Call for Coders 2017

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

I just saw the video on youtube, but from the few information I've got so far, I think this is doomed to just become the next youtube because of the business plan behind it. For what I know at the moment, it doesn't sounds like the project is going to be open source and if you plan to let the operation of the servers and the control over the source to be controlled by a single entity, it's impossible that it will stay with the promises it started off with forever. This is simply because no group can stay without change forever, which will change the goals, and there won't be anyone to take over the project and keep the original idea alive.

That said, I have some suggestions for existing open source libraries which may be helpful for floatplane:

* https://webtorrent.io/ This could be used for caching videos, which would reduce server load

* https://solid.mit.edu/ Solid could be used to let users choose their own storage servers, however, the currently available public solid storage providers don't offer enough storage for this yet, it isn't really ready for production yet and providing an own solid server could be easier than it is now.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJY+n7+AAoJEHAEo2n3S1aBXfIIALpioVRJ72hB7l7A+3JHHzjk
LStOT6OKtdw4dmWcynubi5FpYZdqWNpjBlDMEDRFTqriz/91r82pRJwcZV9hxndS
ywy/Cs3PDvUxZcek0yM0dAwYxdm2wMOlSEFKVQapLp8p1NZ6rZWZ6DnS6JJ0z6Ll
S9Xs+mxkk6kMunFJayiLlbCPmBb2PetpXxpVLERIuSiJ+uBa3fHClmBXk5ezd8VD
0G+7Pdg36AqsncH8Z62+yoARW8TcUIW1RCUuJTmlsyGZ+y4U0Ot7RTT3DXcdmRrM
ztZQHMj+KkB2AdChadBTpMiVxvq7jfuTVpfsoJqjD/47oYk+M5uQ7dXGxf9TvkA=
=kAUX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Submit your application: https://goo.gl/forms/7DkgeTvCRxKbTnPM2

We're building something awesome, and you could be a part of it. Let's take over the galaxy together.

Hello guys.

studied Computer science but i took the business analysis route.  I help companies through the SDLC and my current project is microservice based using all the technologies you guys are using like:

Docker

NodeJS

Angular

.NETCore

AWS

MongoDB

TFS

Rancher

Prometheus and many more. 

.  We're also using agile methodologies specifically SCRUM.

Not looking for pay but would love to contribute where i can. let me know if i can help in any way

Hey everyone, just my two cents on the proposed untertaking by the linus media group (lmg),

If the lmg wants to transgress youtube and create a video platform out of the current video/monetisation system, it is hardly thinkable the way its layed out in the teased video. All revenue which is created by youtube comes from ads and sponsorship. Any other video platform which uses similar revenue systems will be pushed to conform the current "youtube" model by its own need for profit maximisation and the ad-providers need for company friendly advertisment. Thus, the creation of a new lmg video platform will bring nothing new to the market unless it ceases  to go beyond the current model of video monetisation. Else, it will take the same route as youtube is taking at the moment. After a while conditionalities will be attached to content creators to conform to certain platftorm standards because it is not possible to rule out all infringments to creators creative freedom. Some videos inevitably will violate the new platform rules. Just think about overly biased reporting (in case of paid reviews) or hate speech (in case of conspiracy theorists taking over the platform). Somewhere the line will be drawn and then the old problem of conditionality to videos will persist, even in the new platform.

Therefore I would propose to limit the scope of the new video platform to a certain range of topics. Of course this will limit the scope and ambition of the new platform, but it also will make it viable without braking the current mainsteam system. Otherwise it may create expectations which won´t be met.

Best Regards

43 minutes ago, kedstar99 said:

The first being that it is fucking expensive to store video data. Here is an example from Dropbox as to why they moved away from AWS simply because storing data was too much. People will bring up perhaps Netflix as an example of success, but that is because they serve a fixed set of movies so their data storage costs are small.

We don't know much about this project, but (assuming it even does store video at all, for all we know it could just be just a bunch of tools for distributing videos one makes to different endpoints like YouTube) it is possible that it could operate in a decentralized manner. Either with P2P or on some Blockchain. Although I doubt LTT is dabbling in Blockchain technology, storage would be offset either to a user or to a chain/set of managed nodes instead of one central database.

Youtube, vimeo, vid.me all make a loss. The only reason they work is because Google finds value in youtube for data analytic reasons and the fact that Google owns the advertisement platform that supports youtube and infrastructure. That alone is gonna kill off this venture as well.

