Can you clean my pc components in water/soak in water?

5 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

Is it that bad? Even if I leave it dry for like a month + hour of hair dryer and so on?

10 hours ago, johnno124 said:

basic rule, electricity + water = broken compenents

This whole thing is a joke. Can I soak my psu because cleaning it with a dry cloth would be...c'mon guys. Imagine if he tried though? Even unplugged, switched off, and the power button held down for 5-15 seconds afterwards, I bet he'd still get a shock akin to sticking your finger in a lightbulb socket that was plugged in and turned on the second it touched the water (if he was in contact with it). Not to mention possible rust... like I said, has to be a joke.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

4 minutes ago, crzyces said:

This whole thing is a joke. Can I soak my psu because cleaning it with a dry cloth would be...c'mon guys. Imagine if he tried though? Even unplugged, switched off, and the power button held down for 5-15 seconds afterwards, I bet he'd still get a shock akin to sticking your finger in a lightbulb socket that was plugged in and turned on the second it touched the water (if he was in contact with it). Not to mention possible rust... like I said, has to be a joke.

I have seen bunch of videos on youtube that people clean their components in water. I'm pretty serious about what I'm going to do. 

Just grab a shop vac, problem solved.

-KuJoe

51 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

I have seen bunch of videos on youtube that people clean their components in water. I'm pretty serious about what I'm going to do. 

But have you seen those PCs working or know how long they were off before booting again.

Here's last part of description for the video. I don't really believe much of other things since we don't see same machine booting or know how long it was let to dry.

Very dangerous If not, do not do it. First of all, the water has a problem. Two things will go to the slots. Difficult to dry completely Finally, if the water is not clean, it will be stains and some types of stains on the plate. Copper plates can bring fire, resulting in short circuit. Percent very much collapse.

You can blame Google Translate for horrible quality. In short: If not done perfectly, this will destroy you PC.

You could was whole empty case, but since cases do have some electronics, I vote against. I've actually washed heatsinks under running water before. And let them dry for 24h before using. The current case I have I got used. And very, very dusty. I cleaned it with moist towel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, workstationguy said:

My hyper 212 evo have been sitting for  quite long, they are full of dust. Is it safe to clean them with water? I  also have bunch of case fans from corsair 750d that are very dusty. Can I just soak them in water?  I wont use them for few weeks because I have already bought new case and heatsinks. And is it safe to clean my corsair 750i power supply version with water too? It's a cancer if I hav to clean it inside with clothes.

Theoretically you might be able to. Try it and see. Please report back with the results.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

If you take the fans off you can use water to clean the heatsink (make sure it's perfectly dry before using it again).

1 hour ago, workstationguy said:

Is it that bad? Even if I leave it dry for like a month + hour of hair dryer and so on?

It is bad, there is lubricant inside fans and water would ruin or remove it. It's also hard to completely dry the fan as there are lots of small spaces water can get in.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

If you take the fans off you can use water to clean the heatsink (make sure it's perfectly dry before using it again).

It is bad, there is lubricant inside fans and water would ruin or remove it. It's also hard to completely dry the fan as there are lots of small spaces water can get in.

@workstationguy

1. What would possess you to want to use water? If you really have no access to isopropyl alcohol, I could see using a dmp q-tip with warm water on the PSU fan if you are nervous about taking it apart (Your psu should not be dirty inside as it pretty much just blows out, very little dust gets inside. Besides wiping it down to shine it up, I don't think I have ever felt the need to clean it's interior.

2. Is it that difficult to clean fan blades and heatsinks with a q-tip and compressed air (or just blow with your lips pressed together through each space to get rid of the dust.

3. Just don't, unless you plan on never using the pc again. If it's an experiment, sure, go for it. If, after a month, you may need it again, then no.

4. I still think you are just trolling.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Best option, Use a can of dust remover for the fan. You could remove the fan and clean the heatsink with water as long as you leave it to dry thoroughly. I just wouldn't recommend to water your fan.

Basic Rule: Water + Electricity = No Go!!

REKISO102

Tech Connoisseur

YouTuber

Forum User

Rek has many PC Build Guides but has never built a PC. He does have much knowledge on PC's and Technology.

See you around9_9

This thread reminds me of this:

By the way, that was a ~800 dollar motherboard at the time.

And yes, it did work afterwards. It is not a good idea though. While water itself doesn't harm components, they can make them rust or build up or go through other chemical processes.

As long as there is no power going through the component, regular water and distilled water basically does the same amount of damage (as far as I know at least).

You just need to be sure it is dried before powering it on.

Sure I can clean them, send them to me.

If you want a quick shortcut, just bring it to pc cleaner. They'll be happy to clean it for you and make it like it's new.

Or, buy a electric component cleaner. It's like a high pressure spray bottle, basically you can spray to to anything you want except your own body parts.

SOAK? absolutely not.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:27 AM, workstationguy said:

My hyper 212 evo have been sitting for  quite long, they are full of dust. Is it safe to clean them with water? I  also have bunch of case fans from corsair 750d that are very dusty. Can I just soak them in water?  I wont use them for few weeks because I have already bought new case and heatsinks. And is it safe to clean my corsair 750i power supply version with water too? It's a cancer if I hav to clean it inside with clothes.

Why not just use a piece of cloth and carefully clean them? Blow a few times, maybe buy some compressed air for the small parts. You don't really need water to clean the dust

Hi guys, I took a risk and left them dry for 3-4 days since tuesday. I couldn't remember. I did it with 3 casefans. apparently 2  of 3 still work, and another one just spin for like a second and then stop. I reboot my pc again and it spins like 2-3 seconds at full speed and then spin like 50-100 rpm per second. But my fan controller couldn't detect it. Will dry it another 3-4 days perhaps this would help.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, workstationguy said:

For the most part, no.

I'd think that a heatsink with no fans or anything attached would be alright, just be sure it dry it thoroughly afterwards.

Cases would likely be okay as well, though they might end up rusting a little depending on the material...

Other than that, there's not much else you'd safely be able to stick in water without it causing issues. (Because electronics)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

11 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

Hi guys, I took a risk and left them dry for 3-4 days since tuesday. I couldn't remember. I did it with 3 casefans. apparently 2  of 3 still work, and another one just spin for like a second and then stop. I reboot my pc again and it spins like 2-3 seconds at full speed and then spin like 50-100 rpm per second. But my fan controller couldn't detect it. Will dry it another 3-4 days perhaps this would help.

You probably washed out most of the lube from inside the case fan's bearings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's essentially dead.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

You probably washed out most of the lube from inside the case fan's bearings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's essentially dead.

Can I use lubricant from a local store to repair it?

Just now, workstationguy said:

Can I use lubricant from a local store to repair it?

Possibly, though the more difficult part will be getting it into the fan since not all of them can be taken apart.

Them fans are fucked, to put it bluntly. The corrosion on the PCB will be horrid. Short circuits and broken tracks, you've killed them :/

Whats the problem with Isopropyl Alcohol?

2 hours ago, Flashie said:

Whats the problem with Isopropyl Alcohol?

I guess the effort in it not coming out of a tap and requiring more care than splashing water all over it :)

Even if you unplug your components, water is still very corrosive.  Unless you like rust, I wouldn't recommend it.

No, seriously don't do it!  Corroded components are more then just unsightly, they will no longer function.