Crazy Slow lan speeds or my stupidity?

VE5LPL

So I have a virtualization server and I need to copy some .iso files over to it. I am using a laptop connected via a wireless n access point and the server and ap are connected to a gigabit switch (but due to the ap only having 10/100, theoretically it is limited then to 100MiB/s?). So I tested the link by running some tools and found that I was getting 12.8MiB/s [1.6 MB/s] at the best in my tests! I am I going nuts here thinking I should expect faster or is something really not right here? and why am I getting an eighth of the speed I should (I do realize that some speed will be lost just cause since you never get the theoretical network speed you wish for but still an EIGHTH)?

Here is a screen grab

58fb2a38c34ad_LANSpeed.png.63af32062ff96943ce36270111144ae3.png

^ ONLY 1.6 MB/s ???

Thanks for anything in advanced

Running Arch Linux on a Pentium from before you were born with 256MB Ram as a 2M Repeater Controller be like

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Yea!

Are you using Wi-Fi? Try an ethernet connection. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Are you using Wi-Fi? Try an ethernet connection. 

No Ethernet port

Running Arch Linux on a Pentium from before you were born with 256MB Ram as a 2M Repeater Controller be like

7 hours ago, VE5LPL said:

No Ethernet port

Then there's your problem. 

Many people do not understand that wifi is for connectivity, not speed. Wifi in all reality is pretty slow.

My native language is C++

On 2017-04-22 at 11:36 AM, tt2468 said:

Then there's your problem. 

Many people do not understand that wifi is for connectivity, not speed. Wifi in all reality is pretty slow.

But still I am getting Wireless B speeds on a Wireless N network...

39 minutes ago, VE5LPL said:

But still I am getting Wireless B speeds on a Wireless N network...

What? You're getting your normal speeds over the internet but not over your lan?

If that's the case, then it's probably one of the hard drives on the computer that you're trying to transfer from.

On 22.4.2017 at 0:08 PM, VE5LPL said:

So I have a virtualization server and I need to copy some .iso files over to it. I am using a laptop connected via a wireless n access point and the server and ap are connected to a gigabit switch (but due to the ap only having 10/100, theoretically it is limited then to 100MiB/s?). So I tested the link by running some tools and found that I was getting 12.8MiB/s [1.6 MB/s] at the best in my tests! I am I going nuts here thinking I should expect faster or is something really not right here? and why am I getting an eighth of the speed I should (I do realize that some speed will be lost just cause since you never get the theoretical network speed you wish for but still an EIGHTH)?

Here is a screen grab

^ ONLY 1.6 MB/s ???

I think you got your units mixed up. Network speeds are usualy told by using megabits (Mb) and not megabytes (MB), also a MiB is 1024 bytes and a MB is 1000 bytes, so 12,8MiB/s is not 1,6MB/s: convertion, although many uses just MB for MiB...

And you can't get the full 100mbps (12.5MB/s) anyways. but to maximize your upload speed: Disconnect any other device than the on you want to upload from, and stop any programs on that device that may use any network at all.

2 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

What? You're getting your normal speeds over the internet but not over your lan?

If that's the case, then it's probably one of the hard drives on the computer that you're trying to transfer from.

No, it is send just zeros over generated by the CPU (if you know about linux [/dev/zero]) and the other computer is just dumping it [/dev/null]

2 hours ago, Fr3dr1k said:
On 2017-04-22 at 4:08 AM, VE5LPL said:

Here is a screen grab

^ ONLY 1.6 MB/s ???

I think you got your units mixed up. Network speeds are usualy told by using megabits (Mb) and not megabytes (MB), also a MiB is 1024 bytes and a MB is 1000 bytes, so 12,8MiB/s is not 1,6MB/s: convertion, although many uses just MB for MiB...

And you can't get the full 100mbps (12.5MB/s) anyways. but to maximize your upload speed: Disconnect any other device than the on you want to upload from, and stop any programs on that device that may use any network at all.

Nah, I was getting 1.6 Megabytes (per second) and 100 Megabits (per second) is the theoretical max so 100 Megabits(per second) is 12.5 Megabytes(per second) and 1.6 Megabytes (per second) divided by 12.5 Megabytes (per second) is 0.128 or 12.8% of what I should be getting.

NOTE: ALL UNIT CONVERSIONS FOR THIS REPLY WERE SUPPLIED BY GOOGLE.

*but maybe not the quotes...

On 4/23/2017 at 2:07 PM, VE5LPL said:

No, it is send just zeros over generated by the CPU (if you know about linux [/dev/zero]) and the other computer is just dumping it [/dev/null]

Nah, I was getting 1.6 Megabytes (per second) and 100 Megabits (per second) is the theoretical max so 100 Megabits(per second) is 12.5 Megabytes(per second) and 1.6 Megabytes (per second) divided by 12.5 Megabytes (per second) is 0.128 or 12.8% of what I should be getting.

NOTE: ALL UNIT CONVERSIONS FOR THIS REPLY WERE SUPPLIED BY GOOGLE.

*but maybe not the quotes...

Maybe the NIC that you're trying to transfer to is bad? Seems like the only logical thing right now.

On 2017/4/25 at 7:03 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

Maybe the NIC that you're trying to transfer to is bad? Seems like the only logical thing right now.

Nah, The NIC can handle faster speeds as I tested with a 802.11AC network in the laptop and the server is running a Intel Server grade nic...and I doubt that it is the problem otherwise I would not be able to send this reply.

On 2017/4/23 at 0:34 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

Note: My Internet Speed is less than 1.6MB/s anyway...So it is "Normal" for where I live

19 hours ago, VE5LPL said:

Nah, The NIC can handle faster speeds as I tested with a 802.11AC network in the laptop and the server is running a Intel Server grade nic...and I doubt that it is the problem otherwise I would not be able to send this reply.

What AP is it? since it has a 10/100 port it cant be that fast, and wireless is always slower then rated. if it is a g 58Mps AP, and accounting for signal loss it could be running at lets say 30Mbps which is 3.7MBps.

the NIC should tell you what speed it think it can do.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

What AP is it? since it has a 10/100 port it cant be that fast, and wireless is always slower then rated. if it is a g 58Mps AP, and accounting for signal loss it could be running at lets say 30Mbps which is 3.7MBps.

the NIC should tell you what speed it think it can do.

It is a Gigabit nic on the AP. so why am I getting like 802.11b speeds on a 802.11n network? and the ac network is faster so that would then again cancel out the AP nic as a cause.

4 minutes ago, VE5LPL said:

It is a Gigabit nic on the AP. so why am I getting like 802.11b speeds on a 802.11n network? and the ac network is faster so that would then again cancel out the AP nic as a cause.

so it is a n AP? again what is the AP, some are faster then others. how far away are you from it, any obstacles?

What is the speed the NIC is negotiated too? it can be a 300Mbps NIC and AP but negotiate to 80Mbps (or what ever) due to signal quality.

It could be a 802.11n AP rated for 150Mbps, but is getting channel interference which bumps the speed down.

Have you tested on a cabled connection?

Just now, The Benjamins said:

so it is a n AP? again what is the AP, some are faster then others. how far away are you from it, any obstacles?

What is the speed the NIC is negotiated too? it can be a 300Mbps NIC and AP but negotiate to 80Mbps (or what ever) due to signal quality.

Well I am not at home right now...But I am using a (guessing by memory) a Netgear or like D-Link AC Router. I have it setup to do a 2.4GHz 802.11n network and a 5.8GHz 802.11ac network, on the 2.4GHz network I got the speeds in the screen cap from the first post. I get (if I remember correctly) about 3 MB/s. During that test I was about 15ft (max) away with a wood sub floor and laminate flooring between me and it.

4 minutes ago, VE5LPL said:

Well I am not at home right now...But I am using a (guessing by memory) a Netgear or like D-Link AC Router. I have it setup to do a 2.4GHz 802.11n network and a 5.8GHz 802.11ac network, on the 2.4GHz network I got the speeds in the screen cap from the first post. I get (if I remember correctly) about 3 MB/s. During that test I was about 15ft (max) away with a wood sub floor and laminate flooring between me and it.

on a 2.4GHz signal with 3MBps seems like a poor signal. I think your speed issues is all wifi based.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

on a 2.4GHz signal with 3MBps seems like a poor signal. I think your speed issues is all wifi based.

Ok...but why is it still stuuuuupidly slow?

2 minutes ago, VE5LPL said:

Ok...but why is it still stuuuuupidly slow?

well I don't know the rated speeds of the AP and NIC, but I would say it is maybe 150 Mbps negotiating down to around 30 Mbps due to signal. I can't say for sure until you give me that information and if possible the NIC's negotiated speed.

I personally feel wifi has a lot of misconceptions. not every 802.11n or ac device is the same, some are faster and/or some have better range. Also AP/Routers will get auto set to lower speeds to allow for greater compatibility. (like a legacy device on the network can make a AP go slower if it is not dual band.)

30 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well I don't know the rated speeds of the AP and NIC, but I would say it is maybe 150 Mbps negotiating down to around 30 Mbps due to signal. I can't say for sure until you give me that information and if possible the NIC's negotiated speed.

I personally feel wifi has a lot of misconceptions. not every 802.11n or ac device is the same, some are faster and/or some have better range. Also AP/Routers will get auto set to lower speeds to allow for greater compatibility. (like a legacy device on the network can make a AP go slower if it is not dual band.)

However this my client is a Q4 2016 Device so legacy shouldn't be an issue

1 minute ago, VE5LPL said:

However this my client is a Q4 2016 Device so legacy shouldn't be an issue

mentioned it for info, and I mean if you have a other device on the network that is old it can force the router to use older standard which is slower. (mostly not a big concern now)

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

mentioned it for info, and I mean if you have a other device on the network that is old it can force the router to use older standard which is slower. (mostly not a big concern now)

but this slow... (slowest thing on our network may be a iPhone CE)

Just now, VE5LPL said:

but this slow... (slowest thing on our network may be a iPhone CE)

I can't give you a definitive answer with out the information I asked for. I just feel that this is what I think it could be. it could be something else but it is best to eliminate this first then look at other things. The most useful information would be the NIC negotiated speed, if it says something like 30Mps, then that is your problem. 

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I can't give you a definitive answer with out the information I asked for. I just feel that this is what I think it could be. it could be something else but it is best to eliminate this first then look at other things. The most useful information would be the NIC negotiated speed, if it says something like 30Mps, then that is your problem. 

I'm at work about 30min drive away so...wait till like 6:00CST...