Open or closed headphones below 300$ for gaming? [Solved]

Hello!

Alright so I have decided to keep my Philips Fidelio X2 using a modmic 5.0. The Fidelio X2 are really comfortable, the space in the earpads are huge! I do get some fatigue after using a few hours but that's unavoidable. Since I haven't listened to other good headphones I can't comment on the sound other than say that it's great. I recommend Philips Fidelio X2.

Here's some links to websites/videos that helped me decide.

Before you read below, all information and everything I know if from other people's opinions, I have never owned a real pair of headphones, plan to change that with your help! When I've decided I mark best answer as solved and write the headphones here.

Backstory of why I upgrade.

Spoiler

The Reason I am upgrading is comfort, I want more comfortable headphones and wouldn't hurt if it sounds better than my current. I have looked at SSL:s Audio Recommended Gear but it does not mention comfort or gaming(which I understand why), which is a lot different from listening to music.

Have been using kingston HyperX Cloud the last year and a half, I have started to have ear fatigue before using them less than an hour and I normally use them for long sessions, gets really annoying and I just want to take them off. I measured my ears and they are around 15mm(0.59 inch) width and 40mm(1.57 inch) height for reference, think I have oversized ears but can't tell.

From what I've read, open back headphones sound better but that closed can have more base, don't quote me on that. Anyway, below are my priority list.

1. Comfort for long sessions
  2. Sound Gaming>Movies>Music (never listened to a good pair of headphones, can't tell you want I like)
  3. Price as cheap as possible, max 300$

After reading through thread by thread, looking at video after video, I have narrowed the headphones down to those you see below (I will run modmic 5.0 with the headphones).

Spoiler

Philips Fidelio x2

215$ 

Some say that they weigh enough to be uncomfortable but still heard by others they are super comfortable?

Open back?

AKG K712 PRO

214$

Same as all other K700 models?

Velour earpads, not changeable?

Open back?

Is the headband comfy?

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X

192$

Doesn't look comfortable with that headband?

Open back?

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

270$

Paying a lot for fashion?

Closed back?

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro

204$

I must buy a DAC/AMP?

Weigh 295g and by looks the it looks heavy on the head?

Looks like HyperX cloud, do they feel the same?

Audio Technica ATH-M50X(with Brainwavzuaudio earpads)

181$

Too little base for gaming?

Closed back?

Not comfy headband?

Below are those that I first thought of buying but removed after some research on how they fair as gaming headphones(information taken from Z Reviews) and that I might need a DAC to really experience it.

Spoiler

Sennheiser HD 599

277$

Sennheiser HD 600

315$

Sennheiser HD 569

199$

Sony MDR-1A

129$

AKG K702

203$

Please comment about open and closed headphones and what pair of headphones you think are the most comfy and sound best for gaming according to you.

Sorry for having to ask so specific, I want the absolute best and will get annoyed if I don't, I don't want to feel this way but it's how I am.

Thanks for the assistance in helping me choose

Best Regards,

Johan

Drop the Momentum they overpriced. Look at the HD series, I've got the HD 439 and have been loving them, Super light and really comfortable. they are open back.

if you want closed back the HD 429. I like the Opens for casual gaming and movies, but for CS:GO and Mechwarrior I use my Clouds are they noise isolate better. 

I have used AT and AKG in studios before and really impressed with them they are great headphones. 

With regards to Gaming > Movies > Music only thing you'll find is gaming headsets are very bass heavy as kiddies love that but also at the cost of clear sound so don't worry to much about getting "Gaming" in the name :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

17 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Drop the Momentum they overpriced. Look at the HD series, I've got the HD 439 and have been loving them, Super light and really comfortable. they are open back.

if you want closed back the HD 429. I like the Opens for casual gaming and movies, but for CS:GO and Mechwarrior I use my Clouds are they noise isolate better. 

I have used AT and AKG in studios before and really impressed with them they are great headphones. 

With regards to Gaming > Movies > Music only thing you'll find is gaming headsets are very bass heavy as kiddies love that but also at the cost of clear sound so don't worry to much about getting "Gaming" in the name :P 

Did a quick look at the HD 439 and overlooking the low price, they seem pretty uncomfortable, had a headphone with that kind of padding on the headband before and started to hurt.

To clarify, when I mean Gaming > Movies > Music I do not mean I want "Gaming headphones" in the product name, according to Z Reviews video the HD 598 have no base which is something I want for those explosions and stuff, basicly more emersion. That is what I mean when saying Gaming > Movies > Music. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Swede said:

Did a quick look at the HD 439 and overlooking the low price, they seem pretty uncomfortable, had a headphone with that kind of padding on the headband before and started to hurt.

To clarify, when I mean Gaming > Movies > Music I do not mean I want "Gaming headphones" in the product name, according to Z Reviews video the HD 598 have no base which is something I want. That is what I mean when saying Gaming > Movies > Music. 

Lol, I would say Z reviews dont have a clue what they talking about (Can't watch the vid at work) My mate got the HD 598's as he's a big Warowl fan and they are without a doubt some of the Nicest headphones to ever touch my head, they are flagship models from one of the top Audio companies in the world, and I've used $1000+ studio ones. If they don't have enough bass for you than you that guy who runs multiple 12" subs in your car and thinks thats good sound. 

People thing bass makes good headphones, that it must shake your head. If thats the case get the skullcandy Skull crushers and Bass Out all day.  

I've never had a issue with my HD439's and wanting more bass. Granted nether have I with my Cloud2's but the 439's were a step up in comfort, But even with them I did get ear ache after really long sessions

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

To add on Not-Sean's comment, I've always felt like the 'bass' you hear in headphones is never the same you get from speakers.

Also, the HD series is very comfortable, especially in long term use. Whilst my latest one (HD8) took some time to adapt due to the extra weight, you can easily wear it for a whole day non-stop (when in long trips or long-session gaming, for example) without regretting it.

Ultimately, if you want to be comfortable in them, I'd recommend you try to go to a store and try them on. A lot of people have extremely different definitions for 'comfortable headphones', so you have to find your own preferences. Heavy? Material? Pressure on head? Stuff like that

You said priced as cheap as possible, well, you just can't go wrong with the Philips SHP 9500 for ~$70 on Newegg. 

Just add a V-moda boom pro if you want a mic for ~$30 on amazon. 

They are very light & comfortable but won't suit smaller heads, due to the large headband. 

The sound quality is just awesome, regardless of price. The bass is super lean and punchy. Mids are forward. Vocals sound great. Some people complain that the treble can be a little harsh sometimes but I disagree. It's just a little more forward than some headphones and I experience no harshness at reasonable volumes (you may be inclined to push the volume higher than normal because they don't block noise and the bass is on the lighter side). 

Personally I don't see myself wanting to upgrade at all, unless I wanted slightly better defined treble and slightly deeper bass. 

8 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

My mate got the HD 598's as he's a big Warowl fan and they are without a doubt some of the Nicest headphones to ever touch my head, they are flagship models from one of the top Audio companies in the world,

They are not even close to being the flagship model m8. You still have the HD 600, HD 650, HD 700, HD 800, HD 800s and soon HD 820 above them.... If you really want to call them anything then it is lo-fi headphones, even my HE 560s are being called mid-fi and those fuckers cost about 1000€ 

Also no just because the HD 598 doesn't have enough bass for a person doesn't mean they are bassheads or anything like that, we hear things very differently and we like different things.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

OP if you want the best for gaming then get AKG K612, K701, K712 or audio technica AD 500x, 700x, 900x, 1000x, 2000x. Those are the best in your budget. They all have some of the biggest soundstage you can get in this budget and some of the best positional audio.

The K712 are comfy AF, very light and soft. The K612s have a hard headband, but are still fairly comfy and the K701s are kinda a mix in terms of comfort. The AD series is a bit weird with the wing design, but if they fit you then they are comfy.

But none of these headphones have a lot of bass and I cannot promise that you are going to like the signature of any of them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

OP if you want the best for gaming then get AKG K612, K701, K712 or audio technica AD 500x, 700x, 900x, 1000x, 2000x. Those are the best in your budget. They all have some of the biggest soundstage you can get in this budget and some of the best positional audio.

The K712 are comfy AF, very light and soft. The K612s have a hard headband, but are still fairly comfy and the K701s are kinda a mix in terms of comfort. The AD series is a bit weird with the wing design, but if they fit you then they are comfy.

But none of these headphones have a lot of bass and I cannot promise that you are going to like the signature of any of them.

Would add DT990's to the list if you wanted to trade some imaging for bass and don't mind glaring treble. I think Beyer is still going to be the most exciting gaming for most* people because of the fun tuning and extension. 

Comfort-wise for me the wings and suspension headbands never worked perfectly (they naturally settled in a reasonably comfortable but never perfect position); traditional adjustments worked better. Lots of people like the other style, though; I suspect that my head may just be a weird shape. All of them are safe comfort choices though; they all have pads noticeably larger than the HyperX's.

*The other 49.9% of the population will hate them with a passion because of the treble.

2 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Would add DT990's to the list if you wanted to trade some imaging for bass and don't mind glaring treble. I think Beyer is still going to be the most exciting gaming for most* people because of the fun tuning and extension. 

Comfort-wise for me the wings and suspension headbands never worked perfectly (they naturally settled in a reasonably comfortable but never perfect position); traditional adjustments worked better. Lots of people like the other style, though; I suspect that my head may just be a weird shape. All of them are safe comfort choices though; they all have pads noticeably larger than the HyperX's.

