED panels and at the same time they avoid the caveats of OLED while delivering a 'good enough' display. Eliminating the bezels might be next on their to-do list but then again they might not do it because of design language (whatever the reasoning behind it may be).

13 minutes ago, HarmFull said:

next month the OnePlus 5 is coming. SD 835, 4000mAh, (at least) 6GB of RAM, 64GB or 128GB expandable storage.

OnePlus uses Oxygen OS, which is a near stock version of Android. Also, OnePlus devices are known to have good support on XDA developers. 

450 USD for the base model rumoured.

It's probably one of the best price/performance devices of this year.

All of that is rumored

I doubt you'll see expandable storage and there have been rumors of anywhere between 3000 and 4000 mAh batteries. The rest is a given except price. OnePlus is slowly pushing the price up.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Wish they used the extra top and bottom bezels for front facing speakers and touch buttons though.

It has boomsound 

13 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

It has boomsound 

But one is front facing speaker, the other is not.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But one is front facing speaker, the other is not.

it's boomsound HI-FI, which is still pretty good, and even on the 10 it sounds clearer than the M8's dual front speakers.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

7 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

it's boomsound HI-FI, which is still pretty good, and even on the 10 it sounds clearer than the M8's dual front speakers.

Just saying though. Seems waste of space on front.

23 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Just saying though. Seems waste of space on front.

The speaker can't sit on top of fingerprint sensor + capacitive buttons. The speaker setup is much improved compared to the 10. However I suspect it's at the expense of battery life. I'm not sure about the science behind it but the resonance chamber (or whatever it's called) probably requires some space to function, so I can imagine increasing the battery size compromises that.