i7 4790K is INSANELY bottlenecking my GTX 1080 ti

Max_Settings
47 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Was the 980 Ti overclocked?

I have both a 980 Ti and two 1070s...The 980 Ti runs at 1.5 GHz just fine, the 1070 runs at (2.1 GHz / 2.08GHz on the other). I don't remember the memory off the top of my head, but I overclocked the VRAM as well...

The 980 Ti pulls ahead of the 1070 in everything I've tired...except for 3Dmark timespy.

In rendering, there's a 10-14% gap between the two in vray in favor of the 980 Ti. I don't own many games, but in all of the ones I have, the 980 Ti runs at a lower GPU usage than the 1070.

But if you have some advice on how I can get my 1070s to run faster, do let me know...I mostly use all of my GPUs as GPUs for CUDA rendering in vray.

If stock, then yes, I'd agree the 980 Ti would be slower. The 980 Ti gains a lot when overclocked though.

I confirm what you say !! Maybe I was high or idk hehe

But i think i wud go for the 1070 for the 8 gb vram and newer architecture

23 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Hello, I just received my Aorus GTX 1080 ti to replace my GTX 980. I have been testing it out in games and in every game I have tried so far I have noticed very low GPU usage. In all the games I have noticed that my i7 4790 overclocked to 4.7ghz was at 100% usage. I have trad Overwatch, Watch Dogs, Ghost Recons Wildlands, and a few more games, and in every one my CPU is at 100% but my GPU is only sitting around 70% usage. I am playing at 1080p so maybe that's the issue? Is there a way to get more FPS out of this card?

This is probably because the GTX1080ti is not designed for 1080p gaming. You should try testing it in a game that allows you to run the game at higher than the native resolution of your monitor. I would recommend trying to run the games at 4K. This should shift the workload to something more GPU oriented.   

Its not going to run at full load. Your reaching a CPU bottleneck due to the resolution the CPU cannot deliver the information fast enough to the GPU due to just how powerful a 1080 Ti is. You need to up the resolution DSR might be the best option. In the current day GPU's are way faster then CPU's due to the silicone limit. Its not your CPU but the GPU will never run at max 100 percent load at 1080p with any CPU even an i7 7700k wouldn't help at 5ghz. You need to up that resolution or return that GPU and get a GTX 1080 and a 1440p monitor probably your best option!

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

2 hours ago, rcald2000 said:

Check CPU temps anyway.  It'll only take you 30 seconds to download and run the application.  I've seen failures in AIO coolers that aren't apparent.  Please check the temps while gaming.  I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but could you please check?

Any update?

1 hour ago, smokefest said:

-snip-

Yeah, I would agree, I'd go with a 1070. I had both, one 980 Ti vs one 1070. When it came to getting another one, I decided on another used 1070 because the heat output of the 980 Ti is quite bad. I have two 1070s with only one slot in between and even under rendering load, they're at 66C (vs 76C+ on the 980 Ti by itself).

5 hours ago, rcald2000 said:

Check CPU temps anyway.  It'll only take you 30 seconds to download and run the application.  I've seen failures in AIO coolers that aren't apparent.  Please check the temps while gaming.  I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but could you please check?

I have HW monitor already and it's at 55C

@App4that I might watch that later. I don't know why we're having this argument though. The fact that this CPU is the bottleneck here isn't extraordinary, it goes without saying.

7 hours ago, othertomperson said:

@App4that I might watch that later. I don't know why we're having this argument though. The fact that this CPU is the bottleneck here isn't extraordinary, it goes without saying.

Because the CPU is not a bottleneck. That's the point of contention. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

My mouse pad is a bottle neck as my dpi is set so low on my mouse that I run off the edges. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

My mouse pad is a bottle neck as my dpi is set so low on my mouse that I run off the edges. 

Swear, we need to start a drinking game where we take a shot everytime someone says bottleneck. 

2 hours ago, App4that said:

Because the CPU is not a bottleneck. That's the point of contention. 

It isn't a point of contention. The 4790K is not a magical chip that can do infinite calculations per second and keep up with every framerate. Pairing a high end card like a 1080 Ti at a very low resolution and unconstraining the framerate is the textbook way of forcing a CPU bottleneck and is how CPUs are even benchmarked in games.

Just because you want to argue that the sky is green does not make it being blue a controversial statement.

Just now, othertomperson said:

It isn't a point of contention. The 4790K is not a magical chip that can do infinite calculations per second and keep up with every framerate. Pairing a high end card like a 1080 Ti at a very low resolution and unconstraining the framerate is the textbook way of forcing a CPU bottleneck and is how CPUs are even benchmarked in games.

Just because you want to argue that the sky is green does not make it being blue a controversial argument.

Bro, after a curtain point the card is irrelevant. You said it yourself, the CPU doaesn't really care about resolution, it has the max number of frames it can call. That number for the 4790k is above the refresh rate of 99% of monitors.

Done. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Bro, after a curtain point the card is irrelevant. You said it yourself, the CPU doaesn't really care about resolution, it has the max number of frames it can call. That number for the 4790k is above the refresh rate of 99% of monitors.

Done. 

lmfao because it's impossible to output a framerate higher than the refreshrate of the monitor xD It's also not possible that as resolution decreases GPU load can also decrease, and therefore reveal the CPU's maximum framerate. And it's also unthinkable that when the CPU is doing this it might be at 100% load.

Do you know what "unconstrained" means? Is that the problem with your understanding here, that you cannot conceive of a world in which v-sync is not on?

It's a bottleneck. Jesus Christ.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

lmfao because it's impossible to output a framerate higher than the refreshrate of the monitor xD It's also not possible that as resolution decreases GPU load can also decrease, and therefore reveal the CPU's maximum framerate. And it's also unthinkable that when the CPU is doing this it might be at 100% load.

It's a bottleneck. Jesus Christ.

Have you run 144hz in BF1 using a 4790k? I have, 60% utilization. We had this conversation before you came in and called BS.

Just now, App4that said:

Have you run 144hz in BF1 using a 4790k? I have, 60% utilization. We had this conversation before you can in and called BS.

I'm tearing my hear out over how utterly irrelevant that is. Turn v-sync off, run it at 800x600 at 200 fps and OH LOOK BOTTLENECK.

I'm tearing my hear out over how utterly irrelevant that is. Turn v-sync off, run it at 800x600 at 200 fps and OH LOOK BOTTLENECK.

Didn't bother to check the monitor I run, huh? I can't run V-SYNC...

Just now, App4that said:

Didn't bother to check the monitor I run, huh? I can't run V-SYNC...

I don't care about you enough to browse your profile no, but it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. And why should I when I'm talking to someone who thinks that the 4790k is made out of magic pixie dust and is capable of infinite framerates and so at no point will it ever reach its limitation?

I don't care about you enough to browse your profile no, but it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. And why should I when I'm talking to someone who thinks that the 4790k is made out of magic pixie dust and is capable of infinite framerates and so at no point will it ever reach its limitation?

Have you tried reading the posts? No where has anyone said the 4790k can't run out of performace, the topic is about that performance 

Below

the refreshrate of a monitor. 

Just now, App4that said:

Have you tried reading the posts? No where has anyone said the 4790k can't run out of performace, the topic is about that performance 

Below

the refreshrate of a monitor. 

You might want to sit down for this one because it's going to blow your mind:

your in game fps is in no way connected to your monitor's refresh rate.

I KNOW. HOLY SHIT, RIGHT!?

You might want to sit down for this one because it's going to blow your mind:

your in game fps is in no way connected to your monitor's refresh rate.

I KNOW. HOLY SHIT, RIGHT!?

I lock 144fps, in BF1, using a 4790k, and two 980ti, with the CPU utilization at 60%. 

Let me know when that sinks in. 

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

I lock 144fps, in BF1, using a 4790k, and two 980ti, with the CPU utilization at 60%. 

Let me know when that sinks in. 

I know that you lock framerate, that is my entire point. I'm going to ask you one more time: is the problem that you have no idea what "unconstrained" means?

Your bottleneck right now is your 144 fps lock. If you remove that, lower your resolution, turn off G-Sync you will max out your CPU. You will experience

a

bottleneck.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:10 PM, Max_Settings said:

Hello, I just received my Aorus GTX 1080 ti to replace my GTX 980. I have been testing it out in games and in every game I have tried so far I have noticed very low GPU usage. In all the games I have noticed that my i7 4790 overclocked to 4.7ghz was at 100% usage. I have trad Overwatch, Watch Dogs, Ghost Recons Wildlands, and a few more games, and in every one my CPU is at 100% but my GPU is only sitting around 70% usage. I am playing at 1080p so maybe that's the issue? Is there a way to get more FPS out of this card?

I know that you lock framerate, that is my entire point. I'm going to ask you one more time: is the problem that you have no idea what "unconstrained" means?

Look up. They say every game. You are trying to prove an off topic point. Poorly. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Look up. They say every game. You are trying to prove an off topic point. Poorly. 

...off... off topic? You think that pointing out the fact that you were saying you had no bottleneck while artificially limiting your FPS yourself is off topic?

I just... I've never experienced this level of stupid before and I've taught mixed ability 11 year olds. Are you trolling for real? Because it's not physically possible to reach adulthood in this condition, surely...

So now we are making bottle necks? Just dumb to blame a CPU when you play on a baby res and say the card it too good. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

...off... off topic? You think that pointing out the fact that you were saying you had no bottleneck while artificially limiting your FPS yourself is off topic?

I just... I've never experienced this level of stupid before and I've taught mixed ability 11 year olds. Are you trolling for real? Because it's not physically possible to reach adulthood in this condition, surely...

Listen. I admitted I missed the OP never listed the fps they were getting so if the monitor is 60hz theres the GPU utilization issue. 

They are saying they're getting 100% CPU utilization in all their games, not a few, all of them. That's NOT your argument that if you remove the monitor the 4790k can be the limiting factor. You're being an ass, frankly. The OP has an issue, and rather than seeing that you're pushing an off topic argument.