Verizon markets $70/month Gigabit FiOS, not really $70/month or Gigabit

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Not sure what they charge for early termination fees. If it's 200 or 300 bucks is probably worth pursuing. 

If it's any more than that probably not worth it. 

Jesus.. Most ISPs here charge $199NZD ($138USD) for early cancellation.. $300 is crazy. But even then, if you're going to be paying over $100 a month, even $400-$500 would be worth it, that's still less than 6 months' savings.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

thought it was going to be a $70 for 3 months, then $492 afterwards for 21 months or something like that :P 

like here in Canada.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I work for Verizon. It's $70/mo if you're a new customer, there's no agreement. So if you want it, disconnect, wait a week, then reconnect. Welp.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

18 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I guess, good going Verizon on making a confusing scheme to launch a service...  Seems like some of these details should have been clearer, but this also seems like typical business for ISPs at the moment.

I think one of the big challenges here (and I'm not making excuses for VZ) is internal communication.  Or lack thereof.  I spent 15-20 minutes on the phone with them yesterday as I have a business class FIOS connection to my home with a static block of IPs.  The folks I talked to didn't understand what I meant by "gigabit" when I said it.  "The fastest we go on business class is 750Mbit."

The rep then went and asked some folks and realized what I meant.  "Oh.  You meant 1G."  (yeah, gigabit).  "We have no info as to when that will be available to the business class side of things."  But, if I punch in my home address, the gigabit is available on the resi side.

Given the size of the company, it's not too surprising the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  Unfortunately.  It'll get straightened out though; I think this announcement just caught a lot of internal VZ folks by surprise; they weren't prepared for it.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

20 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

the ISP market in the US sounds like a complete shit show compared to the UK 

and these seems down to the downright atrocious reglations or the lack there of for the isps?

just one of very few reasons america doesnt appeal to me :/ 

The U.K. Is the only first world country behind us in internet speed :)

2 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

The U.K. Is the only first world country behind us in internet speed :)

yeah, but least we have a very competive market and no monoplies (exluding BT'S telephone network but thats a different story)

unlimited internet (76Mbps) for £30 or around $40?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

yeah, but least we have a very competive market and no monoplies (exluding BT'S telephone network but thats a different story)

unlimited internet (76Mbps) for £30 or around $40?

We have plenty of players in the market. AT&T, Comcast and Verizon are the big 3. Almost every plan is unlimited and usually bundled with tv.

i have cable with every channel and 450mbps (which is really like 70-80 mbs... marketing) for 79.99.

1 hour ago, Spenser1337 said:

We have plenty of players in the market. AT&T, Comcast and Verizon are the big 3. Almost every plan is unlimited and usually bundled with tv.

i have cable with every channel and 450mbps (which is really like 70-80 mbs... marketing) for 79.99.

am i being mislead or something?

i tohught certain areas where limited to one service provider

(some areas can get up to 300Mbps for around £40-70 irrc)

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

No... I have no clue why you thought that. I've had att Verizon and now Comcast at the same house. Maybe in the country when all they can get is satellite you have one option, but that's a problem in every country and it's also a very niche situation

24 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

22 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

No... I have no clue why you thought that. I've had att Verizon and now Comcast at the same house. Maybe in the country when all they can get is satellite you have one option, but that's a problem in every country and it's also a very niche situation

It might be a little bit more complicated when you also begin to look at the infrastructure arrangements for the ISPs.  I know where I live, I can choose from a couple of local ISPs as well as AT&T &/or Verizon, however that does not mean that my data traffic is routed only through their networks.  In some cases, I think that AT&T & Verizon are actually sharing infrastructure with the local ISP in order to provide their services out.  Similar deal if I tried to use a local ISP device outside of the regional coverage area in that it would switch over to one of their 'partner' networks hardware.  

If I remember correctly, this situation can also be further complicated in large cities where you may live in an apartment or condo complex that dictates the ISP you have to use due to some contractual issues with the placement of fiber infrastructure to and within the building. E.G.: If Comcast has placed a fiber line to an apartment building, the building management cannot get Verizon to also provide fiber service.

21 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

most cable internet is 100-200 DL 10-20 UL for $80 in the US.

or 15 Dl 5 UL for $50

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Here in Lincoln, for so long we've been stuck with either Time Warner (max of 30Mbps, if I recall correctly) and Windstream (originally max of 12Mbps, then 24Mbps with bonded DSL).

Now, we've got a new player in town (Allo) finally bringing us gigabit internet for $100/mo.  They've been making their way around town running fiber to the city, section by section.  It's something that I'm eagerly looking forward to, as I'm currently paying $80/mo ($60 + taxes/fees) for 12Mbps DSL, and that with metered phone service (meaning I'd have to pay $0.10/min for outgoing calls), so it's not even a regular phone line.

Interestingly, Windstream is suddenly touting their own gigabit fiber service, right around the same time that Allo has been putting in lines.  Hmm, what a co-een-ki-dink.  If one had a suspicious mind, they might suspect that Windstream is piggybacking on the work of Allo.  I don't actually care about that (it's a good thing, in my opinion), I'm just annoyed that it took a third ISP coming into town to finally kick Windstream into gear about upgrading their service.  Too little, too late though.  I'm switching as soon as Allo gets in my area.