So I just ordered a strix 1080ti...now i'm worried about volta

sveniat

I literally just ordered my 1080ti from amazon, and then I saw this article: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-12nm-finfet/

Now I know it's wccftech, but it says 2017 2080ti release. Nvidia wouldn't do that to people buying the 1080ti, right? Right??? This is just wccftech being awful as usual and i don't need to hurriedly cancel my order right?

1 minute ago, sveniat said:

I call BS on this

Now I know it's wccftech, but it says 2017 2080ti release. Nvidia wouldn't do that to people buying the 1080ti, right? 

Hell yeah they would *cough* Titan Xp*cough*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I also think you should wait for AMD Vega

It seems like AMD and NVIDIA are working together to make sure the archeitures start with the same letter.

Pascal + Polaris

Volta + Vega

But WCCFTech is BS 24/7

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

It seems like AMD and NVIDIA are working together to make sure the archeitures start with the same letter.

Pascal + Polaris

Volta + Vega

But WCCFTech is BS 24/7

when is vega supposed to release? And is there any realistic chance they outperform the 1080ti (on performance, not price/perf)?

Just now, JDE said:

You mean the card that failed to match the 1070 in Time Spy?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, sveniat said:

when is vega supposed to release? And is there any realistic chance they outperform the 1080ti (on performance, not price/perf)?

Slight chance, has shown to slightly beat 1080 (somewhere I think might be WCCF again in that case this post is null) and that was a engineering sample

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

A month or two, only know when it drops

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'll wait for  it to release before judging s harshly

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

In that same thread you linked people think its fake though.

But you have to wait for indepentent reviews after launch to say "it sucks"

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, Damascus said:

I'll wait for  it to release before judging s harshly

Yes, I don't mean that Vega will be bad, but it (Probably) won't match a 1080 Ti...

Just now, JDE said:

In that same thread you linked people think its fake though.

OK? xD

1 minute ago, JDE said:

But you have to wait for indepentent reviews after launch to say "it sucks"

I never said "it sucks" :P

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, I don't mean that Vega will be bad, but it (Probably) won't match a 1080 Ti...

Those in the article are just rebrands of Pascal GPU's. We should be happy with our 1080 Ti's for a long while.

21 minutes ago, sveniat said:

I literally just ordered my 1080ti from amazon, and then I saw this article: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-12nm-finfet/

Now I know it's wccftech, but it says 2017 2080ti release. Nvidia wouldn't do that to people buying the 1080ti, right? Right??? This is just wccftech being awful as usual and i don't need to hurriedly cancel my order right?

Volta isn't coming out for a while, you should be fine. Plus, that article looks sketchy as hell.

Also, 

16 minutes ago, JDE said:

Pascal + Polaris

Volta + Vega

But WCCFTech is BS 24/7

Vega would be a good option for more midrange buyers, but I seriously doubt it'll match a 1080ti. Vega has been seriously overhyped, just like Ryzen, and it's gonna end up disappointing people cause they expected it to beat a 1080ti or some shit. I mean, if it does that'll be cool and i'll be inclined to buy one, but I just seriously doubt it will.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Be happy with your 1080ti or send it back. Your allways going to get your new GPU outdated a year of so later with new tech released. The sooner you realize this then the sooner you will be happy with what your buying. I waited 4 years to upgrade to my new 1080ti from my 670's. 

25 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Those in the article are just rebrands of Pascal GPU's. We should be happy with our 1080 Ti's for a long while.

the 1080ti is a solid card in terms of performance regardless, but it would royally suck to spend $800 on a gpu and then half a year later another version of that comes out thats the same price but even better. It's basically exactly the Titan X vs Xp thing, but without the "it's not REALLY a consumer card..." excuse since the ti series is directly targeted at gamers. 

Just now, sveniat said:

the 1080ti is a solid card in terms of performance regardless, but it would royally suck to spend $800 on a gpu and then half a year later another version of that comes out thats the same price but even better. It's basically exactly the Titan X vs Xp thing, but without the "it's not REALLY a consumer card..." excuse since the ti series is directly targeted at gamers. 

Technology advances rapidly. If what you bought gets you what you want then there's no reason to feel bad about it. I certainly am getting 4K 60fps in all games maxed out or damn near maxed out with it.

13 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Technology advances rapidly. If what you bought gets you what you want then there's no reason to feel bad about it. I certainly am getting 4K 60fps in all games maxed out or damn near maxed out with it.

yeah but theres a difference when its from the same company with the same "product". If Nvidia launches a new card and it's amazing so people buy it, but then amd comes out with a card that's 10% better for the same, sure it's kind of a bummer but it's not a huge deal. It's just competition.

But if Nvidia sells a 5080 in January, gets a bunch of people to buy it and then turns around and sells the 6080 in february for the same price but 10% more performance, that's just scummy. 

The difference in those 2 scenarios is the assumed development time between releases. In the first exampe, you can expect both AMD and nvidia to have spend an appropriate time developing those cards, but in the second example Nvidia releases something WAY earlier than expected, instead of spending the normal ~1.5-2 year cycle. 

It's not about "how dare they make something better", it's "If they were going to make this why did they sell me that only a few short months ago". A healthy development time is good for the industry, since it also helps keep consumer confidence high in that when they buy from a given company, they are getting that companies best (for that price range). If people think that "well they'll probably just make a better on in a couple months" then you get far less people buying cards since there will always be another release right around the corner, instead of the healthy "this will probably be the best card nvidia makes for a good while, might as well get it now" cycle.

8 hours ago, sveniat said:

why do you people always need to have the very best things, its annoying, honestly. and that article is obviously fake, it will release in 2018 minimum

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

9 hours ago, sveniat said:

Now I know it's wccftech, but it says 2017 2080ti release.

Not a chance. No shot whatsoever. That's not how Nvidia does shit. Maybe they'll release an 80-series GV104 card with performance a little under the 1080 Ti at lower power consumption by the end of the year, but no shot in hell of seeing one of their big die Volta cards released in the GeForce series for 2017. Maybe you'd see a big die Tesla card like they did with P100 for Pascal, but the big die gaming cards are going to release first as Titans and likely in 2018.

Pascal refresh is first so don't worry about it. You are good for a few years dude.

So what if the new cards are close (they're not). It's not like your 1080Ti suddenly becomes useless, it's still extremely powerful.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Volta isn't till next year. That's what where it was on the roadmap last year.

I think you are doing it wrong if you order top-tier graphics card and worry about it being replaced sooner or later.

Only people who will be content that their card will be dethroned in a month or two should really be looking into getting top-tier cards.

12 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You know those results are either fake, an early engineering sample, or based off of the tFlop values of the card, right?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats