Call for Coders 2017

Just now, uudaw said:

Wonderful idea. While I have professional experience in large multi faceted computer systems over UDP/IP, and I would love to apply, but I am very backend oriented (Realtime/Systems C/C++ != Node.JS). However, if you are really looking at developing a platform to decouple a central authority like YouTube away from creators, those creators are going to have to be quite empowered. Hosted and self-hosted options are going to both have to be offered to ensure that you guys don't become the next Youtube. Are you guys thinking about containerization (i.e. Docker/Kubernetes)? I would love to see a client application (GUI/Console) on Win/Linux that I enter AWS/Azure/OpenStack credentials and it deploys the correct mix of vps/containers, DNS entries, and configurations to deploy a complete social media platform with rich support for media (including video of course!) and community building. Further, creating a marketplace of ad networks that could be enabled with a simple api key and plugin would be amazing, and enable opportunities to sell software to the ad networks...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBsRiYQnji5f0U2_TQ_K0s9nEiyooW6KKnmCAtnRDYi-RaPw/viewform?c=0&w=1 Go ahead! :)

4 minutes ago, kedstar99 said:

Yea any using lbry as an example, I haven't even heard of it and it's own website describes it as early access. So much for collaborative content. Give me an actual established example which scales to thousands to millions of users then we will talk.

Also popcorn works because people want to host movies just like they want to host games. Goodluck with that with the random ass youtube videos.

Of course I gave lbry as an example. It's probably the only example, that has so far been successful (in that you can use it and upload/share videos), of an *attempt* at decentralizing a platform like YouTube and making it better for Content Creators and Consumers alike, which happened to be along the same lines of what LTT is attempting to do. My point wasn't to provide a compelling example, but simply that it's possible, and in the future might even be feasible.

IMO, decentralizing things is just better. With all the DRM shit going on, along with the ever-expanding reach of Cable Companies and Google, a platform which offers both ease-of-use, freedom from censorship, and real ownership is becoming more valuable by the day.

Meh. Dropped my name in the hat.

My primary concern is whether the wage is viable to relocate on, and be comfortable. I've got a stable programming job right now that probably pays 10 times better that what LMG could do. Without knowing figures, there's no way to know for sure. Just getting up and moving across the world isn't something I'm willing to do unless there's more info.

Just now, ayrton.dumas said:

Hello,

need some details :)

what node modules are you going to use?  

• Express ?
  • Socket.io ?

And are you planning to use a Single page app framework as React or Angular ? 

Thanks 

In this case i would bet on it being both Express and Socket.IO

1 minute ago, SixDev said:

I am willing to work for free since I am a student and wants work experience.

I am a NodeJS web developer from Sweden.

Please contact me.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBsRiYQnji5f0U2_TQ_K0s9nEiyooW6KKnmCAtnRDYi-RaPw/viewform?c=0&w=1

1 minute ago, CallumCarmicheal said:

In this case i would bet on it being both Express and Socket.IO

MongoDB too i guess

Just now, ayrton.dumas said:

MongoDB too i guess

I would think so, especially for the versatility of MDB although I am quite a MYSQL fanboy.

Just now, CallumCarmicheal said:

I would think so, especially for the versatility of MDB although I am quite a MYSQL fanboy.

I don't really mind but i'd think like this:

• Node + Mongo
  • PHP + MySql

You should send you application ;)

1 minute ago, ayrton.dumas said:

I don't really mind but i'd think like this:

• Node + Mongo
  • PHP + MySql

You should send you application ;)

I don't think I can, I'm only 17. A student at the moment although been programming since I was 9-10 :) So I'm just refraining from submitting anything, I'm sure anyone that applies will just be better than me anyway.

4 hours ago, fpo said:

Wait... Can US citizens work in Canada? 

EDIT wait... I don't know js.. 

one of the questions in the application is " Are you able to relocate to Langley, BC (Vancouver area) "

1 minute ago, CallumCarmicheal said:

I don't think I can, I'm only 17. A student at the moment although been programming since I was 9-10 :) So I'm just refraining from submitting anything, I'm sure anyone that applies will just be better than me anyway.

I'd love to go but just started my BSc ... This seems like a big career starting point. 

1 minute ago, ayrton.dumas said:

I'd love to go but just started my BSc ... This seems like a big career starting point. 

Pretty much :( I'm very discouraged at the moment. I think its better not to waste their time by trying.

I'm going to try to be brief here, most people without much software knowledge/experience will usually have very bold ambitious ideas for projects that start with an idea that is "like facebook, but X" or "like youtube, but Y".

People who have these ideas rarely understand how much work this is, but a good analogy would be with Video Games.

If I said an average AAA video game might take roughly 100-200 Man years of work, for a group of 5-10 people that would take 10-40 years. I don't think you guys are willing to wait that long regardless of any debate about language/requirements/etc. What's more, you guys want more of a Skyrim compared to a Dirty Rally, think 500 Man Years instead of the 100 Man years.

You guys have a small team. A small team can do a lot of work, but you should limit or re-frame how you see this project. To reverse the initial analogy, think along the lines of "We want to do X, but with Y element of youtube tacked on".

I'd give more advice, but the scope of this project is by far the most glaring weakness. 

Me

• Can mess around with Linux servers
  • Can make fancy JavaScript apps by cut 'n paste from Stackoverflow*
  • NodeJS? It's like PHP......but JavaScript....right?....
  • Prototype based language? dafuq is that?
  • Finishing postgraduate education this year**
  • Very agile by using the waterfall model!

* May break after 1 min of use

** In human-computer interaction (HCI) / interaction design (IxD)

What do you mean "not qualified"?

:P

1 minute ago, BoredJoe said:

I'm going to try to be brief here, most people without much software knowledge/experience will usually have very bold ambitious ideas for projects that start with an idea that is "like facebook, but X" or "like youtube, but Y".

People who have these ideas rarely understand how much work this is, but a good analogy would be with Video Games.

If I said an average AAA video game might take roughly 100-200 Man years of work, for a group of 5-10 people that would take 10-40 years. I don't think you guys are willing to wait that long regardless of any debate about language/requirements/etc. What's more, you guys want more of a Skyrim compared to a Dirty Rally, think 500 Man Years instead of the 100 Man years.

You guys have a small team. A small team can do a lot of work, but you should limit or re-frame how you see this project. To reverse the initial analogy, think along the lines of "We want to do X, but with Y element of youtube tacked on".

I'd give more advice, but the scope of this project is by far the most glaring weakness. 

The project outlined may seem similar to youtube although it's not, you will have to sieve through various videos and posts maybe even a few Wan shows to see that it's not just a COPY youtube deal. It's more like a separate body that complements youtube. FloatPlane is somewhat like Veetle, videos come out a week early although the videos are almost RAW/No Compression and will have a real time chat rather than a comment based system. Most of its is not revealed yet although i can guarantee that it will be compared to youtube but it is NOT youtube. If that makes sense :Z

Hmm. I should look into NodeJs then for future things.

Also any idea if the will be doing Co-op? 3rd year CMPT student here at SFU

Sounds cool - if I was a Node/JS dev I would definitely consider - you guys seem to be quite a fun bunch to work it and design a project almost from scratch is always more fun than to maintain legacy codebase. Best of luck, hope it works out and looking forwards to see more of content on it!! 

1 hour ago, Daniel Abrecht said:

* https://webtorrent.io/ This could be used for caching videos, which would reduce server load

WebTorrent is P2P. I am not sure if the users would be comfortable allowing this. 

14 minutes ago, BoredJoe said:

There's a huge difference between what you describe, and simply wanting to start an alternative to YouTube. These guys have experience in the industry, and have the clout to get capable devs onboard. They're not guys halfway through a CS degree.

1 minute ago, CriticalGaming09 said:

WebTorrent is P2P. I am not sure if the users would be comfortable allowing this. 

+1 and webtorrent has some issues with the CPU load

1 minute ago, developeire said:

There's a huge difference between what you describe, and simply wanting to start an alternative to YouTube. These guys have experience in the industry, and have the clout to get capable devs onboard. They're not guys halfway through a CS degree.

You're right, they're not guys halfway through a CS degree. They don't even have CS degrees. They have experience in creating tech videos, and their first project is to lead a bunch of developers in something measured in man years.

+1 to @Dazing's comment.

I've got the necessary experience and am a huge fan of your channel; I'd love to help, but I can't commit to it full time. How feasible would it be to have at least certain components open-sourced, or to have part-time contributors? 

Just now, BoredJoe said:

You're right, they're not guys halfway through a CS degree. They don't even have CS degrees. They have experience in creating tech videos, and their first project is to lead a bunch of developers in something measured in man years.

How's that any different to a bunch of C?Os hiring devs for any project? They need a platform, have a list of features, and are now hiring people to implement it.

I don't think they're planning to become bigger than YouTube by Christmas.

Let me know if you need a data pipeline or devops engineer.
I'm more than willing to help with the overall architecture and infrastructure, and when you want to start doing data pipelines with analysis or smart features associated with them, I'll be your guy. 

Edited by rizenfrmtheashes
More explanation.

6 minutes ago, developeire said:

How's that any different to a bunch of C?Os hiring devs for any project? They need a platform, have a list of features, and are now hiring people to implement it.

I don't think they're planning to become bigger than YouTube by Christmas.

Usually people hiring developers have experience running software projects, experience running projects in whatever niche they're in, and a lot of money. It's incredibly obvious when you see a project that only has 2/3, never-mind 1/3 or 0/3.