Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 & After Effects CC 2017 server rendering

I run a small television studio and we recently re-accommodated (to quote United Airlines) a server. We are running VMWare ESXi with a Windows 10 VM that we are currently using as a backup server / data storage (Simple networked drives via Windows). We also have a CUDA card in pass through and 32 cores, 16gb of RAM dedicated to that VM. I am wondering how we can easily add a rendering program or a second VM running a render OS to use with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 and After Effects CC 2017. I would prefer if possible to use Adobe Media Encoder or some other well-integrated program for workflow reasons. 

Thank you!

Server Admin | TV Producer | Cinematographer | Gamer | Content Creator | Modder

Twitter | Youtube | Twitch

Whats your full workflow?

Normally it won't help much. Premiere isn't really make for this. You can use it for injest and transcoding, but its also built into premiere and imho better to use it that way.

After effects has a network render, but its basically you render as a image sequence and it checks if its already done, and multiple systems export to the same folder.

Step 1). Record onto SSD's and SD's

Step 2). Offload that footage via our editing machine onto our server inside of the file for the project

Step 3). Create premiere file inside the file for the project

Step 4). EDIT!!!

Step 5). Simple Ctrl + M render

Step 6). Upload to youtube and our tricaster for airing on cable TV

3 minutes ago, mjc4wilton said:

Step 1). Record onto SSD's and SD's

Step 2). Offload that footage via our editing machine onto our server inside of the file for the project

Step 3). Create premiere file inside the file for the project

Step 4). EDIT!!!

Step 5). Simple Ctrl + M render

Step 6). Upload to youtube and our tricaster for airing on cable TV

What part do you want to speed up?

You can render on the server manually, but it won't be much faster than your workstations(assuming there reasonably fast).

Do you transcode footage before you edit?

What footage(res?, bitrate?, codec?)

Currently we do not ingest we simply copy paste but I am trying to figure out adobe prelude and integrating that with a second computer used for ingest onto the server. I want to edit in cineform but we are currently using h.264. We are using 1080i59.94 when using our ATEM and Decklink Studio and a mish mash of other 1080 based resolutions with our other cameras, typically we use 59.94 wherever possible

Re-watching Linus's workflow, it seems rather vague as to where their server plays a part and why they have two different AME versions and the points of both of them. @LinusTech Do you mind clarifying for me?

I am curious as well. Have been mentally planning a similar setup. Would be for a closed-circuit university television station trying to mimic a small market station. Our workflow is the same as yours, mjc4wilton. 

11 minutes ago, TruisticHurdle1 said:

I am curious as well. Have been mentally planning a similar setup. Would be for a closed-circuit university television station trying to mimic a small market station. Our workflow is the same as yours, mjc4wilton. 

Screw you university studio people!! *Shakes Fist* My studio is for a High School so pretty similar setup. What are you guys using to air onto cable tv? We are using a ghetto setup with an old Tricaster that somehow now has a virus on it so whenever we pull out the flash drive we get "Malware Detected"

1 minute ago, mjc4wilton said:

Screw you university studio people!! *Shakes Fist* My studio is for a High School so pretty similar setup. What are you guys using to air onto cable tv? We are using a ghetto setup with an old Tricaster that somehow now has a virus on it so whenever we pull out the flash drive we get "Malware Detected"

LOL. We currently operate off of Broadcast Pix for live broadcasts and Swank for movie/TV show programming. We use Tricaster for our ESPN3 broadcasts during the basketball season. Our ESPN setup is pretty ghetto, but it gets the job done. Not bad for high school. My high school had zero to do with television. 

Just now, TruisticHurdle1 said:

LOL. We currently operate off of Broadcast Pix for live broadcasts and Swank for movie/TV show programming. We use Tricaster for our ESPN3 broadcasts during the basketball season. Our ESPN setup is pretty ghetto, but it gets the job done. Not bad for high school. My high school had zero to do with television. 

High School District. The stuff just happens to be in the high school because the high school and district offices share a building. Will definitely look into those

High School District. The stuff just happens to be in the high school because the high school and district offices share a building. Will definitely look into those

Not sure how much cost wise. Sharing the district office has its perks. What's your primary content focus? Morning announcements?

Just now, TruisticHurdle1 said:

Not sure how much cost wise. Sharing the district office has its perks. What's your primary content focus? Morning announcements?

Weekly non-live news show because the administrative team decided ton take the live portion away last year. Additionally the we tape Board of Education meetings as well as Town meetings which air on television through the Funny UST Scandal machine. We also do other little things like school concerts, plays, etc. upon request. 

Weekly non-live news show because the administrative team decided ton take the live portion away last year. Additionally the we tape Board of Education meetings as well as Town meetings which air on television through the Funny UST Scandal machine. We also do other little things like school concerts, plays, etc. upon request. 

Cool! Very similar to us. Weekly live newscast and 3-4 weekly recorded talk shows. We also live stream student senate meetings and special events. Very cool you are able to offer that to students at such a young age. Any students interested in broadcasting you would like to send our way? ;) Hopefully someone can help with the server rendering issue. Currently we do everything locally, but I'd love to edit off a gig/ten-gig local network so we don't have to buy Macs with large HDDs. Would make the workflow so efficient. 

4 minutes ago, TruisticHurdle1 said:

Cool! Very similar to us. Weekly live newscast and 3-4 weekly recorded talk shows. We also live stream student senate meetings and special events. Very cool you are able to offer that to students at such a young age. Any students interested in broadcasting you would like to send our way? ;) Hopefully someone can help with the server rendering issue. Currently we do everything locally, but I'd love to edit off a gig/ten-gig local network so we don't have to buy Macs with large HDDs. Would make the workflow so efficient. 

Step 1) Delete Mac

Step 2) Get a nice windows workstation with cuda cards and xeons

Step 3). Now you can worry about the server

lol, We are using a dell poweredge r720 which we found in the IT / AV throw-away closet dispite the fact its around $12,000. It used to be running the web-blocking before we switched to a new system. Figured its good enough to throw in a rack and use to its limits... Its nice to have a centeral hub for storing all your files and being able to have people hand you graphics you need for editing without doing it yourself. Would enjoy getting the server rendering figured out but I feel I need to talk directly to Linus on that one...