[3rd Update]WCry ransomwsre has possible links to Lazarus Group & PRNK

Master Disaster
3 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

Password has been found WNcry@2ol7

Hide contents

Warning! there are links to malware samples on this github page.

it's also been sinkholed. the malware checked if a domain was active and if it was then it just ended. I guess the makers wanted a way to stop the worm should they been too.

https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/how-to-accidentally-stop-a-global-cyber-attacks.html

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

12 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

it's also been sinkholed. the malware checked if a domain was active and if it was then it just ended. I guess the makers wanted a way to stop the worm should they been too.

https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/how-to-accidentally-stop-a-global-cyber-attacks.html

Haha amazing job right there, well done to that guy/team.

18 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Having second thoughts about disabling updates now aren't you 

Nah, these attacks are usually aimed at important people. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

28 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Indeed, that's an incredible blog post right there. Imagine accidentally stopping something this big.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

46 minutes ago, leadeater said:

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Indeed, that's an incredible blog post right there. Imagine accidentally stopping something this big.

yeah, they register 100s of domains from this sort of thing.

This time it just happened to stop a massive worm. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Thats a really interesting read.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

4 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Do you know where to get the source? I can't find it anywhere 

Hello

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Do you know where to get the source? I can't find it anywhere 

it is credited in that link. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_ens/status/863055007842750465

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

@leadeater basically, security professional researchers, government security agencies, software manufacturers all worked together to stop this causing further damage

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

it is credited in that link. 

Under Malware Samples?

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Under Malware Samples?

I edited my post to the twitter post of the person who found it. 

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

@leadeater basically, security professional researchers, government security agencies, software manufacturers all worked together to stop this causing further damage

Yea I did read it and there are many organisations that do this work but it's just very amusing that they found and implemented the disarm before they even knew it lol, that's a rare feat and likely not repeated any time soon.

And this is why, as a home user, you shouldn't be holding on to old versions of Windows (at least, not without extensive anti-malware protection and a lot of caution).

Yeah, you may not be entirely comfortable with Windows 10's data sharing (although the concern over that feels overblown) or UI tweaks... but do you know what's worse?  Having all your local data held for ransom.  And it's one thing if it's just your personal system, but it's another if it's a family or work computer.  Be nice to others and don't leave their stuff vulnerable just because you think Microsoft reached OS perfection in 2009, folks.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea I did read it and there are many organisations that do this work but it's just very amusing that they found and implemented the disarm before they even knew it lol, that's a rare feat and likely not repeated any time soon.

Very very lucky. I would say.

Lucky that the right people in the security industry were in the right place and the right time and that had contact to security agencies 

Imagine someone actually stopping the attack getting SWATTED mistaken for the perpetrators. Because that was what could of happened as they intervened into the attack.

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I edited my post to the twitter post of the person who found it. 

I meant the source code for Wanna?

Hello

'Murica.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It uses an SMBv1 vulnerability, so I assume it is carried out over the network.

Yeah but how does it reach the networks, especially home users who are only connected to their own Wi-Fi.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Raskolnikov said:

Yeah but how does it reach the networks, especially home users who are only connected to their own Wi-Fi.

It's a internet worm basically sniffs devices that are vulnerable, it is epidemic lel.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It uses an SMBv1 vulnerability, so I assume it is carried out over the network.

I know that much but how?  Is it like, you click an email link (don't think so) or something else?

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

it is using the NSA remote exploit, it scans ips and spreads with no user interaction.

So my theory was right, it just directly attacks any computer it can see on the network/internet.

if you're infection disconnect from the network, don't pay the ransom. I would count the data as lost of you don't have a back up and just fresh install. 

Couldn't agree more.  Not everyone does though...

if you're not infected clicky that start button and update. 

xD yeah by now, if you haven't, idk what to say

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

It potentially could if you have wine installed.

I suppose in theory you're right it could execute, but since the vector by which it attacks the machine would not be present, wouldn't this require intentionally running the program?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

50 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I meant the source code for Wanna?

oh, maybe click one the links in the scanning part? 

