GPD Pocket Review

Wow...

Still better than my home server

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

I WANT 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

I WANT 

Me too, but I am broke AF right now :(

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Noice.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Me too, but I am broke AF right now :(

Same.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

It's cute, really. Kinda like a tablet with more I/O and a keyboard. If it had a 360 degree hinge, it'd be the perfect tablet, IMO.

bang for your buck that is HORRIBLE, look at the performance you can get for 600 bucks from a normal sized laptop.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

bang for your buck that is HORRIBLE, look at the performance you can get for 600 bucks from a normal sized laptop.

Try and fit that in your pocket

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

When you're buying this, performance per dollar should be the last thing on your mind. If it isn't, a desktop makes a whole lot more sense than even a laptop.

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

I already have my phone for something that fits in my pocket, has internet access and can watch netflix and youtube, I don't need no crappy mini-laptop for that.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

I already have my phone for something that fits in my pocket, has internet access and can watch netflix and youtube, I don't need no crappy mini-laptop for that.

then you are not the target consumer. I want this because I HATE touch screen keyboards and would even trade that weird keyboard for the touch ones. 

Build

Spoiler

remember the Sony vaio p series?

had one when i was at college, was the nerd king back then, loved the little thing

still regret selling it :(

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I still have my ASUS eee PC 1000H, very slowly running Windows 10 Creators Update. Served me well in university.

I wouldn't say all netbooks were junk. I used to rock a high-end HP 210 Mini for many years. It's quad core Atom was capable enough to do A LOT of tasks, the 1366x768 display handled productivity well and the integrated graphics could even run DX9 titles. I loved the portability, 8 hour battery life and the fact that it had full Windows 7 on it rather than that silly borked Windows Starter Edition.

The only reason I stopped using it was because Flash was beginning to be a resource hog and the build quality wasn't too great (broken right screen hinge and key cap wear). But the little thing still powers on and still works to this day. Long story short, I replaced it with a Dell XPS 13 about 18 months ago - not much bigger in size but with a lot more horsepower under the hood and a huge leap in screen real-estate. By the way, I nuked the Win 10 factory install on the Dell and replaced it with Windows 7 - couldn't be happier!!!

Now if GPD would offer Windows 7 Pro as a downgrade OS option (technically still possible under Microsoft's rules until October of this year) I would be all over this thing. I love small laptops.

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

I have my phone for that. My Oneplus 3 costs less and has more performance.

This thing is a nice concept but totally useless in practice.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

They could have gone with a 40% keyboard like the Plank layout: https://olkb.com/planck

5 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

well you like the touch screen keyboard. I just want a x86 computer in my pocket. Why? Because 1. I hate touch screens, 2. This is one of the only pieces of tech I am truely hyped for because it is just fricking cool

Build

Spoiler

5 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

not to be mean one plus 3 is a good phone but its overhyped. this laptop shows ingenuity not really designed for mass consumers in mind.  

This is a really great little device and I could completely see how useful it would be to take it around with you to work. 

You're not going to type essays, but an actual keyboard is still miles better than a touch based input in my view. 

I guess the key question is, is it fundamentally better than an iPad? Of course its more open, but an iPad can do most of those things.

Seems like it could be really useful to the right person. I find it really fascinating that the computer market is focusing more and more on ever smaller market segments. It's nice to see, but I'm not sure there isn't going to be a backlash at some point.

Somebody needs to crap that hardware into an Asus EeeBook X205 chassis. I love the form factor of the Asus EeeBook X205 however, its internal hardware is getting outdated and the successor in Malaysia is terrible

Yep, saw that hinge was gonna be an issue as soon as it was confirmed to have a touch screen, but likely a fair compromise to avoid overly complex (and likely weak) hinge or larger device/smaller screen.
Keyboard layout's unfortunate but it's occasional use only anyway - realistically.

If the screen was foldable all the way round to allow tablet mode, would be far more appealing, as it is, I'm not sure it has any real advantage over a Phablet/tablet and this from someone who was quite enthusiastic about netbooks back in the day (the concept, rather than the poor execution).

P.S. If that was truly the second attempt, good job with the over-shoulder throw into the bin Linus :)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Some netbooks were amazing solely because they had SSDs nearly ten years ago.   

What is the battery life on that thing?

I really like netbooks, but i don´t see much benefit over my 2009 HP mini, that thing still gives me 9 hours of battery life, shame it can´t really play 1080p video at reasonable speed and has problems with 720p streaming, but it´s pretty immortal, excellent build quality and the keyboard is usable, meaning, i can type quickly.

It´s really good when I´m on a bike and just want to have some PC on me, this thing would be even more portable, but if I had to bring along charger or powerbank, it would be pretty useless and the keyboard seems way to small for my hands, so I guess I´ll just stick to the HP :) .