*The other 49.9% of the population will hate them with a passion because of the treble.

well the DT990's are good, but from a pure gaming view they aren't as good as any of the headphones I recommended and ofc that treble is insane, but sure you get more bass.

The suspension headband on AKG headphones have always worked perfectly for me, but the wings on the AD headphones don't work that well for me and the fact that you cannot tilt the cups doesn't really help. I had a pair of AD500x for a short while I had to bend them to make them fit me well.

Personally I rock B&W P7's, I don't game much but for music and movies they have enough bass for explosions and hip hop. They are well balanced for clear vocals and speech in movies, comfort is on point with very supple real leather and memoryfoam. If it is possible to find them on sale they might be a good option, but if not they are 50 above the budget. Preference is of course personal.

2 hours ago, WhatPlantsCrave said:

Personally I rock B&W P7's, I don't game much but for music and movies they have enough bass for explosions and hip hop. They are well balanced for clear vocals and speech in movies, comfort is on point with very supple real leather and memoryfoam. If it is possible to find them on sale they might be a good option, but if not they are 50 above the budget. Preference is of course personal.

The first impression of those headphones are great, they just look amazingly comfortable and I read some user reviews and they got 9/10 from 18 votes, everyone seem to love them. The predicament is that only one store in Sweden sells them and I doubt that they will lower the price(400$) enough for me to think of them above AKG 712.

Wouldn't say no to those as a daily use at work though, but going with Sony MDR-1A for 135$, saving a few days salary :) If anyone want to comment on the main question of this thread and add your opinion the SONY MDR-1A, do so!

Did I just highjack my own thread? no! You can comment on these if you comment on main thread!

Logitech G430 Gaming Headphones.

These headphones are great for just about anything, and you can use the Logitech Gaming App for controlling sound settings/levels. They are also quite cheap, I actually got mine 50% off, for about $70. I would recommend checking them out.

I still use them to this day, and love them!

If you think that patience is a virtue, than try streaming on dialup.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Check out my new PC build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3v3xvV

1 minute ago, gts250gamer101 said:

Logitech G430 Gaming Headphones.

These headphones are great for just about anything, and you can use the Logitech Gaming App for controlling sound settings/levels. They are also quite cheap, I actually got mine 50% off, for about $70. I would recommend checking them out.

I still use them to this day, and love them!

The Logitech G430 are not my cup of tea, that was when I compared to other gaming headsets.

Made this thread because I know too little of real headphones that are comfortable and sound good, compared to gaming headsets.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 598 C (The close back version) and they are quite nice, really comfortable, tho since they are closed back they tend to get a little bit uncomfortable after a really long time.

It's best to take 10 min breaks every now and then. If you go for the open back version then no worries.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

2 hours ago, Mr. Swede said:

The first impression of those headphones are great, they just look amazingly comfortable and I read some user reviews and they got 9/10 from 18 votes, everyone seem to love them. The predicament is that only one store in Sweden sells them and I doubt that they will lower the price(400$) enough for me to think of them above AKG 712.

Wouldn't say no to those as a daily use at work though, but going with Sony MDR-1A for 135$, saving a few days salary :) If anyone want to comment on the main question of this thread and add your opinion the SONY MDR-1A, do so!

Did I just highjack my own thread? no! You can comment on these if you comment on main thread!

They are also crazy expensive in Denmark and I don't have any experience with any of the other suggestions. As I said it all comes down to personal preference and how much one is willing to pay, I bought mine when they first came out because I had saved and was already ready to pay the price. I imagine you will get exellent suggestions from others on the forum, good hunting.

If you want comfort then the HE400i (or 400s, more in your price range with same design) are the most comfortable pair of headphones I own (and I own a few) and I've almost ever tried (and I've tried a ton). 

You got a load of good recommendations already though. 

Thing I can say is to not go with AKG (even though @Dackzy will hate me for it) but I just don't think they are comfortable at all and the build of my 7XXs isn't all that great either. 

Maybe I got bad luck and I do think the 612 are a lot nicer than the x's. (haven't tried them but that's just what I think lol) 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

If you want comfort then the HE400i (or 400s, more in your price range with same design) are the most comfortable pair of headphones I own (and I own a few) and I've almost ever tried (and I've tried a ton). 

Thing I can say is to not go with AKG (even though @Dackzy will hate me for it) but I just don't think they are comfortable at all and the build of my 7XXs isn't all that great either. 

Maybe I got bad luck and I do think the 612 are a lot nicer than the x's. (haven't tried them but that's just what I think lol) 

I did take a glance at the HE400i/s before your post but since they both cost ~400$ it's quite above my budget and twice as high as my "happy" 200$ mark. Don't want all my fun-money going into one pair of headphones when I've never used real headphones :D

When you say that the AKG are not comfortable at all, do you mean the earcups, headband or the weight of them on the top of your head? I can see that the HE400i are 60% heavier but maybe their solution on the headband are better, please comment on that.

