Controlling a Molex fan

J.Munslow
Go to solution Solved by MrJoosh,
5 hours ago, J.Munslow said:

So in my build i have 3 fans powered directly by the motherboard and one that is powered by a molex adapter. i like to turn my fan speeds waaaaaay down so that my pc is near silent but obviously this isn't an option for my molex fan. i was wondering though if i could source a 4 pin fan header to molex adapter that would let me take control of this fan, or would that not work?

The easiest way to do this would be as  suggested below:

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just get a resistor and put in in the Dan lead or most the connector to run off 7v or 5v. 

To mod the lead, simply move the pins in the plug.

Assuming that your fan has a red +ve and black -ve wire, then the following applies:

12v (highest speed; most noise):

red -> yellow

black -> black

7v (lower speed; reduced noise):

red -> yellow

black -> red

5v (lowest speed; lowest noise):

red -> red

black -> black

This is all explained in more detail with pictures here (hope linking to other forums is allowed - i'm new here...)

This isn't adjustable on the fly though (unless you wire in switches to change the pins), but should achieve what you're after.

As mentioned above though, the most elegant solution would be one of the below:

1. Buy a better fan, as they can be had for ~£5, and plug into either a spare motherboard header, or one that is being used by utilising a splitter as linked above.
  2. Buy a fan controller and take on the fly control of all of the fans at your disposal.

HTH :)

Josh

So in my build i have 3 fans powered directly by the motherboard and one that is powered by molex. i like to turn my fan speeds waaaaaay down so that my pc is near silent but obviously this isn't an option for my molex fan. i was wondering though if i could source a 4 pin fan header to molex adapter that would let me take control of this fan, or would that not work?

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

4 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Just buy a fan controller 

would you have one to propose?

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

pretty much any work i just got a random one from cc awhile back you could also get a cable splitter https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended but that would mean all the fans would be at the same sped

i already have enough fan headers, i was just wondering if using an adapter to plug the molex fan into the board directly would allow me to control it

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

Just now, J.Munslow said:

i already have enough fan headers, i was just wondering if using an adapter to plug the molex fan into the board directly would allow me to control it

wait why don't you just unplug the molex adapter and plug it straight into the board then???????????????

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

jump on newegg  and get a controller fits right in the rear slots..

Molex to 3 pin fan connector would probably work fine, it may or may not work properly at lower speeds though.

A fan that only uses a molex connector is a sign of a POS horrible fan that needs to be upgraded anyway.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 hours ago, J.Munslow said:

So in my build i have 3 fans powered directly by the motherboard and one that is powered by a molex adapter. i like to turn my fan speeds waaaaaay down so that my pc is near silent but obviously this isn't an option for my molex fan. i was wondering though if i could source a 4 pin fan header to molex adapter that would let me take control of this fan, or would that not work?

The easiest way to do this would be as  suggested below:

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just get a resistor and put in in the Dan lead or most the connector to run off 7v or 5v. 

To mod the lead, simply move the pins in the plug.

Assuming that your fan has a red +ve and black -ve wire, then the following applies:

12v (highest speed; most noise):

red -> yellow

black -> black

7v (lower speed; reduced noise):

red -> yellow

black -> red

5v (lowest speed; lowest noise):

red -> red

black -> black

This is all explained in more detail with pictures here (hope linking to other forums is allowed - i'm new here...)

This isn't adjustable on the fly though (unless you wire in switches to change the pins), but should achieve what you're after.

As mentioned above though, the most elegant solution would be one of the below:

1. Buy a better fan, as they can be had for ~£5, and plug into either a spare motherboard header, or one that is being used by utilising a splitter as linked above.
  2. Buy a fan controller and take on the fly control of all of the fans at your disposal.

HTH :)

Josh

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers