1TB WD Blue Vs 1TB WD Black

Kilo One

I was wondering which of this HDD would be better as a primary drive for booting up and playing games, is there any difference between them? Which one do you recommend for a first time builder.

Assuming you mean the SSD's, I'd go with the MX300.

Assuming you mean the HDD's, I'd go with the Black for the better controller.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

WD Blue rotate at 5400 rpm while WD Black are 7200. WD Black is superior than Blue and Green.

You should get a SSD for a boot drive. WD Black is just not right when you come to price to performance ratio.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Neither.  A small SSD (for Windows) and WD Blue (for programs/files) is a much better setup.  It's the standard setup for every system now.  Get a 120GB one at minimum, 240GB one if you can afford it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The WD Black is faster and "more reliable" than the WD Blue ( as seen in the higher warranty). But if you want a boot drive, get a SSD. Miles better than a normal hard drive.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The difference to be frank is....small.

I would get a SSD.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, kameshss said:

WD Blue rotate at 5400 rpm while WD Black are 7200. WD Black is superior than Blue and Green.

You should get a SSD for a boot drive. WD Black is just not right when you come to price to performance ratio.

WD Blue is 7200RPM.  It's Green that's 5400RPM.

Edit: Never mind, there are two versions.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, kameshss said:

WD Blue rotate at 5400 rpm while WD Black are 7200

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

That depends on which blue you buy, not all are 5400rpm. that being said I still recommend black, as IIRC theyre just built better and are supposed to last longer. I have a 3tb and a 5 tb and they work great. Theyre kinda loud though, so you do sacrifice that

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822235014

There are 5400rpm variations 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I didn't realize that, thanks for the info.  They're both the same price (even when they aren't on sale, always $50 on Amazon), so getting the 5400RPM one is just silly.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

WD merged Blues and Greens together. The 7200rpm 1tb WD Blue is a normal WD Blue while anything else is a WD Green.

@Kilo One Get a 120gb ssd + WD Blue. The faster speeds of the WD Black are largely irrelevant -- even with my 5400 rpm WD Green game load times aren't noticeably longer than a traditional/faster drive.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

WD merged Blues and Greens together. The 7200rpm 1tb WD Blue is a normal WD Blue while anything else is a WD Green.

That explains why I haven't seen the Green ones on a lot of sites in awhile.

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Correction on me :) Although from 2TB onwards, WD Blues are 5400RPM.

Looks like they don't sell lower capacity WD Greens any more. Last time I had a WD Green drive, it was 7200RPM. In fact, my current PC has one which is 7200RPM.

Edit: There are 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM drives. They have both variants. Choose wisely.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Correction on me :) Although from 2TB onwards, WD Blues are 5400RPM.

Looks like they don't sell lower capacity WD Greens any more. Last time I had a WD Green drive, it was 7200RPM. In fact, my current PC has one which is 7200RPM.

I got a green one foolishly not looking into the speed.  It was my first time building a computer, and I saw "IntelliPower" on the RPM and assumed it was good. xD

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I got a green one foolishly not looking into the speed.  It was my first time building a computer, and I saw "IntelliPower" on the RPM and assumed it was good. xD

I'd argue it doesn't matter as much as you think it does. I have no trouble gaming on my 1tb WD Green. In fact, load times don't seem significantly longer than they used to when I was using my 1tb WD Blue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well, it is good. I'm getting about 130 MBPS read speed which is good. Write speed, I haven't figured out. But couldn't tell the difference between Green and a Blue 7200RPM drive.

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Edit: Never mind, there are two versions.

Technically, you're correct, but since the Green series has been merged into the Blue series and the Green series doesn't exist anymore (for new drives, at least), the Green drives are now regular blues and the 7200RPM Blues are Caviar Blues. 

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I have no trouble gaming on my 1tb WD Green. 

^^ me too!

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Technically, you're correct, but since the Green series has been merged into the Blue series and the Green series doesn't exist anymore (for new drives, at least), the Green drives are now regular blues and the 7200RPM Blues are Caviar Blues. 

Green drives do exist. Only in higher capacity I believe. Check this out https://www.wdc.com/products/wd-outlet/wd-green.html

Green drives do exist. Only in higher capacity I believe. Check this out https://www.wdc.com/products/wd-outlet/wd-green.html

I believe that is just old stock being sold by their outlet store seeing as WD Greens don't exist anywhere on the main site -- just blues, blacks, reds, and purples.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ah, maybe they kept some of the high cap drives around. I think the regular Blue series (what are essentially greens) go up to 6TB, so it may be a matter of them still being phased out/in. 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I believe that is just old stock being sold by their outlet store seeing as WD Greens don't exist anywhere on the main site. 

Oh yeah! I just noticed the link saying "wd-outlet" You're right. I think they're clearing old stock.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd argue it doesn't matter as much as you think it does. I have no trouble gaming on my 1tb WD Green. In fact, load times don't seem significantly longer than they used to when I was using my 1tb WD Blue. 

Well I wasn't using it for gaming.  Before I got a different drive, I was using it for making backup images of other drives for work.  Even a small boost of speed has an effect on a process that takes a few hours.