GTX 1080 vs 1080 ti

COUPER MILLAR
Go to solution Solved by SirBilliam,
11 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

So I'm torn. I am looking to upgrade form my GTX 970 to something that can drive my 4k 60 Hz monitor better (BF1 currently on high @ 4k on the 970 is maxing out memory and hovering between 34-40 fps), however I'm a grad student and price is a bit of a put off.  I'm primarily playing Battlefield 1, 7 Days to Die, Dead Island Riptide, and a couple other Indy games. So my question is, how close could i get to maxing these games with a GTX 1080 and would I be better off saving the $150 - $200 over a GTX 1080 ti? Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Also I know Vega is coming shortly, however my dvd and bluray ripping software is cuda accelerated so I'm sticking with team green. Time frame for purchase is less than 2 weeks. 

I am in the same position you're in. I currently have the 1080, and it runs most games at 4k 60fps no problem. You won't be able to max out the demanding AAA titles though, and I highly recommend not using AA in most titles. With AA off, most games can be nearly maxed out, and still maintain 60 fps. I can currently run BF1 at these setting types at 60 fps. My settings for that game are below, should you choose to copy them.

Battlefield 1 04.28.2017 - 13.14.49.02.png

So I'm torn. I am looking to upgrade form my GTX 970 to something that can drive my 4k 60 Hz monitor better (BF1 currently on high @ 4k on the 970 is maxing out memory and hovering between 34-40 fps), however I'm a grad student and price is a bit of a put off.  I'm primarily playing Battlefield 1, 7 Days to Die, Dead Island Riptide, and a couple other Indy games. So my question is, how close could i get to maxing these games with a GTX 1080 and would I be better off saving the $150 - $200 over a GTX 1080 ti? Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Also I know Vega is coming shortly, however my dvd and bluray ripping software is cuda accelerated so I'm sticking with team green. Time frame for purchase is less than 2 weeks. 

I was looking at getting a 980, and saved uo for the 980ti. Because I did so I'm still able to get the performance I want, rather than having to update to the new architecture. So I see it as a pay me now, or pay me later situation. The 1080ti will last longer. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

20 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

The GTX 1080 TI is worth the money in investing in, the performance is better than that of the last titan and they had to make a new titan just to make more money revenue due to that fact. The performance is top notch, the cooling is nice on most architecture designs, and if you are to invest into one the best on the market for now is actually that of the Asus Strix model at around 779$ US. The speed is impeccable and it is better than the Zotac model for it cooling, and you can overclock it to match and beat that of the Zotac 1080 TI. But for me I am waiting for the GALAX 1080 TI model that will be around 800$+ that will have the fastest speeds, and overclockability with nitrogen and water based cooling blocks, gonna pick up two and dang that's gonna be hot :) 

The thing is, 4k is quite the investment now because a 1080 Ti can barely maintain 60 fps in the most demanding games (you'll have to turn down some settings, but you seem fine with lower framerates). And it's a 700€ GPU ! A 700€ GPU that will struggle quite quickly with newer more demanding games. Plus, Vega is around the corner (maybe, lol) and Volta might come sooner than we expect, like before the end of the year, meaning 1080 Ti performance or more for 400-500€... I personally think it's a bad time to try and buy a GPU so expensive for 4k because it won't last and because viable 4k options are soooo close. 

But if you really want to upgrade now, you won't find better than a 1080 Ti for 4k, it's worth it over a 1080 for sure

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

7 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

The thing is, 4k is quite the investment now because a 1080 Ti can barely maintain 60 fps in the most demanding games (you'll have to turn down some settings, but you seem fine with lower framerates). And it's a 700€ GPU ! A 700€ GPU that will struggle quite quickly with newer more demanding games. Plus, Vega is around the corner (maybe, lol) and Volta might come sooner than we expect, like before the end of the year, meaning 1080 Ti performance or more for 400-500€... I personally think it's a bad time to try and buy a GPU so expensive for 4k because it won't last and because viable 4k options are soooo close. 

But if you really want to upgrade now, you won't find better than a 1080 Ti for 4k, it's worth it over a 1080 for sure

Not only did you not read the opening post, but you're wrong. Vega will be about the same performance as a 1080.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not only did you not read the opening post, but you're wrong. Vega will be about the same performance as a 1080.

12 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

-snip-

1o2s9g.jpg

edit, y you no embed? :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

I am in the same position you're in. I currently have the 1080, and it runs most games at 4k 60fps no problem. You won't be able to max out the demanding AAA titles though, and I highly recommend not using AA in most titles. With AA off, most games can be nearly maxed out, and still maintain 60 fps. I can currently run BF1 at these setting types at 60 fps. My settings for that game are below, should you choose to copy them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing

I'd get the 1080ti or wait even longer for Volta and get the 2080 which will be faster and cheaper any ways (based on the maxwell to pascal history)

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

You are exactly the person I needed. Based on your system specs, were I to upgrade to a 1080 we would be running about the same system. I'm fine with dialing back a couple settings for the time being. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

edit, y you no embed? :/ 

It's an educated guess. Looking at the scaling issues AMD has had with larger die, and that Nvidia went ass balls to the wall as they did with the 1080ti. Pretty easy to see Vega will beat the 1080 with the home team advantage, and match it in other games. 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's an educated guess. Looking at the scaling issues AMD has had with larger die, and that Nvidia went ass balls to the wall as they did with the 1080ti. Pretty easy to see Vega will beat the 1080 with the home team advantage, and match it in other games. 

I guess its all down to Vega 11's clock speed...if its something like 1700MHz then I can actually see it matching the 1080ti as it does have a 512 core advantage (according to the "specs" of vega 10 posted on the interwebz) :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

20 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

Does AA even make that much of a difference at 4k?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25