Another I7-7700k temps post

Hope you guys are doing great!, thank you for taking your time to read this post.

So I've an i7-7700k running at 4.8ghz, using the "cpu upgrade" function from my motherboard ( Z270x Gaming K7 ), voltage is around 1.23v~1.30v, ran Aida 64/Realbench for 2hrs without crash, quite afraid of Prime95. however during those tests my temps ranged from 82c~88c with spikes to the 94s, however, during games/Cinebench/3dmark it's around 60c~72c. I am currently using a Noctua NH-D14, should I switch to an AIO? try to lower the voltage? or are those temps sorta normal'ish for air?

Note: Wont delidd the cpu, not that brave.

Well, deliding is your best option. Pretty well documented that the heat spreader doesn't make contact with the die. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, deliding is your best option. Pretty well documented that the heat spreader doesn't make contact with the die. 

Oh man :(, will 65~75c, degrade the processor's life span?, i am quite sure those high temps in aida/realbench are cuz avx instrucitons, just gotta avoid those i guess.

Just now, ivryk said:

Oh man :(, will 65~75c, degrade the processor's life span?, i am quite sure those high temps in aida/realbench are cuz avx instrucitons, just gotta avoid those i guess.

80c is the max you can go, 4.8ghz is respectable. 

65-75c won't, odds are you'll want to update way before you run out of life. But going over 80 is something I try and avoid. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

80c is the max you can go, 4.8ghz is respectable. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

65-75c won't, odds are you'll want to update way before you run out of life. But going over 80 is something I try and avoid. 

Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated. Will an AIO help? or will it eventually reach same temps as my current NH-D14?

It can't hurt to run an AIO, if you have the budget go for it. 

Just now, App4that said:

It can't hurt to run an AIO, if you have the budget go for it. 

Alright, thanks, will do.

1 minute ago, ivryk said:

Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated. Will an AIO help? or will it eventually reach same temps as my current NH-D14?

not likely.

honest, delid. the rockit88 tool is da bomb. i have one, used it on my BRAND NEW 6700k, and it was STUNNING to see how much the temps improved. Everything everyone says about delidding dropping temps happened for me. There is a thread here about it.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

not likely.

honest, delid. the rockit88 tool is da bomb. i have one, used it on my BRAND NEW 6700k, and it was STUNNING to see how much the temps improved. Everything everyone says about delidding dropping temps happened for me. There is a thread here about it.

OP said, not comfortable so let's leave it at that.   

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

OP said, not comfortable so let's leave it at that.   

agreed, okay fair enough.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

The only thing you gain with an AIO is less noise.. Temps will be pretty much the same. I run neptun 240M with 4 fans @20% speed all the time.. CPU never goes above 72 (6700k @4.5ghz, 1.25vcoe) If I push the fans on AIO, I get around 65 on stress test, but not worth the noise.. I could OC my chip to 4.8, but I rather have a quiet and cool PC than some loud cow.

Leave it where it is. It's good enough

1 hour ago, ivryk said:

Hope you guys are doing great!, thank you for taking your time to read this post.

So I've an i7-7700k running at 4.8ghz, using the "cpu upgrade" function from my motherboard ( Z270x Gaming K7 ), voltage is around 1.23v~1.30v, ran Aida 64/Realbench for 2hrs without crash, quite afraid of Prime95. however during those tests my temps ranged from 82c~88c with spikes to the 94s, however, during games/Cinebench/3dmark it's around 60c~72c. I am currently using a Noctua NH-D14, should I switch to an AIO? try to lower the voltage? or are those temps sorta normal'ish for air?

Note: Wont delidd the cpu, not that brave.

Disable that "cpu upgrade" and OC manually, that will solve your temp issues - dial in a manual voltage, never let the mobo do whatever it wants to.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!