Intel Core i9?

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Agreed.  At the same frequency they are identical.  Now we're on the same sheet of music.

Where they differ is what happens when pushed.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I have been through dozens upon dozens of 7700k CPUs and can tell you from first hand experience, they are only slightly warmer then 6700k CPUs at the same given frequency.  When you start pushing 5 GHz and higher with an AIO type cooler, they are going to get hot.  Sometimes very hot.  A lot of people had their hearts set on 5 GHz + for daily use and this contributed to the sky's falling mentality with regards to the 7700k's supposed thermal problems.  

My chip is delidded and cooled via a large custom loop.  I was able to run 5.1 GHz daily before I even delidded it.  I was prepared cooling wise.  Most aren't.

Anyways, figuring that you didn't want to dig through hundreds of pages worth of posts on the Cinebench thread, here is my score with a 5.3 GHz overclock.  I run 5.3 daily so I attached an 8 hour RealBench screen shot of stability.   

1196cb vs 948cb = 22% higher in multi-threaded 

235cb vs 185cb  = 22% higher in single-threaded

With regards to stock or overclocked performance, the 7700k isn't what we'd hope in generational improvements from Intel, but it definitely doesn't suck.

Intel increased the amount of silicon adhesive used when securing the IHS to the substrate.  This in turn resulted in a tiny gap remaining between the IHS and die.  While this gap is filled with TIM, it has no adequate pressure to aid the transfer of heat.  I suspect that Intel did this in order to better protect the die and substrate, which is thinner on KBL compared to SKL.  The TIM that they use is perfectly fine.

We're deffinatly gettting closer.

No one denies that the 7700k can overclock, other than Intel :ph34r:. But you shouldn't have to delid to get there, the point of contention. If I have to void my warranty by removing the heat spreader to get the tempuratures I want, I won't. A 7700k costs more than a 1700 from AMD, and the 1700 outside gaming at 1080p using a 1080ti will crush the 7700k. If you're only using your PC to game at 1080p using a 1080ti, then Intel has made the 6700k the best choice since it won't run as hot. That's a problem I'm running out of ways to say. I need cores, I also game. I can get 6900k level performance from AMD for 330 bucks. If Intel wanted to offer a performance increase over the 1700 for 400 bucks, I'd grab it. Truely. But how can I have that hope, while they deny the problem the 7700k faces? What's the point of going Intel while you have to void the warranty to get the most out of it? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

We're deffinatly gettting closer.

No one denies that the 7700k can overclock, other than Intel :ph34r:. But you shouldn't have to delid to get there, the point of contention. If I have to void my warranty by removing the heat spreader to get the tempuratures I want, I won't. A 7700k costs more than a 1700 from AMD, and the 1700 outside gaming at 1080p using a 1080ti will crush the 7700k. If you're only using your PC to game at 1080p using a 1080ti, then Intel has made the 6700k the best choice since it won't run as hot. That's a problem I'm running out of ways to say. I need cores, I also game. I can get 6900k level performance from AMD for 330 bucks. If Intel wanted to offer a performance increase over the 1700 for 400 bucks, I'd grab it. Truely. But how can I have that hope, while they deny the problem the 7700k faces? What's the point of going Intel while you have to void the warranty to get the most out of it? 

Just so nobody gets the wrong understanding about warranty.  Any overclocking will technically void the included Intel warranty.

Agreed, Intel should have had a better response to some of the thermal issues that some have experienced.  As a reminder, the entire "Intel says no overclocking" came from one post from one Intel employee in a thread.  It wasn't like Intel continued repeating this message.  Everyone knows very well that they turn a blind eye to overclocking and even honor RMAs on CPUs obviously delidded or damaged through owner neglect during overclocking. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Just so nobody gets the wrong understanding about warranty.  Any overclocking will technically void the included Intel warranty.

Agreed, Intel should have had a better response to some of the thermal issues that some have experienced.  As a reminder, the entire "Intel says no overclocking" came from one post from one Intel employee in a thread.  It wasn't like Intel continued repeating this message.  Everyone knows very well that they turn a blind eye to overclocking and even honor RMAs on CPUs obviously delidded or damaged through owner neglect during overclocking. 

