Brother Thinks Folding Is Useless

I dont think we are that advanced in medicin that we possible could cure all that shit. I mean, if you are a real scientist and find a cure against cancer you would make this information accessable for everyone and you wouldnt care about government restrictions.

That is what being a scientist is all about imo!

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I dont think we are that advanced in medicin that we possible could cure all that shit. I mean, if you are a real scientist and find a cure against cancer you would make this information accessable for everyone and you wouldnt care about government restrictions.

I don't understand what you are saying? Are you saying scientists just publish everything to the public? Because I am sure there is a lot of research and information that would be very dangerous in the hands of the public.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Well he's and ass and your younger so he thinks he knows more than you.

Don't worry just join the 12 year old club

I had the same problem...

People who fold will say folding is good and useful.

I for one don't believe folding is being used for what its said it's used for.

And I also believe our medical knowledge is WAY past what we the public know about and is used just as another measure to control us.

Maybe I'm just an asshole though and prone to conspiracy theory's? :P

Biomedical scientist here; the Folding@Home project is being used for what they say it's being used for, insofar as it's being used to calculate how a specific sequence of amino acids will fold into their 3D shape which then allows us to speculate as to what that particular properties of that protein would be. The problem is that it only gives us an indication of a particular protein's properties; it still needs a scientist to manually look over it and then decide to synthesize it and see if it performs the intended function. There are also more convenient ways to obtain a protein for a particular function - for example most of the proteins used for lab work are taken and modified from organisms which use them for their own purposes. If you want to amplify a DNA sample, you use a DNA polymerase enzyme (a kind of protein) from an organism called Thermus aquaticus for example.

The Folding@Home project is only really useful for throwing up unforeseen 3D structures of essentially random sequences, so whilst I wouldn't say it was "useless" and I do not discourage people from doing it, I don't do it myself and nor do I think it will make a huge difference. There are other, far more constricting bottlenecks to these fields of research than our ability to calculate protein folding - especially since it requires human discretion eventually anyway. There is a competitive element too ofc, to which the scientific significance of the work is essentially irrelevant.

As for Matsy's comment about the public's knowledge of the field, I'm inclined to agree - but that's only because the area is so poorly covered by the media, and most of the scientific literature is either hard to understand or not freely available outside the scientific community. Most of the conditions we consider untreatable are in fact not entirely so. There is a documented cure for HIV for example using bone marrow transplant, and gene therapy can be used to relieve genetic disorders like cystic fibrosis (although infecting a person with a GM virus is somewhat unpalatable). There's even a cure for solid tumours which uses a monoclonal antibody which inhibits angiogenesis and therefore blood supply to the tumour. The downside to the latter is that it also cuts off blood supply to the fingers, toes and ears causing them to fall off - but the point is it works. More promising is the use of 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose to clog up the metabolic pathways of cancer cells specifically, until they are starved of energy and die. Such treatments take years to come to fruition though, since they must be tested on various animals before the process of clinical trials on humans can even begin - the results of which are far from certain ofc since curing cancer in a mouse is not the same as curing cancer in a person.

Even that assumes that the public view of the therapy is acceptable, which in the case of gene therapy (using a virus to fix a person's genes) or phage therapy (using viruses to kill bacterial infections which are resistant to antibiotics) it is not.

Well... BOINC and F@H is usles for YOU. You even pay money for the Power your PC uses while folding. Bt we do it for funn and for ding something good for sience and ya lastlely humantiy...

So, save up build your own PC and game/fold/LTT with it!

I take it that's in the US?

Yep

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Also @Matsy

NO! Stop right there! Do not bullshit with conspiracy theories! This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

I hope no one else believes this. 

Of course not. My electricity bill is 10 € / month higher because my computer is on nonstop. Guaranteed. 

whether you like it or not there will always be conspiracies based on power/greed/knowledge etc. I wont comment or stir anything up any further now, but you have to be a sheep to just believe everything the media/world spits out at you.

I can, at least in NH. I don't know about other places.

In Vermont USA I got a job when I was 14. Started at minimum wage, and then this past summer promoted and getting double what I did last year. $18 an hour, and working 30 hours a week. That's the only reason I can afford my stuff. :P

whether you like it or not there will always be conspiracies based on power/greed/knowledge etc. I wont comment or stir anything up any further now, but you have to be a sheep to just believe everything the media/world spits out at you.

I won't reply anything to that because I'll probably get banned. 

But this guy says it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRNpU5J0ySA

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

In Vermont USA I got a job when I was 14. Started at minimum wage, and then this past summer promoted and getting double what I did last year. $18 an hour, and working 30 hours a week. That's the only reason I can afford my stuff. :P

I'm going to get a job next year to start to save up money for college. I also have an allowance that helps pay for the parts in my build.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I won't reply anything to that because I'll probably get banned. 

But this guy says it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRNpU5J0ySA

hahahaha good video, why would you get banned though? would you really be that harsh towards me? im not trying to put you down at all man, you can believe the systems are all in order as they should be, but imagine yourself in the seat of power or being in the government. Honesty is a trait that im not sure exists there... greed for corporate/gov't pensions comes before all, so if your happy submitting to the higher powers than i guess all is right in the world for you.

