Open or closed headphones below 300$ for gaming? [Solved]

A couple things:

1) If you're going to consider an AKG pair you should be looking at the Massdrop collaboration (K7XX) as they are a great all-around sounding pair of headphones for gaming at $200.  They are much better with amplification but you can get a decent amp/dac for right around $100 which sits within your budget (look at the Schiit Fulla 2) or you can save a little more and get a Modi/Magni stack or a JDSLabs o2+odac. 

The only issue with AKG headphones is that there is a spot on the top band that because of how they adjust can put pressure on the top of your head.  Not everyone has the issue and I suspect it could be fixed with either some memory foam padding or a way to "lock" the sizing, but for extended gaming they bothered me. 

2) The Sennheiser HD598 and HD650 are two of the best all-around headphones for their respective prices ($150, $300 respectively) and the former sounds fine without amplificaiton.  I would definitely recommend amplifying both, but again you can start with a $100 amp/dac and can always upgrade to something nicer later on.  The upside for both of these pairs is they are EXTREMELY comfortable.  I've never had someone wear them for any period of time and tell me they felt fatigue from wearing them.

3) On the topic of bass... open will never have nearly the same amount of bass.  However, they will have a better sound-stage and your audio will sound more crisp and clear (for lack of a better description).  The positional audio when gaming is better with open back, but the immersion is less ideal for AAA single player games and movies.  My solution was simple: buy the HD650 for all-around use and competitive games and a pair of nice closed back headphones (Fostex TH-X00) for when I want to listen to music or play a single player game and want the extra bass. 

As an aside: I highly recommend Massdrop for audio equipment.  I've bought several pairs of headphones from them and an amp/dac and they are great value for the money.  In addition I've had a couple minor issues and their customer service is TOP NOTCH.  We're talking they next day shipped a replacement for an issue I had even before I had shipped the RMA.  The Fostex are one of the best headphones I've ever heard, but they are expensive, you want GOOD amplification, and they are VERY HEAVY so not suited for long gaming sessions.

From my experience and understanding, my AKG K702 are rather comfortable, however my friend got a pair that had bumps on the bottom of the headband which were rather uncomfortable and even painful after a long time so beware of that.

As for sound goes, they're classified as a reference headphones so they aren't "fun" to listen to. 

2 hours ago, xerept said:

From my experience and understanding, my AKG K702 are rather comfortable, however my friend got a pair that had bumps on the bottom of the headband which were rather uncomfortable and even painful after a long time so beware of that.

As for sound goes, they're classified as a reference headphones so they aren't "fun" to listen to. 

That's what I was talking about, it's a leather band and because the adjustment is a smooth one that doesn't "click" into place it can put a little bit of downward pressure on the top of your head that becomes uncomfortable.  It depends on the shape/width of your head and the only way to figure it out is to wear them for an extended period of time.

As for the "reference" I will say this: they are a neutral headphone, so they are going to play for you exactly what the song is giving.  That can mean that some things sound bad because they aren't covering it up with a different sound profile.  If you want something that is bass-heavy, warm sounding, etc then AKG (on their own) are not for you.  You would have to work awfully hard with probably a tube amp to get them to anything approaching "fun" by that definition.

However, they are AMAZING for gaming for the same reason.  The soundstage is exceptional and the positional accuracy and clarity are both top-notch.  If they were a little more comfortable for me they would definitely be my go-to gaming headphones.  I like the sound a little more of the HD650s, but the AKG K7XX still sound very good and for CSGO in particular were MUCH better (I'm a former CS competitive player from 1.6/Source). 

I still usually recommend the Sennheiser because they are comfortable, but for someone willing to mod the headphone for comfort and who is serious about "hardcore" gaming I think the AKG for the money is the best headset out there.  At $200 it was half what I paid for my HD650s and the performance definitely isn't that far off (and it's mostly just my personal sound tastes and not actually performance).

6 hours ago, aithos said:

A couple things:

1) If you're going to consider an AKG pair you should be looking at the Massdrop collaboration (K7XX) as they are a great all-around sounding pair of headphones for gaming at $200.  They are much better with amplification but you can get a decent amp/dac for right around $100 which sits within your budget (look at the Schiit Fulla 2) or you can save a little more and get a Modi/Magni stack or a JDSLabs o2+odac. 

The only issue with AKG headphones is that there is a spot on the top band that because of how they adjust can put pressure on the top of your head.  Not everyone has the issue and I suspect it could be fixed with either some memory foam padding or a way to "lock" the sizing, but for extended gaming they bothered me. 

2) The Sennheiser HD598 and HD650 are two of the best all-around headphones for their respective prices ($150, $300 respectively) and the former sounds fine without amplificaiton.  I would definitely recommend amplifying both, but again you can start with a $100 amp/dac and can always upgrade to something nicer later on.  The upside for both of these pairs is they are EXTREMELY comfortable.  I've never had someone wear them for any period of time and tell me they felt fatigue from wearing them.

3) On the topic of bass... open will never have nearly the same amount of bass.  However, they will have a better sound-stage and your audio will sound more crisp and clear (for lack of a better description).  The positional audio when gaming is better with open back, but the immersion is less ideal for AAA single player games and movies.  My solution was simple: buy the HD650 for all-around use and competitive games and a pair of nice closed back headphones (Fostex TH-X00) for when I want to listen to music or play a single player game and want the extra bass. 

As an aside: I highly recommend Massdrop for audio equipment.  I've bought several pairs of headphones from them and an amp/dac and they are great value for the money.  In addition I've had a couple minor issues and their customer service is TOP NOTCH.  We're talking they next day shipped a replacement for an issue I had even before I had shipped the RMA.  The Fostex are one of the best headphones I've ever heard, but they are expensive, you want GOOD amplification, and they are VERY HEAVY so not suited for long gaming sessions.

Would get most of my equipment from Massdrop if I only lived in USA or Canada, I have to pay shipping + 14$ + 25% of the price I bought the product for and all this to have a harder time with warranty. 

I am currently using the Philips Fidelio X2 as I'm writing this review, first time I listen to open headphones and it was a nice experience! I started to think on how it was different from closed headphones and closed headphones feel like the sound is inside your head. Comparing this to open it feels like the music is in the room, exactly how many other explain it, just hard to imagine the difference without testing it out.

My biggest problem is the weight, 380g, with all the fancy metal it is heavy on the head. Will use them for a few more days before I can say if this is my cup of tea or not.

14 hours ago, Mr. Swede said:

Would get most of my equipment from Massdrop if I only lived in USA or Canada, I have to pay shipping + 14$ + 25% of the price I bought the product for and all this to have a harder time with warranty. 

I am currently using the Philips Fidelio X2 as I'm writing this review, first time I listen to open headphones and it was a nice experience! I started to think on how it was different from closed headphones and closed headphones feel like the sound is inside your head. Comparing this to open it feels like the music is in the room, exactly how many other explain it, just hard to imagine the difference without testing it out.

My biggest problem is the weight, 380g, with all the fancy metal it is heavy on the head. Will use them for a few more days before I can say if this is my cup of tea or not.

Ahh, yeah if you're outside NA then Massdrop becomes a bit more expensive depending on which company you're looking at.  IIRC not all the drops are worldwide unfriendly though, for instance I got a pair of CustomArt custom in-ear monitors recently and they are based on Poland.  I paid $13 to ship my impressions to them and I think $20 shipping international overnight priority to my door with insurance.  No customs or extra charges.  I thought I read something about them expanding global drops too, so you could always keep an eye on it.  Otherwise there is an active secondary market on many audio forums and a fair number of people are from outside NA and you may be able to get a good deal from someone in your area.

How I feel about open vs closed is this:  my closed headphones sound much better and when someone else is in the room watching TV or talking they help me isolate and stay focused on what I'm doing (gaming, listening to music/media, etc).  However, they are MUCH louder and between the weight and the increase in bass/volume I find that I am much more fatigued wearing them.  The open headphones are a lot more comfortable, and they still sound very good but they don't block nearly as much ambient noise (not recommended for loud areas).  I would also say they are a tiny bit light on bass/depth, but before I got my expensive amp/dac and expensive closed headphones I didn't think they were... so I think that's mostly just the Fostex are pretty heavy on bass and the amp makes a big difference.  I suspect I wouldn't feel the same if I was using less expensive gear...

In the end... if you think they are uncomfortable for extended use now and you intend to wear them for long sessions: go with your gut and get something else.  It isn't worth ending up with an expensive paperweight that you never use because they aren't comfortable, even if they sound fantastic.  I don't mind that my closed headphones are like that, but that's because I never bought them to be my primary headphones.  I got them for limited listening when I only want to listen to music or when I want to block ambient noise and my daily use headphones are still my HD650s.  For the money I think they are some of the best all-around headphones you can buy.  You'll bust your budget if you want them and an amp/dac but I used mine for 8 months without an amp/dac and they sounded fine (I was waiting for a drop to come back and then for shipping).

Hello!

Before you read below, all information and everything I know if from other people's opinions, I have never owned a real pair of headphones, plan to change that with your help! When I've decided I mark best answer as solved and write the headphones here.

Backstory of why I upgrade.

The Reason I am upgrading is comfort, I want more comfortable headphones and wouldn't hurt if it sounds better than my current. I have looked at SSL:s Audio Recommended Gear but it does not mention comfort or gaming(which I understand why), which is a lot different from listening to music.

Have been using kingston HyperX Cloud the last year and a half, I have started to have ear fatigue before using them less than an hour and I normally use them for long sessions, gets really annoying and I just want to take them off. I measured my ears and they are around 15mm(0.59 inch) width and 40mm(1.57 inch) height for reference, think I have oversized ears but can't tell.

From what I've read, open back headphones sound better but that closed can have more base, don't quote me on that. Anyway, below are my priority list.

1. Comfort for long sessions
  2. Sound Gaming>Movies>Music (never listened to a good pair of headphones, can't tell you want I like)
  3. Price as cheap as possible, max 300$

After reading through thread by thread, looking at video after video, I have narrowed the headphones down to those you see below (I will run modmic 5.0 with the headphones).

Philips Fidelio x2

215$ 

Some say that they weigh enough to be uncomfortable but still heard by others they are super comfortable?

Open back?

AKG K712 PRO

214$

Same as all other K700 models?

Velour earpads, not changeable?

Open back?

Is the headband comfy?

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X

192$

Doesn't look comfortable with that headband?

Open back?

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

270$

Paying a lot for fashion?

Closed back?

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro

204$

I must buy a DAC/AMP?

Weigh 295g and by looks the it looks heavy on the head?

Looks like HyperX cloud, do they feel the same?

Audio Technica ATH-M50X(with Brainwavzuaudio earpads)

181$

Too little base for gaming?

Closed back?

Not comfy headband?

Below are those that I first thought of buying but removed after some research on how they fair as gaming headphones(information taken from Z Reviews) and that I might need a DAC to really experience it.

Sennheiser HD 599

277$

Sennheiser HD 600

315$

Sennheiser HD 569

199$

Sony MDR-1A

129$

AKG K702

203$

Please comment about open and closed headphones and what pair of headphones you think are the most comfy and sound best for gaming according to you.

Sorry for having to ask so specific, I want the absolute best and will get annoyed if I don't, I don't want to feel this way but it's how I am.

Thanks for the assistance in helping me choose

Best Regards,

Johan

Blue Lola's are the answer 

I can only speak from my experience with headphones.  I've tried the following headphones:

Astro A40s:  They are alright if you're looking for an all in one gaming headset that can be used on consoles as well.  They sound pretty bad compared to the others on the list.

Sennheiser PC360:  A bit tight fit around your head at first, however once they are broken in they are pretty comfortable.  Used them during 4+ hour gaming sessions with no discomfort.  Sound is great with good positional audio.  Never had any complaints about the microphone either. 

Sennheiser Momentum:  They had a nice sound to it, however not good for gaming IMO.  Positional audio wasn't nearly as good as the others, they are more for style than for great sound IMO, though they do sound really good when using a phone to drive them.

AKG K712:  My current headphones.  Excellent sound if you can push them properly.  They sound fine with onboard audio, but once paired with a dac/amp (currently use the schiit fulla 2) the sound is so much better.  Positional audio is excellent and they are very comfortable.  Used them for several gaming sessions over 4 hours with no issues.  The headband doesn't push on my head at all, it just fits right for me.  Just keep in mind that they are open back headphones, so they are good to use at home, but not good if  you want to use in public.  As for the audio quality, I haven't personally tried anything that sounds near the quality.  All in all, I don't see myself ever moving away from these unless they break.

On 2017-05-10 at 0:27 AM, Mr. Swede said:

I can recommend you to pick up a pair of Fidelio x2 @ Mediamarkt. Atleast in Örebro, they only cost 1275kr atm. (dont think its listed on their homepage, but in the store all where marked with notes with the new low price)

Since they are a "Utgående produkt".

Very cheap for a good headphone!

2 hours ago, zOlid said:

I can recommend you to pick up a pair of Fidelio x2 @ Mediamarkt. Atleast in Örebro, they only cost 1275kr atm. (dont think its listed on their homepage, but in the store all where marked with notes with the new low price)

Since they are a "Utgående produkt".

Very cheap for a good headphone!

GO FOR IT!