Future of the Windows Mobile Platform

Windows on Mobile was performed on the HP Elite X3. It was un-modified and was able to run full Adobe Photoshop. This was not revealed until the end of the video after showing the demonstration.

This was shown at WinHEC 2016 during the announcement of partnering with Qualcomm.

*edit

The SOC used was the Snapdragon 821 iirc.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I am very curious which Windows Phones will still continue to be supported in one way or another. I have a strong suspicion that the Microsoft "Lumia" lineup will survive for the time being, alongside HP's Elite X3 (which is quite a high-end phone, at least spec and price-wise). Unfortunately the Nokia Lumia lineup is pretty much dead and buried, except for a couple higher-end handsets.

I've been on the Windows Phone bandwagon since its early, WP8 days with a few temporary switches to Android which prompted me to the conclusion that I prefer the WP environment, even if the userbase is unspeakably low. The so called lack of apps doesn't bother me, since my phone is just that. A phone. I don't need a billion games or whimsy apps, I just need a device that has good battery life, isn't full of bloatware, has a few essential apps (which, for me, represents Office, some conversion apps and a music player) and, ultimately, serves its main purpose of being a phone.

The closed-source nature of WM doesn't bother me in the least, the UI is familiar and easy to navigate (something pointed out by both my parents whom struggle with the smartphone transition; my mother found it so hard that she ultimately went back to using a "dumbphone" before I gave her my old Lumia 520 which she finds far easier to use than her Android phone, so I guess there's that.).

Another winning point, for me, at least, is the inter-device features. I'm primarily a Windows 10 (power)user and I find it near impossible to miss a call, text, e-mail, meeting or reminder, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. If something's up, there's at least one device to notify me, be it laptop, PC or phone.

WM/WP (whatever you want to call it) is essentially the perfect "business" phone in my view.

there are more reasons to me preferring Windows Phones, but it ultimately boils down to just that: preference.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

• 4 weeks later...

More:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-cshell

At the beginning of this year, I exclusively revealed that Microsoft is working on a brand new Windows Shell, called "Composable Shell," or "CShell," that's goal is to bring an adaptive, scalable UI across all types of device form factors, including PCs, tablets, phones, Xbox and HoloLens. Up until now, we haven't actually seen CShell in action. Thanks to Microsoft's recent accidental release of internal pre-release builds, that all changes today.

CShell is a big deal. It allows Microsoft to build one shell that scales across form factors, and in this article you will see exactly what that means. Let's start with the Start screen, which with Windows 10 Mobile differs slightly from the Start experience found on desktop. For example, Windows 10 desktop has large tile sizes, context menus and a few additional options that Windows 10 Mobile doesn't.

Supports multiple windows in the shell.

cshell_phone_0.jpg?itok=nNtPTKwq

cshell_action_center.jpg?itok=LqO9urzd

cshell_landscape_mobile.jpg?itok=OIB3qnBt

Silverlight apps do not launch with CShell. Tapping on a Silverlight app such as WhatsApp simply does nothing, because Microsoft intends to drop Silverlight support with its next attempt at Windows phone. (You can read more about that here.)

Speaking of Microsoft's next attempt at Windows phone, CShell will play a huge part in it. We're not entirely sure if CShell will be coming to existing Windows 10 Mobile devices. There's no technical reason as to why it couldn't, but we think Microsoft might want to save CShell for its next major attempt at Windows phone, which we hear will debut sometime during 2018.

CShell is the another stepping stone towards Microsoft's "One Windows" vision and is a big deal for Microsoft and Windows in general. We can't wait to see what else the company has planned for Windows 10

Its coming ... :) 

Edited by SansVarnic
fixed video link

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Snip

Too late. No incentive to switch for anyone. Ship sailed 5 years ago.

And if they cut off their existing <1% share, like they've done multiple times already, then no one is interested.

Microsoft saying "this time it's for realsies" is getting old. They've done it multiple times with multiple products and have failed to deliver each and every time. It's over. We'll just have to live with a duopoly.

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Its coming ... :) 

Super exciting!!! FINALLY.

I wonder if Microsoft essentially stop working on Windows 10 Mobile beside bug fixes here and there to focus on CShell, and "Continuum 2.0" as I like to call it.

It's interesting they're putting so much work into this when they don't really have hardware to go with it.

Unless they release a Surface Phone, and hope to do what Apple does.

Nice to see it's getting....better? Does this mean more app support? Do they finally have a decent eBay app?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's interesting they're putting so much work into this when they don't really have hardware to go with it.

Unless they release a Surface Phone, and hope to do what Apple does.

Nice to see it's getting....better? Does this mean more app support? Do they finally have a decent eBay app?