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So my theory was right, it just directly attacks any computer it can see on the network/internet.

it uses the nsa SMB exploit from the information I can find. 

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose in theory you're right it could execute, but since the vector by which it attacks the machine would not be present, wouldn't this require intentionally running the program?

SMB is on Linux so the exploit might work and if wine works it could run. though wine created a fake c drive so it would encrypt that rather than your files. 

Whether it could be used against Linux in another form I don't know. These are the types of malware that I fear most people on Linux.

One does not need root to access ones data.

10 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Yeah I know, just nothing I've read goes into the details of how that actually works

10 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

SMB is on Linux so the exploit might work and if wine works it could run. though wine created a fake c drive so it would encrypt that rather than your files. 

Whether it could be used against Linux in another form I don't know. These are the types of malware that I fear most people on Linux.

I thought Linux used its own thing (Samba) for interfacing with windows shares?  If so, would that not be completely different code that is in all likelihood not vulnerable?  Also, I don't know if this is still the default but Wine used to automount a "Z" drive as well which pointed to /, so though that could get everything

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just so that everyone knows, this is not the password you can use in case your files have been encrypted. It is just the password the used by the malware to unpack itself.

In fact, each file gets encrypted individually and they all use separate keys.

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And this is why, as a home user, you shouldn't be holding on to old versions of Windows (at least, not without extensive anti-malware protection and a lot of caution).

No... This has nothing to do with using Windows 7 or 10. Windows 10 was just as vulnerable as Windows 7 was.

Hell, even Windows XP was patched.

26 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know that much but how?  Is it like, you click an email link (don't think so) or something else?

It uses several different methods and for different parts of the malicious code, but it heavily relies on an exploit in SMBv1.

It's not a Trojan though. From what I can tell, simply being connected to someone on the same network, or being reachable with SMB over the Internet can get you infected. No user input necessary.

Quote from Talos:

The malware then has the capability to scan heavily over TCP port 445 (Server Message Block/SMB), spreading similar to a worm, compromising hosts, encrypting files stored on them then demanding a ransom payment in the form of Bitcoin.

Additionally, Talos has observed WannaCry samples making use of DOUBLEPULSAR which is a persistent backdoor that is generally used to access and execute code on previously compromised systems. This allows for the installation and activation of additional software, such as malware. This backdoor is typically installed following successful exploitation of SMB vulnerabilities addressed as part of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010. This backdoor is associated with an offensive exploitation framework that was released as part of the Shadow Brokers cache that was recently released to the public. Since its release it has been widely analyzed and studied by the security industry as well as on various underground hacking forums.

WannaCry does not appear to be only be leveraging the ETERNALBLUE modules associated with this attack framework, it is simply scanning accessible servers for the presence of the DOUBLEPULSAR backdoor. In cases where it identifies a host that has been implanted with this backdoor, it simply leverages the existing backdoor functionality available and uses it to infect the system with WannaCry. In cases where the system has not been previously compromised and implanted with DOUBLEPULSAR, the malware will use ETERNALBLUE for the initial exploitation of the SMB vulnerability. This is the cause of the worm-like activity that has been widely observed across the internet.

Organizations should ensure that devices running Windows are fully patched and deployed in accordance with best practices. Additionally, organizations should have SMB ports (139, 445) blocked from all externally accessible hosts.

16 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I doubt it. The exploit is not in SMB by itself, but rather how SMBv1 is handled by Windows.

Just now, LAwLz said:

It uses several different methods and for different parts of the malicious code, but it heavily relies on an exploit in SMBv1.

It's not a Trojan though. From what I can tell, simply being connected to someone on the same network, or being reachable with SMB over the Internet can get you infected. No user input necessary.

I understand that it can infect a whole network, but doesn't someone have to download it on one of the machines in the first place?

E-mail phishing, torrents, etc?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

I understand that it can infect a whole network, but doesn't someone have to download it on one of the machines in the first place?

E-mail phishing, torrents, etc?

no, its a remote exploit. That's how it spread so quickly.