Intel Core i9?

8 hours ago, dexT said:

Enthusiasts like to bench and drastically different cpus on the same platform will be good for that.

That doesn't really make sense. If you're doing it to compare the two, say people buying an i7 7700k vs a 6950k they should be tested on their respective platforms.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

That doesn't really make sense. If you're doing it to compare the two, say people buying an i7 7700k vs a 6950k they should be tested on their respective platforms.

What he's saying is that those enthusiasts that do a lot of benchmarking would like to have the option of running high clock speed / lower core count chips and high core count chips without the need to have multiple platforms.  x299 will allow for this.  

If a benchmarks is heavily single-threaded, they can load up the 4c / 8t chip and clock the shit out of it and score high in that particular benchmark.

If the benchmark is optimized for many threads...  well, you get the picture.  

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

See below

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

What he's saying is that those enthusiasts that do a lot of benchmarking would like to have the option of running high clock speed / lower core count chips and high core count chips without the need to have multiple platforms.  x299 will allow for this.  

If a benchmarks is heavily single-threaded, they can load up the 4c / 8t chip and clock the shit out of it and score high in that particular benchmark.

If the benchmark is optimized for many threads...  well, you get the picture.  

Bingo we have a winna!

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

3 minutes ago, dexT said:

See below

That's...retarded.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's...retarded.

You have "Don't Confuse Post Count With Knowledge", yet I find it ironic considering you have the higher post count with regards to this particular discussion, but tell others that what they want is "retarded".

Either way, as @dexT stated, enthusiast, overclockers and benchmarkers like flexibility and x299 will give them more of it.  That may seem "retarded" to you, but high end components don't necessarily seem to be your thing.  To each their own.  

30 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You have "Don't Confuse Post Count With Knowledge", yet I find it ironic considering you have the higher post count with regards to this particular discussion, but tell others that what they want is "retarded".

Either way, as @dexT stated, enthusiast, overclockers and benchmarkers like flexibility and x299 will give them more of it.  That may seem "retarded" to you, but high end components don't necessarily seem to be your thing.  To each their own.  

How is that irony? That has nothing to do with knowledge...

Not only that, the statement refers to not considering someone who has a high post count as the be-all-end-all answer.

It fits perfectly.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

How is that irony? That has nothing to do with knowledge...

Not only that, the statement refers to not considering someone who has a high post count as the be-all-end-all answer.

It fits perfectly.

I benched this for a round in Division 7 OC Esports since I last commented, not my final sub but still 5th place, probably gonna use a E8600 next.. 

Do you even bench bro?

image_id_1841588.png

21 minutes ago, dexT said:

I benched this for a round in Division 7 OC Esports since I last commented, not my final sub but still 5th place, probably gonna use a E8600 next.. 

Do you even bench bro?

Nope.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Post count = / = Knowledge

However, someone with lots of post count CAN have a lot of knowledge. the two are not mutually exclusive.

and it makes sense that someone with 143 posts will have less of a knowledge base than someone with tens of thousands, since the one who has been on the forum longer knows more points of view, and is more experienced.

it's not a rule - it's a correlation.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

However, someone with lots of post count CAN have a lot of knowledge. the two are not mutually exclusive.

and it makes sense that someone with 143 posts will have less of a knowledge base than someone with tens of thousands, since the one who has been on the forum longer knows more points of view, and is more experienced.

I'm not saying it relates to this situation at all but would an 11yr old with 20,000 posts have more knowledge than say a 30+yr old man like myself at 500 posts but years of hands on experience and more than a decade on other forums?

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Thanks for the breakdown, but I think you stepped in on the back end, which resulted in you interpreting my comment out of context. 

Additionally, I in no way agree with your opinion on post counts. 

Someone with 143 posts here might have 42k posts in another PC related community. Assumptions along these lines would be completely inaccurate. 

I understand that you said this was not a rule, but a correlation, however I don't even see a correlation. 

Simply being around a community for a while racking up posts in the off topic section wouldn't make anyone more well-rounded in a discussion about tech. 

If the core i9 and Whitehaven both turn out to be real, I'd love to see how they stand up against one another. It kinda seems like Intel is realizing that they have a fire lit under their ass from Ryzen, especially the R5 taking alot of the mainstream.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's...retarded.

It's like the stock car racing of the CPU line.  It's not sensible but let the kids have their fancy i9s and none hyper threaded i7s.

54 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

If the core i9 and Whitehaven both turn out to be real, I'd love to see how they stand up against one another. It kinda seems like Intel is realizing that they have a fire lit under their ass from Ryzen, especially the R5 taking alot of the mainstream.

Perhaps.  Skylake/Kaby Lake X were due regardless, but the renaming/rebranding of a few models may indicate that they needed to shift the target market for some of the chips.  Kaby Lake X altogether seems like it may come out as a platform for people that haven't bough a 1151 board yet, rather than the enthusiast alternative - then again I've heard people say it's also a way for some to just invest in the platform for the future.  I think that will be a hard sell given the cost of the boards tend to be high, but we'll see.

8 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

It's like the stock car racing of the CPU line.  It's not sensible but let the kids have their fancy i9s and none hyper threaded i7s.

That's pretty much it.  

I don't think Intel ever planned on  i3 and i5 owners switching over to this platform, but they are making it easier for higher end mainstream folks to transition if they'd like. 

Other than that, it's for the guys who run 4 GPUs, tons of CPU cores and a lot of cooling all while pushing it to the edge. 

Not something that appeals to the average user. Nor is the price, but enthusiasts don't deems to care as much about that. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Not something that appeals to the average user. Nor is the price, but enthusiasts don't deems to care as much about that. 

Yeah, at least I can see the appeal in an i9 in that regard.  Kaby Lake X is going to be a hard sell, even if the benchmarks come out impressive.  Who's buying an expensive platform for a quad core.  To me, intel is trying to fill every gap sort of in between Ryzen so they're not competing directly.  So for Kaby Lake X, that's literally the best analogy I think there is (the stock car).

Just now, Biggerboot said:

Yeah, at least I can see the appeal in an i9 in that regard.  Kaby Lake X is going to be a hard sell, even if the benchmarks come out impressive.  Who's buying an expensive platform for a quad core.  To me, intel is trying to fill every gap sort of in between Ryzen so they're not competing directly.

I for one will grab the 4c and 12c parts just because I like benchmarking and editing. 

4c/8t chips are still a lot more relevant then folks seems to think. 

I have an overclocked 7700k and overclocked  5960x and for daily use and gaming, I'll take the 7700k anyday. 

In the future that may change, but I've been hearing that for years. We still have years to go. 

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

4c/8t chips are still a lot more relevant then folks seems to think. 

Oh no doubt, it's just do you justify going on an enthusiast platform for the same core count with higher IPC for anything other than benchmarks?  Typically those are the type of gains you see with a new generation, but this is still the same generation.  It's almost like what AMD did with Vishera towards the end of its life (although not the extreme they did it, at least you don't need to guess what boards they'll work on like FX9000).

If the boards were priced cheaper than X99, I could see it going stronger for those who are still on older intel platforms.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Oh no doubt, it's just do you justify going on an enthusiast platform for the same core count with higher IPC for anything other than benchmarks?  Typically those are the type of gains you see with a new generation, but this is still the same generation.  It's almost like what AMD did with Vishera towards the end of its life (although not the extreme they did it, at least you don't need to guess what boards they'll work on).

Well for someone currently running on an older platform, but limited on funds, they could transition to x299 and start off with a lower cost 4c chip.  This would give them an upgrade path up to 12c currently, but possibly more with next year's upgraded Extreme chips. 

Intel's Extreme platform is a two year cycle so there's plenty of time for someone's 4c / dual channel RAM configuration to grow into a 12 or more core quad channel beast along the way.  All while remaining on the same board. 

23 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Well for someone currently running on an older platform, but limited on funds, they could transition to x299 and start off with a lower cost 4c chip.  This would give them an upgrade path up to 12c currently, but possibly more with next year's upgraded Extreme chips. 

Intel's Extreme platform is a two year cycle so there's plenty of time for someone's 4c / dual channel RAM configuration to grow into a 12 or more core quad channel beast along the way.  All while remaining on the same board. 

I guess that's fair.  You're still kind of betting on the fact that there won't be huge gains in cpu architectures for a while, and that the platform will be relevent long enough for the 12+ thread CPUs to become affordable.  At least with AM4 you're kinda already safe in assuming they'll keep it alive for the foreseeable future.  It's sort of a matter of how much you prefer to build it and leave it.

On 2017-5-14 at 6:04 AM, RadiatingLight said:

Look how many posts I have :D I know nothing but overclocking things. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

6 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Look how many posts I have :D I know nothing but overclocking things. 

But you probably know A LOT about how to overclock things

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

13 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

But you probably know A LOT about how to overclock things

yes :D 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Does it matter? It will be a few percentage over the Ryzen, but cost twice as much. Don't see any point in arguing about CPUs only elitists will buy :D

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Does it matter? It will be a few percentage over the Ryzen, but cost twice as much. Don't see any point in arguing about CPUs only elitists will buy :D

Elitist = someone who's a dickbag and constantly says that people with i5s can't run games, and that only GTX 1080Ti SLI can provide a good gaming experience.

Elitist =/= Someone who can afford to buy a 7700K

Desktop:

Laptop: