DIY Water cooling - Pump flow per hour

Go to solution Solved by Gawron10001,

I thought the same, I'll go for 500 L/h pump. I think it will do the work

Hey, I'am making myslef DIY water cooling system, not to cool my system, only to check if DIY can perform any well. And here is the question. How much flow per hour/minute should pump have? I know pumps have usualy 500L/h, but want to know, what is the minimum.  Can it be 3 or 2 liters per minute 180 / 120 per hour?

Anwsering eventual questions

-I have normal pump

-No, I won't use it because i want to do Whole DIY build

/Kacper

Quote me so I can reply <3

Depends how many rads and blocks you have. Usually as long as the water flows completely through it's enough. Faster pump speed rarely results in lower temps.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

For processor and graphichs card. Okey, so i will test with 2L/ min, and find out if it is working out. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Gawron10001 said:

For processor and graphichs card. Okey, so i will test with 2L/ min, and find out if it is working out. Thanks!

My guess would be that 200-300l/hr would do the job. In the end it's how much pressure the pump creates and with how much force it pushes out the water. Of course for more pressure you need to turn up the power of the pump which results in a higher flowrate :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I thought the same, I'll go for 500 L/h pump. I think it will do the work

• 2 years later...

1 GPM , which is about 227 LPH is ur average target, anything above that has diminishing returns.

You dont really want to go below 0.5 GPM (114 LPH)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 4/20/2017 at 10:02 AM, samcool55 said:

Faster pump speed rarely results in lower temps.

False

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

1 hour ago, Fakmykak said:

False

true from what i have seen, as long as its not super low its usually not much of a difference, if you have some actual numbers behind your very insightful retort id love to learn

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

true from what i have seen, as long as its not super low its usually not much of a difference, if you have some actual numbers behind your very insightful retort id love to learn

I own a H100i (a liquid cooler in case you did not know) and every time I set the pump to a higher speed my water temp drops 1c while Pc is idle.

I have literally changed my pump speed from quiet(1100RPM) to Extreme(3050 or so RPM) in the middle of a prime95 stress test, and I watched my CPU temps drop nearly 10c. 

And no, I am not about to re run all of my tests just to prove you wrong, regarding something quite obvious. 

How fast water is moving through a loop 100% affects temperatures....... 

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

19 hours ago, Fakmykak said:

I own a H100i (a liquid cooler in case you did not know) and every time I set the pump to a higher speed my water temp drops 1c while Pc is idle.

I have literally changed my pump speed from quiet(1100RPM) to Extreme(3050 or so RPM) in the middle of a prime95 stress test, and I watched my CPU temps drop nearly 10c. 

And no, I am not about to re run all of my tests just to prove you wrong, regarding something quite obvious. 

How fast water is moving through a loop 100% affects temperatures....... 

That's because the pumps inside AIOs have extremely low flow rates. It's almost just a trickle of water. When dealing with proper watercooling pumps like a D5, the difference in flow rates makes almost no difference. The temperature dependance on flow rate decreases exponentially.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020