If it's decentralized, they have less of a worry about profit because they wouldn't have to pay hundreds of thousands+ for servers. If that's the case, the platform could probably make money off ads, or, maybe it would operate totally on what a user is willing to pay to a content producer (kind of like a decentralized YouTube integrated with Patreon).

Highly doubt they are headed in this direction, but it would be interesting if they considered something similar to it.

I would love to do something like this but I'm a first year student and only know JS out of the 3, though I'm used to extensive to extreme commenting and working with other people's code (helping students and fixing their mistakes).

I do also know HTML and a bit of CSS, I have a basic knowledge of SQL, this will be increasing over time as I'm a student.

I also am getting the basic of Jquery mobile (so maybe a extremely beta app?).

I know it a far stretch but hey, if you need someone to do some basic stuff, I'll could do some work for free ( the experience looks good on a resume )

PS: good luck with the project, I really hope it takes off!!

I watched this... I'm not sure what they're doing.

Is this some type of other platform to rival youtube and vessel? (now vessel has gone, shock horror). 

Is it going to be for non LMG members?

I'll never miss a opportunity like this! Well I must renew my knowledge on NodeJS

So, yet another "I'm not qualified for this, but"

1. Open Sourcing. In my opinion, this could only be a good thing, but I can see why the idea could be scary to those who have sunk sweat blood and tears into FPC.

2. Language wars. I think it should be written in Brainfuck.

3. I think it's possible that you guys might missunderestimate the plans for this platform. What if it was self-hosted? A WordPress for video? You could have a central webservice that looks like YouTube, but playing a video would bring you over to a specific creators channel. Transparent to the user, but requires the creator to self-host the software. Several caveats to this, but I think it's worth considering.

Thoughts?

P.S. Experienced lurker, years of coding experience, yada yada yada, let me know if you guys need additional remote work. I'm based in Ireland.

I'm really interested in this opening, but I've got to do an internship of 675h in computer sciences to get my Canadian M.C.S and my french M.E, so I don't really know if that's really what you are looking for (well let's give it a try anyway :-) ).

1 minute ago, kedstar99 said:

You can't decentralized that kind of content p2p not unless you plan on waiting several hours before you get the content. 

There are other types of decentralization. What if each channel had to pay to host content?

5 minutes ago, kedstar99 said:

You can't decentralized that kind of content p2p not unless you plan on waiting several hours before you get the content. Number one, 95% of residential lines out there barely have the upload speed to compensate for taht kind of thing. This is because most lines use something called ADSL which prioritises download to upload. You could argue that it would be fine because there will be multiple users who can compensate and upload kind of like bit torrent. That only works because users have a vested interest in storing and seeding such things like fixed storage games. No point for that with a random ass video like on youtube. In this case, again the big issue is storage, who the hell is gonna compensate for storing several large video files for an assortment of random ass videos. In addition, the location, imagine having to download the next LTT video from Canada in the UK. Another issue is indexing all of this, as you will effectively be running a torrent site. The other issue is DCMA and copywrite. The list of issues with this approach is endless.

er, you absolutely can decentralize that kind of thing. In fact, a platform similar to what I just described is available right here: https://lbry.io/ (and, it's open source).

AFAIK libry is essentially it's own protocol, so it's not *exactly* like torrents. I think it operates on ideas similar to that of torrents, but also that of blockchains, combining them. I haven't dug too deep into how it works, though,

"not unless you plan on waiting several hours before you get the content" ? That's why when I boot up Popcorntime i can stream any movie I want almost instantly. Unless you're on a real shitty internet connection, it works for the most part.

I am able to do the requirements in this video although I don't have any Professional Software Development experience :( Still this happened at the wrong time, dont think you can apply at 17.

Why Node.js? Seriously? I'm not certain that it's particularly futureproof. Node.js is often used for projects that have to be cobbled together to get something out of the door fast. Agile, yes, but not maintainable imo.

Just now, Octobyte said:

Why Node.js? Seriously? I'm not certain that it's particularly futureproof. Node.js is often used for projects that have to be cobbled together to get something out of the door fast. Agile, yes, but not maintainable imo.

NodeJS has a tonne of benefits for real-time event-driven code for client/server on the web. That is why it's used for mostly all real-time websites. PHP/ASP etc is only good for runtime pages, such as Render then if it needs to be realtime you would need to write a tonne of overhead AJAX code.

Just now, kedstar99 said:

Yea any using lbry as an example, I haven't even heard of it and it's own website describes it as early access. So much for collaborative content. Give me an actual established example then we will talk.

Also popcorn works because people want to host movies just like they want to host games. Goodluck with that with the random ass youtube videos.

I don't think this is the way this platform is going to play out. I believe it is aimed towards the reward based model, where viewers engage into the content will directly support the content creators. They never said anything about overthrowing YouTube (even thou Luke did crack a few jokes about it). This platform (I believe) is targeted as a tool to drive an external income.

1 minute ago, CallumCarmicheal said:

NodeJS has a tonne of benefits for real-time event-driven code for client/server on the web. That is why it's used for mostly all real-time websites. PHP/ASP etc is only good for runtime pages, such as Render then if it needs to be realtime you would need to write a tonne of overhead AJAX code.

I guess with the right server environment it's do-able. My background is in Enterprise Java but I've mixed things up in recent years with Node too. 

That is already available, it's called Patreon. 

Patreon has it's own disadvantages and has proven to be not very effective as being a tool of it's own. Let me explain: Patreon refusal to listen to it's users has cause a lot of bad dreams on some people. When was the last time Patreon released a new feature to improve upon what they built?.

It's doable and is used in practice in many environments. Twitter, uses nodejs as a backend for their mobile sites which are used by millions to billions. Same with ebay and a bunch of other websites. It scales really well for interactive and there is a lot of available test infrastructure (which is the main sign of maintainable code according to Michael Feathers).

Agreed, yes. Node + Docker / Kubernetes is really nice to play with.

This is an awesome opportunity for some of the lucky guys meeting your requirements. But I can't stop to wonder if you're not asking a bit too much here.

The developpers must have extensive knowledge in NodeJS, Javascript, and Web Sockets. So you're asking for an experience developper in web services. 

But then, you also ask for the same developper to have knowledge in building apps in a myriad of platforms, video distribution, front-end engineering ... etc ...

I think you should let the whole community (regardless of their level of technical skill) participate in the project a bit. Maybe to build your apps, to put some load off the shoulders of your specialized back-end engineers. It could be done on GitHub (or any other open-source code-sharing platforms).

It would be apps made by the community, for the community, to please the community.

This sound awesome. After watching the video, I was wondering if you guy have started looking the what you are going to be doing on the back end for scalability you looking at Auto scaling clusters of servers or more along the lines of microservices on docker type containers? I know it maybe a long way from implementation, just a question as being an operation and network engineer.

5 minutes ago, Octobyte said:

I guess with the right server environment it's do-able. My background is in Enterprise Java but I've mixed things up in recent years with Node too. 

The way the industry is going, I think NodeJS is only going to pick up more speed.

4 minutes ago, kedstar99 said:

That is already available, it's called Patreon. 

Patreon is good although the FP club is there to offer high bit-rate videos with low to none compression on the videos to make it a more pleasant experience. The second idea was to stop content creators from being social dependant on Youtube, lets say if Youtube shut down RIGHT NOW what would happen to most of the YouTubers, including the ones on patreon - think of those who had no fallback after Vessel. FP as of current wont be using advertisements.

Wonderful idea. While I have professional experience in large multi faceted computer systems over UDP/IP, and I would love to apply, but I am very backend oriented (Realtime/Systems C/C++ != Node.JS). However, if you are really looking at developing a platform to decouple a central authority like YouTube away from creators, those creators are going to have to be quite empowered. Hosted and self-hosted options are going to both have to be offered to ensure that you guys don't become the next Youtube. Are you guys thinking about containerization (i.e. Docker/Kubernetes)? I would love to see a client application (GUI/Console) on Win/Linux that I enter AWS/Azure/OpenStack credentials and it deploys the correct mix of vps/containers, DNS entries, and configurations to deploy a complete social media platform with rich support for media (including video of course!) and community building. Further, creating a marketplace of ad networks that could be enabled with a simple api key and plugin would be amazing, and enable opportunities to sell software to the ad networks...

I am willing to work for free since I am a student and wants work experience.

I am a NodeJS web developer from Sweden.

Please contact me.

Hello,

need some details :)

what node modules are you going to use?  

• Express ?
  • Socket.io ?

And are you planning to use a Single page app framework as React or Angular ? 

Thanks