Tell him that scientists who studied know better than a pony loving 14 year old dumbass.

Then proceed to laugh and think of his future behind a Mdonalds counter.

I'm 12... I don't get money... My parents don't even have money to give me money.. My dad still owes me $50 from June...

I'm 13, my mom owes me money from when I was 8 and just refuses to give it to me...

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

So, I don't have my own computer ("WHAT!? HOW CAN YOU BE A PC GAMER WITHOUT YOUR OWN PC!?" I hear you exclaim) and I generally just browse the forum and Fold while doing it. I used to game, but lack of diversity has made me stop. Also lack of FPS. Anyways, back on topic. He thinks I shouldn't fold and it's "a waste of time". I guess this is what I get for wanting to help people. My mom doesn't like me on the computer all day even though I'm helping people on the forum. Whenever I go on the computer, I'm folding. Whenever he goes on, he's not folding. He just says "Fuck off." when I tell him to fold while being on 4chan.com/mlp. Is my brother an ass or am I just doing something wrong? By the way, he's 14 and can get a job and get his own PC... The PC isn't even in my room. I don't think I want to upgrade my PC anymore because I won't be using it by myself. He downloads a bunch of random photos of ponies.

You both don't own your own system so I don't see a problem here. They're quite within their right to tell you to fuck off if they've (evidently) made it clear they don't want to fold.

Why don't you get your own system, in your own room, under your own control?

Also, a quick visit to 4chan.com puzzled me. If you mean 4chan.org, just go on there and post gore or something to get him IP banned. Post advertisements for weight-loss websites and he'll be banned in no time. VOILA! No more cartoon horses.

I'm 13, my mom owes me money from when I was 8 and just refuses to give it to me...

Not to be an asshole, but she does feed you every day

.. that costs tons and tons of money. Besides, how much could it be. You were 8!

Lanoi, I can give you a free case+ video card. But you need to save up 250 euro's. :P I would gladly build it for you. I have a spare GTX 460 laying around.

Not to be an asshole, but she does feed you every day

.. that costs tons and tons of money. Besides, how much could it be. You were 8!

I'm not complaining, it doesn't bother me, I was just saying having someone owe you money from 4 mo. isn't as bad as 5 years. (and btw it was like $50)

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I'm not complaining, it doesn't bother me, I was just saying having someone owe you money from 4 mo. isn't as bad as 5 years. (and btw it was like $50)

Oh yeah, then it is a downer. I won't accept money from my possible future kid.

Too much pride.

People who fold will say folding is good and useful.

I for one don't believe folding is being used for what its said it's used for.

And I also believe our medical knowledge is WAY past what we the public know about and is used just as another measure to control us.

Maybe I'm just an asshole though and prone to conspiracy theory's? :P

Egh, I don't think some government has the magical cure and isn't telling anyone because they don't make enough money or something. You can't charge a dead man. Still, they say they publish papers with results, but with titles like Marked difference in saxitoxin and tetrodotoxin affinity for the human nociceptive voltage-gated sodium channel, I don't think any breakthrough has been made that's worth putting it in layman's terms for the public.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

So, I don't have my own computer ("WHAT!? HOW CAN YOU BE A PC GAMER WITHOUT YOUR OWN PC!?" I hear you exclaim) and I generally just browse the forum and Fold while doing it. I used to game, but lack of diversity has made me stop. Also lack of FPS. Anyways, back on topic. He thinks I shouldn't fold and it's "a waste of time". I guess this is what I get for wanting to help people. My mom doesn't like me on the computer all day even though I'm helping people on the forum. Whenever I go on the computer, I'm folding. Whenever he goes on, he's not folding. He just says "Fuck off." when I tell him to fold while being on 4chan.com/mlp. Is my brother an ass or am I just doing something wrong? By the way, he's 14 and can get a job and get his own PC... The PC isn't even in my room. I don't think I want to upgrade my PC anymore because I won't be using it by myself. He downloads a bunch of random photos of ponies.

Yep same story here except im the oldest and I have a smaller sister that can be a little pest at time and my mother does not understand what I am doing on the forum|Meanwhile I've been wanting to get into folding for a while and today it is time hopefully!

Well he's and ass and your younger so he thinks he knows more than you.

Don't worry just join the 12 year old club

I think he already is in the club anyway am I in the club :D

Plus you have a freaking beast rig and I've been looking or your build log and do you have one can you send me pictures of the beast :D

Many do that. Can't blame them but why forgive them...

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Considering you have not been homeless from age 8-13 I would consider that repaid.

Unless you are about to tell me that you singlehandedly have been working under the table below minimum wage jobs just barely earning enough money to get by on a day by day basis...

But then again you wouldn't have a PC and internet connection if so :)

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Considering you have not been homeless from age 8-13 I would consider that repaid.

Unless you are about to tell me that you singlehandedly have been working under the table below minimum wage jobs just barely earning enough money to get by on a day by day basis...

But then again you wouldn't have a PC and internet connection if so :)

Like I said before, I'm not complaining whatsoever, I'm just saying in the long run it won't matter, just deal with it and move on.