Just like this rumor. Intel won't kill it even if not true. I haven't pulled the trigger on my Ryzen update yet because of this rumor. Intel would be crazy to squish it. 

Other than the new socket for the 7640k and 7740k. Just wow. 

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Just like this rumor. Intel won't kill it even if not true. I haven't pulled the trigger on my Ryzen update yet because of this rumor. Intel would be crazy to squish it. 

Other than the new socket for the 7640k and 7740k. Just wow. 

They can't really clear it without elaborating on the warranty.  It's better for them to just let this one ride itself out.  O.o

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

They can't really clear it without elaborating on the warranty.  It's better for them to just let this one ride itself out.  O.o

?

I agree even if they have nothing planned Intel should say nothing. But what about the warranty? 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

?

I agree even if they have nothing planned Intel should say nothing. But what about the warranty? 

If Intel tries to clear the rumor, which really isn't a rumor because an employee did actually say it, they will have to basically say something to the fact of them not having an issue with overclocking. 

We know they don't have an issue with it, but their warranty says you can't do it without voiding. They would have to change that because the community would then call them out for the warranty. 

Right now they turn a blind eye to overclocking and I hope it remains that way. I'd prefer they didn't try to fix anything. Lol

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

If Intel tries to clear the rumor, which really isn't a rumor because an employee did actually say it, they will have to basically say something to the fact of them not having an issue with overclocking. 

We know they don't have an issue with it, but their warranty says you can't do it without voiding. They would have to change that because the community would then call them out for the warranty. 

Right now they turn a blind eye to overclocking and I hope it remains that way. I'd prefer they didn't try to fix anything. Lol

Sorry, my fault. I switched topics on you LOL.

I'm talking about the Kabylake-X and Skylake-X i9 rumor. It's put anyone like me who was planning on buying a Ryzen set up on hold. 

On 5/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, App4that said:

You didn't read, you reacted. I praise the 6700k, it's a great CPU. I put the 6700k over the 7700k, because you don't have to delid the 6700k. The point of contention here is that need to delid the 7700k. My 4790k is only a part of the conversation because it runs at close to the same speed as the 7700k that requires delidding.

Picking up on the theme here?

I'm not a car guy, I'm a PC guy. I react when a company rips off the communtiy, and respond when someone defends them. 

If you're not a pussy either chip should be delidded. If you're going to buy an overclocking capable part and have the means of cooling it, spending $30 on a delid tool is 100% completely worth it for the 7700k OR 6700k.  I've owned both chips, both chips see the same reduction of temps and increased overclocking headroom when delidded.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On 5/16/2017 at 1:08 PM, done12many2 said:

The person that said that is Ronald_M_Intel right?  I was browsing intel community forums whilst at work yesterday, and a few of my co-workers and I couldn't even figure out where he worked in intel.  It seemed like he worked for the NUC team, which in that case I have no idea why he's speaking on behalf of intel talking about OC related parts.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

16 hours ago, Lays said:

If you're not a pussy either chip should be delidded. If you're going to buy an overclocking capable part and have the means of cooling it, spending $30 on a delid tool is 100% completely worth it for the 7700k OR 6700k.  I've owned both chips, both chips see the same reduction of temps and increased overclocking headroom when delidded.

If you didn't void the warranty by doing it, I'm in 100% agreeement. I'd add that cost into the cost fo the CPU when doing a comparisson, but I'd be less salty. 

2 hours ago, App4that said:

If you didn't void the warranty by doing it, I'm in 100% agreeement. I'd add that cost into the cost fo the CPU when doing a comparisson, but I'd be less salty. 

You can reglue  the ihs back on with shit from Walmart and they will accept your rma. 

1 minute ago, Lays said:

You can reglue  the ihs back on with shit from Walmart and they will accept your rma. 

I heard otherwise, and likewise. 

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

I heard otherwise, and likewise. 

I've know a couple of people that bought window reseal kits and other "black goop" and "relidded" with no problems, as long as you do a decent job you really can't tell the difference. Intel has an extremely lax policy on rma