[3rd Update]WCry ransomwsre has possible links to Lazarus Group & PRNK

Master Disaster
4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Honestly, can't be that many if they only got ~100 bitcoins and each bitcoin is ~3 ransoms

So at ~$1,000 per BC they made approximately $10,000? Quite honestly I'd be a little pissed off if I were them, all the havok, all the news coverage and they only made away with 10K.

Oh shit, nvm its $100,000K. Still not exactly a fortune though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

So at ~$1,000 per BC they made approximately $10,000? Quite honestly I'd be a little pissed off if I were them, all the havok, all the news coverage and they only made away with 10K.

Well, lets do the math. They asked for $300 per infection iirc, and 1 bitcoin is about $1000, and I heard they made 100 bitcoins (this could well be higher by now though)

So they made about $100,000 off of ~300 PCs

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If it's only 100k for all that it was not worth it at all

Hello

22 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Having second thoughts about disabling updates now aren't you 

That's why I always update my shit whenever I plan on not using my computer for gaming or 3D content. Even then, I update prior to going on about my business _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif 

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

7 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

If it's only 100k for all that it was not worth it at all

say that to the guy who's $100k richer :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

say that to the guy who's $100k richer :P 

I think he was hoping for a lot more when he realised he hit the NHS

Hello

16 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Really slow

was not optimised properly,

RAM HDD usage of the OS was bad

I could agree to some extent. 

The only reason windows pushed Vista is Xp security reasons. 

We could keep talking about this topic for a long time bro :P

But really which version of OS was fully optimized for end users? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

I think he was hoping for a lot more when he realised he hit the NHS

Furthermore, if it was failure monetarily, that's the best thing anyone can hope for.  We don't want these people making a huge profit.  A) it gives them funding so they can make more of these things, and B) it shows others that they can make a profit, thus drawing more people to the "cause".  If that really is all they made, I'd be very impressed, since it means people have learned to not give in and just accept it.

Just now, Foxxer said:

I could agree to some extent. 

The only reason windows pushed Vista is Xp security reasons. 

We could keep talking about this topic for a long time bro :P

But really which version of OS was fully optimized for end users? 

Yh I know, we could go on for a long time.

IMO I think windows 7 was the best and I personally had little problems in my experience. 

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Yh I know, we could go on for a long time.

IMO I think windows 7 was the best and I personally had little problems in my experience. 

Wasn't W7 pushed from Vista? :P 

I just want to run linux already arghhhh.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Just now, Foxxer said:

7 was polished vista, basically what vista was supposed to be imo.  Remember how long vista took?  I think they were just like "this has gone on long enough, we have to release something" and so they just let it go, and then followed it up later with what they really wanted.  In a way, it was a good thing since it bogged down everyone's crappy computers, forcing them to upgrade while taking the blame, so that when 7 came out, everyone could run it with ease and it was seen as the second coming xD 

Just now, Foxxer said:

I think it's only like 10% of the Vista kernel that was used. Everything else was rebuilt

Hello

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

I still remember that Aero sh*t from W7 on my thinkpad. 

Collecting dust somewhere.

So, why is Microsoft only patching this exploit now that it's being targeted by non-government groups? The exploit has been known to exist for a while, and Microsoft could have patched it before now, if they had wanted to. I think this shows that Microsoft willingly leaves exploit-avenues open for the USA government to make use of.

Keep in mind that Microsoft reports newly-discovered vulnerabilities to the CIA before attempting to patch them. So, Microsoft likely knew of this vulnerability long before the general public knew of it, and likely were the ones to make the NSA aware of it, specifically so that the NSA could exploit it, resulting in the creation of this ransomware that is now attacking people. And now Microsoft is only lifting a finger to do something about it because somebody other than the NSA is using it.

Of course, Microsoft isn't the only company risking everyone's data and security, but they are still one of the very worst offenders.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

56 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

So, why is Microsoft only patching this exploit now that it's being targeted by non-government groups? The exploit has been known to exist for a while, and Microsoft could have patched it before now, if they had wanted to. I think this shows that Microsoft willingly leaves exploit-avenues open for the USA government to make use of.

Keep in mind that Microsoft reports newly-discovered vulnerabilities to the CIA before attempting to patch them. So, Microsoft likely knew of this vulnerability long before the general public knew of it, and likely were the ones to make the NSA aware of it, specifically so that the NSA could exploit it, resulting in the creation of this ransomware that is now attacking people. And now Microsoft is only lifting a finger to do something about it because somebody other than the NSA is using it.

Of course, Microsoft isn't the only company risking everyone's data and security, but they are still one of the very worst offenders.

Err, MS patched the exploit back in March for 8.1, Server 2012, 10 & Server 2016. Anything older didn't get a patch because they're end of mainstream support.

The patches issued recently were emergency patches for everything from 8 back to XP as were reactionary to the cyber attack.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

-SNIP-

Actually according to Jerry A.K.A Barnacles (BarnuclesNergasm), Many governments request access to the source code of the kernel to make sure they are safe. The NSA then go through this code line by line and find any exploits, If they can defend themselves against it and can use it they usually will not tell anyone about it, however, if they know they cannot defend themselves then they will notify Microsoft to fix it.

When the files were leaked regarding the exploit Microsoft released a patch as soon as they could(for W10 only), But most companies affected by this use Windows XP, or Windows 7 which Microsoft did not need to patch as they had stated their support of the product was not going to be as mainstream as W10 devices.

Hello

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm not sure when Microsoft was aware of this bug in SMBv1 or when they may have told Government agencies about it but it's been known and advised for a long time in the IT security community to disable SMBv1 if you can, we would but we have some legacy systems that only talk SMBv1 which we at least now have some solid evidence to finally say no you will upgrade that old shit. It's extremely annoying when you say something is a security risk and it's not taken seriously until something happens, having to say told you so every time is freakin bullshit.

Also advanced warnings of patches get sent out to Premier Support customers, we get about 4-5 days warning in advance. I can't post any of them as they come with confidentially clauses and warning not to redistribute. There are also weekly newsletters sent out to us covering more general security related stuff etc.

By the way, this might be a good time to disable SMBv1 even if you are fully patched.

Basically everything these days use SMBv2 anyway, so it should not have any drawbacks, while protecting you from future attacks like this.

Open powershell as admin and type in:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 0 -Force

You can also enable it again with:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 1 -Force

Instructions taken from Microsoft's website.

SMBv2 was released with Vista so as long as you don't use network file sharing with an XP machine or older regularly, then you will be fine. Samba has also supported it since 2011 (version 3.6).

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Err, MS patched the exploit back in March for 8.1, Server 2012, 10 & Server 2016. Anything older didn't get a patch because they're end of mainstream support.

The patches issued recently were emergency patches for everything from 8 back to XP as were reactionary to the cyber attack.

March is still recent. The leaked CIA hacking files date up to 2016, which means the NSA had been using this exploit since at least 2016.

It could be as TAHIRMIA said:

56 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

The NSA then go through this code line by line and find any exploits, If they can defend themselves against it and can use it they usually will not tell anyone about it, however, if they know they cannot defend themselves then they will notify Microsoft to fix it.

But it could also be as I theorized.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Actually according to Jerry A.K.A Barnacles (BarnuclesNergasm), Many governments request access to the source code of the kernel to make sure they are safe. The NSA then go through this code line by line and find any exploits, If they can defend themselves against it and can use it they usually will not tell anyone about it, however, if they know they cannot defend themselves then they will notify Microsoft to fix it.

When the files were leaked regarding the exploit Microsoft released a patch as soon as they could(for W10 only), But most companies affected by this use Windows XP, or Windows 7 which Microsoft did not need to patch as they had stated their support of the product was not going to be as mainstream as W10 devices.

Windows 7 has Microsoft security support until January 14, 2020

Windows XP ended years ago. Organisations were having to pay Microsoft to continue it.

Windows Vista, Microsoft ended security support on April 11, 2017

This means when ended: no hotfixes, no critical updates and no patches unless you pay Microsoft.

Microsoft only released the patch yesterday for XP - as governments would have forced them to do so. With hospitals being attacked.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Just to confirm... is it only Windows OSs being affected by this ransomware / worm?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/

Mirosoft really needs to stop with BS lines like this. Windows 10 users were targeted. All Windows OS were. Just unpatched/unprotected systems were vulnerable.

Microsoft solution available to protect additional products

Today many of our customers around the world and the critical systems they depend on were victims of malicious “WannaCrypt” software. Seeing businesses and individuals affected by cyberattacks, such as the ones reported today, was painful. Microsoft worked throughout the day to ensure we understood the attack and were taking all possible actions to protect our customers. This blog spells out the steps every individual and business should take to stay protected. Additionally, we are taking the highly unusual step of providing a security update for all customers to protect Windows platforms that are in custom support only, including Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003. Customers running Windows 10 were not targeted by the attack today.

This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

This blew up. Good grief.  My office IT department sent out a mass alert at 6PM on a friggin' Saturday to tell everyone they were pushing Malwarebytes to all the company computers that didn't already have it.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh shit, nvm its $100,000K. Still not exactly a fortune though.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, lets do the math. They asked for $300 per infection iirc, and 1 bitcoin is about $1000, and I heard they made 100 bitcoins (this could well be higher by now though)

So they made about $100,000 off of ~300 PCs

Bitcoin is at $1800.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz