RX Vega

AMDPRO
1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

It's fun to see all those speculations. Everyone knows Vega is coming, but AMD keeps doing shit with their marketing. What did we have so far ? "Poor Volta" in the first trailer ? The naming "RX Vega" ? Tee-shirts ? And Doom at 4K with a tad more fps than a 1080 with Vulkan ? Come on... I'd be itching to get a 1080/1080 Ti if I were in the market for a GPU right now, AMD is teasing Vega for too long with too little useful specs. 

But yeah, 1600MHz seems hard to reach, but who knows, maybe with all these secrets AMD is keeping, we'll have something completely breathtaking ! Titan XpPpP perf for 1070 price ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Judging by the estimated die size of vega (around 500 mm^2) and the fact that probably around 1/4 of that is for FP64 hardware we essentially have around 400 mm^2 of gaming relevant hardware on the GPU. Compare that to GP104 and GP102 (around 310 mm^2 and 471 mm^2) would mean that IF Vega could tie Nvidia on perf/mm^2 (amd is still behind, as 1060 and 480 are similar but GP106 is about 15% smaller) then it would put it right smack in the middle of the 1080 and 1080 ti in performance. There's no way they're gonna beat the 1080 ti in performance though.

Don't expect a big perf/$ increase over Pascal either. This isn't a node jump, afterall.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Lol recycling Rage, I see what they did there

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Lol recycling Rage, I see what they did there

I hope that AMD actually calls them Rage, since IMO that name sounds sick and I'm already planning on buying a vega GPU (I have a freesync monitor hence why I'm not getting Pascal). c:

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I hope that AMD actually calls them Rage, since IMO that name sounds sick and I'm already planning on buying a vega GPU (I have a freesync monitor hence why I'm not getting Pascal). c:

Well i'm annoyed with Nvidia at the moment, they pissed me off with price hikes on Pascal release, this whole kind of "Pascal refresh" has pissed me off more, and then to announce Volta within a month of the 1080ti's release is a joke, I've just made a rant thread about it where I haven't mentioned my personal plans - but at the moment I'll of course stick with gsync and 1080, but next upgrade ill be seriously looking at AMD and freesync, getting annoyed with the Nvidia Premium on cards, gsync apparent not playing nice with Ryzen and lack of DX12 optimisation - I will quite happily have an AMD card at 80 - 90% performance of the best Nvidia offering with freesync for like 60% cost of the Nvidia solution

Kind of Ironic that my first PC was AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU and i'm now there again, the last time I dropped in a 9800pro and the Athlon 64 lasted me years, I could well find myself there again almost 15 years later after a lot of Intel love (cards have been pretty mixed admittedly)

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'm definitely interested, especially if they manage to get excellent 4k performance at a much lower price than the 1080Ti. I've been drooling over 32" 4k monitors lately and I'm pretty sure I have my heart set on a BenQ BL3201. Though things do change and only time will tell.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Well i'm annoyed with Nvidia at the moment, they pissed me off with price hikes on Pascal release, this whole kind of "Pascal refresh" has pissed me off more, and then to announce Volta within a month of the 1080ti's release is a joke, I've just made a rant thread about it where I haven't mentioned my personal plans - but at the moment I'll of course stick with gsync and 1080, but next upgrade ill be seriously looking at AMD and freesync, getting annoyed with the Nvidia Premium on cards, gsync apparent not playing nice with Ryzen and lack of DX12 optimisation - I will quite happily have an AMD card at 80 - 90% performance of the best Nvidia offering with freesync for like 60% cost of the Nvidia solution

Kind of Ironic that my first PC was AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU and i'm now there again, the last time I dropped in a 9800pro and the Athlon 64 lasted me years, I could well find myself there again almost 15 years later after a lot of Intel love (cards have been pretty mixed admittedly)

Volta probably isn't gonna be announced soon, you know. They're probably waiting for TSMC 10nm, which is a way's off.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Volta probably isn't gonna be announced soon, you know. They're probably waiting for TSMC 10nm, which is a way's off.

lots of rumours at the moment

Ryzen Ram Guide

47 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

lots of rumours at the moment

Well we know what happened to the "rx 480 at 1600 MHz" rumors. I doubt we're actually gonna get the cards right now.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Regardless of how it stacks up to Nvidia, I'll be holding off for Vega.  Not because I'm an "AMD fanboy", but because I just find some of the practices of Nvidia to be personally despicable.  Their attempts to force people into using their proprietary architecture, without giving people at least the choice of using open standards (e.g. G-Sync versus Freesync).

I just wish AMD would release more information.  Just as with the Ryzen launch, I'm getting a bit irked at the deafening silence from team red.

3 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Your rage is meh, Sir. 

AMD again rebadged and that's no big deal, Nvidia ups the memory performance and everyone loses their minds. Fuck brand loyalty, it's the reason the fastest AMD card loses in some games to a lower end Nvidia card. I'm sitting here with 980tis and Vega probably won't beat them, that blows Bro. Fuck everything but AMD blowing Nvidia out of the water. I want to buy a Vega card and have the fastest card made. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

37 minutes ago, App4that said:

Your rage is meh, Sir. 

AMD again rebadged and that's no big deal, Nvidia ups the memory performance and everyone loses their minds. Fuck brand loyalty, it's the reason the fastest AMD card loses in some games to a lower end Nvidia card. I'm sitting here with 980tis and Vega probably won't beat them, that blows Bro. Fuck everything but AMD blowing Nvidia out of the water. I want to buy a Vega card and have the fastest card made. 