The Hardware exists, in some ways MS tipped their hand with the Surface Laptop. MS and Qualcomm have been working together on this since December. A working model was shown (somewhat) on a Snapdragon 830 so I imagine whatever processor is in the works will be revealed at the proper time. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Too late. No incentive to switch for anyone. Ship sailed 5 years ago.

And if they cut off their existing <1% share, like they've done multiple times already, then no one is interested.

Microsoft saying "this time it's for realsies" is getting old. They've done it multiple times with multiple products and have failed to deliver each and every time. It's over. We'll just have to live with a duopoly.

No one could penetrate Microsoft monopoly on the PC space. Not even the free and open source Linux, with all the customization you can want, and the so many distros. Yet, Google ate a nice piece of the pie, and Apple is taking over as well.

Chromebook rules the ultra budget space and schools space, and that is growing at a rapid rate.

And the great majority of startups are Mac only. Devs loves Mac these days. Don't believe me? Visual Studio is now on Mac. On a Mac, you bring the power of Linux thanks to its Unix based OS, so you can easily host web servers locally for development (and these days, everything must have a phone app), and you can easily do iOS development on it, which is still the platform of choice for new apps. Why? Because Apple users gives better reviews than on Android. On Android, if they are ads, people put 1 star. If you need to pay 1$, it is 1$ too pricey, and gets 1 star. When you start with 1 star, no one will try your app. In addition, it is statistically shown that iOS users spend more money than Android users. That is a fact.

Still don't believe me?

1. This is why Microsoft updated the Command Prompt window to support scaling, text selection, and anything that is standard in other OSs
  2. This is why Microsoft included Linux subsystem, and included Ubuntu, and other distro are coming. A lot of energy is put on that.
  3. You have Visual Studio on Mac in the case things don't work out, and used an advertisement vehicle to get people to try/use Microsoft software and change their perception
  4. That is why Microsoft bought and included in Visual Studio: Xamarin, to allow cross platform development.
  5. Windows 10 for ARM and Windows 10 S are both a response to Chromebooks

Microsoft is in "Danger mode" of loosing everything, and it is coming at a rapid rate. Microsoft is acting quickly to survive, and fight back.

Even if Microsoft pulls the plug tomorrow on Windows 10 Mobile. They'll retry mobile platform again and again... and as you can see from Apple and Google, on how they penetrate this Goliath of market share of Windows: Don't compete directly, go by the side... bring something that breaks new ground.

Why schools went with iPads in the US several year ago? The problem is that IT infrastructure needed for Windows, and maintenance is too demanding for schools. with iPads you have none of that. The problem is that iPads are not laptops, it is difficult to interact with it in a school environment, and freaking expensive. Google saw this, and pushed these low cost Chromebooks.

Apple saw that Microsoft stop carrying about developers since about Windows 7 days. Visual Studio barely had any features, and while the world switch to mobile phones, and this is where the money is, Microsoft was stuck there. So, Apple pushed their platform to startups. A perfect fit... "a Linux without the Linux downsides" (even though it is Unix, but it is pretty much the same in the end), and keeping with the nice polished GUI experience,  AND no IT infrastructure needed, wall garden enclosed, secure environment.

Microsoft has still massive amount of work that needs to be done, sadly. That is a fact, and they know this.. there is a massive catch-up needed.

Back to phones, Microsoft knows it needs to go in, but it need to solve the internal image of mobile, which sees mobile phones as a fad... maybe the managers are too old and needs replacement.. who knows... but you can see the top and the bottom doesn't connect due to the center part (managers). A company culture change is needed, and for a company like Microsoft, due to its size, and structure, it will take time. In addition, it needs to find something to go in on the side, in a different matter, find a weakness is go full in, and not compete directly with the rest the industry. Which I think they are. They probably aim at the Enterprise market, by having people, for work, have phones that are their laptops and tablets. They can do work on the go, and at work. They have only 1 device they carry. Near all the "latest" phone models are dual sim, allowing people to have one for work and the other one personal, and everything is focused there. The lack of apps is fine, as it is a "work phone" not an entertainment device. As the market share grows in enterprise more apps will come, and this is helped with Windows 10 true UWP Store apps, which means that they'll run on mobile too. As for Win32 Store apps packaged as UWP, no worries, Windows 10 Mobile wont' exists, it will be Windows 10 on ARM with CShell. As for employees not liking it? They don't have a choice. I don't like that companies stick the cheapest monitor money can buy on people desk, including mine, as they see no value in anything else as they don't know any better.. and your computer can't be better than the one from the manager, and the manager manager, and the manager manager manager... you get the picture. It sucks, but it is like this, unless you work in a startup, where the company knows that they compete wage wise with big companies, but this is why you have the nice decor, your 4K IPS monitor, speedy computer with lots of RAM and SSD, etc. As all this, is still cheaper than paying the same wage as the big companies.

I suspect the Surface Phone will be a a phone that has Windows 10 Mobile GUI, that you can flip open, and that turns in Standard Desktop Windows 10 with tablet mode GUI, and if you dock it, then you have the desktop GUI.

On 2017-06-05 at 6:08 PM, SansVarnic said:

The Hardware exists, in some ways MS tipped their hand with the Surface Laptop. MS and Qualcomm have been working together on this since December. A working model was shown (somewhat) on a Snapdragon 830 so I imagine whatever processor is in the works will be revealed at the proper time. 

I'd like to see how they get around app support though. That'll be the deciding factor. I don't doubt they can pull off good looking hardware, with successful cameras and such, but it's all for naught for me if they can't grab some of the big players.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd like to see how they get around app support though. That'll be the deciding factor. I don't doubt they can pull off good looking hardware, with successful cameras and such, but it's all for naught for me if they can't grab some of the big players.

With x86 support that wont be as much as a problem as you may think. A lot of the apps are already there in the Windows app store for pc and should (in theory) work in Continuum 2.0. I would like to think that after this becomes the standard for Windows Mobile more apps will follow suit, as in MS owns words, one app for all platforms. Honestly its hard to say how this will turn out though.

I will keep posting as it develops.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

With x86 support that wont be as much as a problem as you may think. A lot of the apps are already there in the Windows app store for pc and should (in theory) work in Continuum 2.0. I would like to think that after this becomes the standard for Windows Mobile more apps will follow suit, as in MS owns words, one app for all platforms. Honestly its hard to say how this will turn out though.

That won't affect banking apps though will it? As far as I know most don't make one for the Windows Store either.

I'll have to take a look and see if eBay has an app on there, and how it compares to the one on Android.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

That won't affect banking apps though will it? As far as I know most don't make one for the Windows Store either.

I'll have to take a look and see if eBay has an app on there, and how it compares to the one on Android.

Ebay and paypal both had apps on the mobile pulled those last year. iirc

Amex had one but pulled it late last year, but it is my understanding they may bring it back under uwp.

Citi has an app but it hasnt been top notch but I heard they may also do a uwp.

I dont really know. Guess we'l have to wait and see.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

x86 programs won't solve the app issue on Windows Mobile. Nobody wants to use the standard x86 apps while in smartphone mode.

It will only be useful for Continuum, which is a fairly niche usecase.

As for more UWP apps coming out in the future, how long are you expecting people to have faith and believe in the platform? Microsoft has been pushing the idea of universal apps for 5 years now and still nothing. At some point it's best to take your idea behind the barn and shoot it. I think we have reached that point with Windows mobile a long time ago.

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

They won't, and they can't. That is why it is not targeted to you or consumers. With Windows 10 on ARM powered in (by the way everything is speculative, of course), then it can run Win32 apps, which will be interesting for the enterprise market, and select consumer. And this is Microsoft strategy. Start there, grow, and with Windows 10 popularity growing, native UWP apps will come, which means more apps, and once they have an actual decent number of apps, they'll re-target the consumer market, and regrow from there. Again, all speculative. But it is a strategy that makes sense, especially that Microsoft is good at marketing things in the enterprise market (horrible at the consumers).

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

x86 programs won't solve the app issue on Windows Mobile. Nobody wants to use the standard x86 apps while in smartphone mode.

It will only be useful for Continuum, which is a fairly niche usecase.

As for more UWP apps coming out in the future, how long are you expecting people to have faith and believe in the platform? Microsoft has been pushing the idea of universal apps for 5 years now and still nothing. At some point it's best to take your idea behind the barn and shoot it. I think we have reached that point with Windows mobile a long time ago.

Guess I should have been specific by saying I am referring to apps availability in desktop/continuum mode.

And no I have no faith in the gap being solved over night but I believe that some apps will begin to migrate when the platform becomes a viable competitor.

I do have faith in the platform though. Your opinion on my position though is unnecessary as like in the past I will continue to support the platform as long as it is in development.

3 hours ago, alizaidi2000 said:

tl;dr?

No to much to cover, please read the thread.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So... what incentive is there for me to give up my perfectly fine Pixel and go back to Windows Phone/Mobile? Running x86 apps on my phone? Useless outside of Continuum, and I don't have any need for that (or Samsung's DeX, for that matter).

11 minutes ago, Daring said:

So... what incentive is there for me to give up my perfectly fine Pixel and go back to Windows Phone/Mobile? Running x86 apps on my phone? Useless outside of Continuum, and I don't have any need for that (or Samsung's DeX, for that matter).

At the moment nothing. But yet development continues.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

At the moment nothing. But yet development continues.

I think I'll just stick to my Pixel tbh