Best free antivirus??

I have been using Avast for the past 1 year. I was discussing with a friend of mine, and he brought up the antivirus topic. He said that Avast isnt that great and that I should use Avira, which is what he uses. Should I switch to Avira or something else?? Your help is apprecieted.

4 minutes ago, Adimantus said:

I have been using Avast for the past 1 year. I was discussing with a friend of mine, and he brought up the antivirus topic. He said that Avast isnt that great and that I should use Avira, which is what he uses. Should I switch to Avira or something else?? Your help is apprecieted.

Avast is good, but windows defender does the job just as well as the paid ones

I've never had any issues with Windows Defender after upgrading to windows 10. I just use it in conjunction with Malwarebytes scans to make sure I'm getting fully covered and protected from threats. AVG is good on and off but I have had no issues just using Windows Defender since I got Windows 10. Not a joke my friend. 

i use in combination, windows defender and free Malwarebytes (now days comes with free pro trial on install).

On my parents laptops I run free AVG cos it has a button for how much CPU it uses and its icon is easy for my parents to find in the bottom right corner

Just now, princemc said:

I've never had any issues with Windows Defender after upgrading to windows 10. I just use it in conjunction with Malwarebytes scans to make sure I'm getting fully covered and protected from threats. AVG is good on and off but I have had no issues just using Windows Defender since I got Windows 10. Not a joke my friend. 

I recommend Windows Defender and Malwarebytes too, not AVG....

Avira and Malwarebytes

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, TheDane said:

I recommend Windows Defender and Malwarebytes too, not AVG....

I used to use AVG periodically throughout the years but I wouldn't dream of installing it now. 

Malwarebytes is a good choice as other posters have stated.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

put a condom over the ethernet plug. not free but no ongoing subscription costs

Ck76x6SWEAERcBB.jpg

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

AVG and Avast used to be great, but nowadays are quite resource heavy with all kind of nonsense functionality. No longer the best in threat detection either.

Avira and Malwarebytes are very good. If you want that extra peace of mind I'd recommend those, maybe just for a monthly system scan or something, but Windows Defender is certainly capable as well. 

Does you mum know you're here?

38 minutes ago, TheDane said:

Avast is good, but windows defender does the job just as well as the paid ones

Not quite. It may be good now but it's still lacking protection from zero day malware and ransomware. 

45 minutes ago, Adimantus said:

Check out the following websites which AV has higher protection and lower performance impact

https://www.av-test.org/en/ 

https://www.av-comparatives.org/malware-protection-test/ 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Avast Free is definitely my favorite.  No AV program is perfect, but in my experience, it's the best balance between protection and performance hit.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I'm currently using 360 security free with avira and bitdefender anti-virus engine on( option I'm 360 security not a separate anti-virus). Used to use a good but a good anti-virus free bricked my pc 

Just use windows defender and scan with malwarebytes once a month/week.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6