Not sure if most countries have this but in Sweden we have the possibility to buy and test the product at home for up to 14 days (written law) and most have 30 days. Since I don't want to be the douche that orders every pair that I can think of and then returning all but one, I've so far only ordered the Philips Fidelio X2 for 200$ and will order AKG712 if I can get the for 214$, they raised to 300$ today :(

I will try out the Fidelio X2 tomorrow and will probably go with them (if they are as comfy as I've heard) if the AKG712 doesn't get down to 214$. Would like to try out the HD599/600 but no store within 2 hour drive and don't wish to purchase when I got so much doubt for them (now I'm sure they are excellent as music headphones but from several reviews I've seen that you could get basicly the same sound/comfy but for less $ if your focus is on gaming). 

Edited by Mr. Swede

7 hours ago, FloRolf said:

nah the K7xx are not that great, the 712's are much better. The k7xx I believe uses the K702 driver. I think the 712's come with a bit softer headband and pads, not 100% sure since it is a little while since I tried them. One thing is for sure I would take the 712's over the 7xx every day

9 hours ago, Mr. Swede said:

I did take a glance at the HE400i/s before your post but since they both cost ~400$ it's quite above my budget and twice as high as my "happy" 200$ mark. Don't want all my fun-money going into one pair of headphones when I've never used real headphones :D

When you say that the AKG are not comfortable at all, do you mean the earcups, headband or the weight of them on the top of your head? I can see that the HE400i are 60% heavier but maybe their solution on the headband are better, please comment on that.

Not sure if most countries have this but in Sweden we have the possibility to buy and test the product at home for up to 14 days (written law) and most have 30 days. Since I don't want to be the douche that orders every pair that I can think of and then returning all but one, I've so far only ordered the Philips Fidelio X2 for 200$ and will order AKG712 if I can get the for 214$, they raised to 300$ today :(

I will try out the Fidelio X2 tomorrow and will probably go with them (if they are as comfy as I've heard) if the AKG712 doesn't get down to 214$. Would like to try out the HD599/600 but no store within 2 hour drive and don't wish to purchase when I got so much doubt for them (now I'm sure they are excellent as music headphones but from several reviews I've seen that you could get basicly the same sound/comfy but for less $ if your focus is on gaming). 

Oh yeah, why the F are they bith 400?lol

While they are indeed heavier they just don't feel heavy at all. It feels more like wearing a beanie than a pair of headphones. While the AKGs on the other hand are kinda squeaky and don't fit properly even though they have this automatic adjustment thing. I guess this would be the same for the 712.

Not so much a problem of the driver but more of the rest of the headphone. 

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

nah the K7xx are not that great, the 712's are much better. The k7xx I believe uses the K702 driver. I think the 712's come with a bit softer headband and pads, not 100% sure since it is a little while since I tried them. One thing is for sure I would take the 712's over the 7xx every day

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

46 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

While they are indeed heavier they just don't feel heavy at all. It feels more like wearing a beanie than a pair of headphones. While the AKGs on the other hand are kinda squeaky and don't fit properly even though they have this automatic adjustment thing. I guess this would be the same for the 712.

Not so much a problem of the driver but more of the rest of the headphone. 

yeah the hifiman headband is pretty great, but the hifman quality control is very poor and the build quality is also subpar for how much they cost, but they do offer good audio quality for the price.

I am guessing that AKG headphones don't tilt enough for you, am I correct? I personally don't have that problem...

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

yeah the hifiman headband is pretty great, but the hifman quality control is very poor and the build quality is also subpar for how much they cost, but they do offer good audio quality for the price.

I am guessing that AKG headphones don't tilt enough for you, am I correct? I personally don't have that problem...

Yeah exactly. 

But I honestly think my 400i are of awesome quality! Ofc it's not all metal or wood, but they are still exceptional. 

I hear a lot of bad stuff about them but don't personally experienced that. 

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

Yeah exactly. 

But I honestly think my 400i are of awesome quality! Ofc it's not all metal or wood, but they are still exceptional. 

I hear a lot of bad stuff about them but don't personally experienced that. 

my original pads on my HE 560's are starting to fall apart and my Focus A pads aren't in that great condition anymore.

25 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

my original pads on my HE 560's are starting to fall apart and my Focus A pads aren't in that great condition anymore.

Maybe you should just treat them better :D

Mine are still like day 1.

I don't wear them as much but when I do I wear them carefully ;)

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Maybe you should just treat them better :D

Mine are still like day 1.

I don't wear them as much but when I do I wear them carefully ;)

I treat them well, I just use them every day for at least 2-3 hours.... A new pair of pads would be nice though