Well ye, if the AMD offering is still sub par ill stick with my 1080 a while longer, I may even SLI a used one when all the fools jump on the volta wagon

Ryzen Ram Guide

45 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Regardless of how it stacks up to Nvidia, I'll be holding off for Vega.  Not because I'm an "AMD fanboy", but because I just find some of the practices of Nvidia to be personally despicable.  Their attempts to force people into using their proprietary architecture, without giving people at least the choice of using open standards (e.g. G-Sync versus Freesync).

I just wish AMD would release more information.  Just as with the Ryzen launch, I'm getting a bit irked at the deafening silence from team red.

That's just how corporations work, if AMD was in the same position I GUARANTEE you they would be doing the same thing.

I'm pretty sure G-Sync was because adaptive sync wasn't out back then, so Nvidia couldn't base it off anything else.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Well ye, if the AMD offering is still sub par ill stick with my 1080 a while longer, I may even SLI a used one when all the fools jump on the volta wagon

I'm living the binary life of happy I'm still able to use my 980tis, and pissed nothing has beat them yet. Honestly the most impressed I've been in years is my Switch. If that keeps going I'm be strictly doing production on the rig and gaming on console. 

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

That's just how corporations work, if AMD was in the same position I GUARANTEE you they would be doing the same thing.

Speculation.  Perhaps, perhaps not.  If so, then I'd be as much against them as I am Nvidia right now.  As it stands, Nvidia is the current target of my "wrath". ;)

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I'm pretty sure G-Sync was because adaptive sync wasn't out back then, so Nvidia couldn't base it off anything else.

Yes, I realize that, but it is an official part of the DP standard now, which means it wouldn't take much for Nvidia to add it to their cards.  That they do not, means they wish to force their customers into using their proprietary technology.

In any event, that was just one such example.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Speculation.  Perhaps, perhaps not.  If so, then I'd be as much against them as I am Nvidia right now.  As it stands, Nvidia is the current target of my "wrath". ;)

Yes, I realize that, but it is an official part of the DP standard now, which means it wouldn't take much for Nvidia to add it to their cards.  That they do not, means they wish to force their customers into using their proprietary technology.

The target of your wrath will follow who controls the market. Because you only judge them for their actions. Why the 500 rebadge is completely missed. 

11 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Speculation? That's just how capitalism works.

AMD isn't perfect either. They've done things. Back in 2011 or so I think they lied about their upcoming APUs causing their stocks to go up (they got sued for it). You could find bad things about EVERY corporation.

Except that would risk pushing the people already using G-Sync monitors away. Which could cost them a lot of money. It would hurt them financially, hence why they don't do that.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

The target of your wrath will follow who controls the market. Because you only judge them for their actions. Why the 500 rebadge is completely missed. 

Exactly, it's not that any corporation is "good." It's following a blind chase that will never end.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, App4that said:

and the 300 and the 400 :/

Ryzen Ram Guide

3 hours ago, stealth80 said:

and the 300 and the 400 :/

400 series weren't rebadges, but the 300 series were.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

400 series weren't rebadges, but the 300 series were.

wow really? I thought with the minimum gains that the the 480 was basically a tweaked 390 and the 470 a tweaked 380. I got that wrong

Edit: Quick read yup, redesign and die shrink from 28nm to 14nm, I was well and truly in deep with the 1080 reviews at this point in my defence :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

wow really? I thought with the minimum gains that the the 480 was basically a tweaked 390 and the 470 a tweaked 380. I got that wrong

Edit: Quick read yup, redesign and die shrink from 28nm to 14nm, I was well and truly in deep with the 1080 reviews at this point in my defence :)

Lol, you managed to miss out completely on Polaris xD

Polaris is supposed to be the biggest architectural revision since GCN itself, so I mean... :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Lol, you managed to miss out completely on Polaris xD

Polaris is supposed to be the biggest architectural revision since GCN itself, so I mean... :P 

Well I know exactly where it is in terms of performance, and I normally recommend it over the 1060 due to the ever increasing performance with driver revisions, but ye, I missed that boat lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

I don't understand this whole lack of Vega information being a marketing screw up. AMD has had massively high profile releases for the past couple of months. First you had the Ryzen 7, then 5, then the 5XX series. You don't want to overshadow any of those.. you want what you are releasing to dominate the news cycle as much as possible... especially when you are in the position AMD is in with high profile products flowing out on a monthly basis lately. It will be Vega's turn, just give it some time as AMD is setting up the news cycle. All signs are pointing to Computex, now if they don't reveal anything at Computex... rage away.

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Judging by the estimated die size of vega (around 500 mm^2) and the fact that probably around 1/4 of that is for FP64 hardware we essentially have around 400 mm^2 of gaming relevant hardware on the GPU. Compare that to GP104 and GP102 (around 310 mm^2 and 471 mm^2) would mean that IF Vega could tie Nvidia on perf/mm^2 (amd is still behind, as 1060 and 480 are similar but GP106 is about 15% smaller) then it would put it right smack in the middle of the 1080 and 1080 ti in performance. There's no way they're gonna beat the 1080 ti in performance though.

Don't expect a big perf/$ increase over Pascal either. This isn't a node jump, afterall.

Thanks for the lecture on all the things I already know. The second part of my comment was sarcastic man :P 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

22 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Thanks for the lecture on all the things I already know. The second part of my comment was sarcastic man :P 

Oops lol. Just so you know sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet. Add /s in the future just to make sure idiots like me can tell xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler