BOSE used their smartphone app to spy on customers - lawsuit claims

zMeul
23 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Are you kidding, everything should have flashing lights and large bold print with a voice reading to you out loud and make a agreement for every sentence so people have the option to agree to only parts.

Actually, yes, they should. Courts have ruled time and again that sweeping things under the EULA carpet isn't enough to claim informed consent.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Actually, yes, they should. Courts have ruled time and again that sweeping things under the EULA carpet isn't enough to claim informed consent.

I was just being facetious about it. It was entirely in joking manner. I have thoughts about it myself and since I am on both sides of the coin, I can see it from both sides.

You know what they say about BOSE.

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Ye ole' train

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Gathering your customer's data if they agreed to it (in some form or fashion) is "okay".

Gathering your customer's data if they didn't agree to it or had no option to opt-out is not.

I'm pretty sure saying they're not tracking your data when you open the app isn't okay as well

bose.png

Spoiler

How We Share Information with Third Parties

We share the information that we collect with a variety of third parties.  Additionally, other third parties collect information directly through the app.

Analytics providers and similar service providers.  As discussed above, we may partner with certain third parties to collect the non-personal information discussed above and to engage in analysis, auditing, research, and reporting.  These third parties may use SDKs or other tracking mechanisms to collect information from the app and from your device.  Such parties may include crash and bug analytics providers like Crashlytics and service providers like Segment that enable us to better control data from the app and direct it to third-party analytics providers.  The use of online tracking mechanisms and non-personal data by these third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and not this policy.  Although the app currently does not respond to “do not track” requests, the data collected through the app is not used to create user profiles for behavioral advertising or similar purposes.

I just checked the terms. What the actual fuck. 

What will they listen from me? Heavy metal in general along team coordination in games?

But yes, very shitty indeed.. the app register and such for this..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

zMeul...please follow the posting guidelines. You know them, and you should know what you are missing. You know the drill.. fix it so that I can move it back to Tech News section.

5 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:
  Hide contents

How We Share Information with Third Parties

We share the information that we collect with a variety of third parties.  Additionally, other third parties collect information directly through the app.

Analytics providers and similar service providers.  As discussed above, we may partner with certain third parties to collect the non-personal information discussed above and to engage in analysis, auditing, research, and reporting.  These third parties may use SDKs or other tracking mechanisms to collect information from the app and from your device.  Such parties may include crash and bug analytics providers like Crashlytics and service providers like Segment that enable us to better control data from the app and direct it to third-party analytics providers.  The use of online tracking mechanisms and non-personal data by these third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and not this policy.  Although the app currently does not respond to “do not track” requests, the data collected through the app is not used to create user profiles for behavioral advertising or similar purposes.

I just checked the terms. What the actual fuck. 

How can that possibly be reconciled with the screenshot by @Orangeducko.O I mean, other than plain lying :P 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's keeping score here, Bose has responded by saying this suit is inflammatory and more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bose-response-spying-headphone-users-app-2017-4
-- interesting to see how many people (including the hosts) apparently pre-judged the allegations before hearing a peep from the other side.

Does the wan show do follow-ups, or is that not a thing?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν