i7 4790K is INSANELY bottlenecking my GTX 1080 ti

Max_Settings
4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i do not run an antivirus...never have, never will...i run geforce experience and afterburner, that's about it...BF1 is very funky with CPU utilisation...sometimes in a game i get 60% and then the map change and suddently it's in the 85 to 95% range...

Check this clip here i recorded this myself on my machine, nothing running other than shadowplay...check CPU usage:

see it even hit ans stick to 100% quite often...this was back when i was on the 980ti and hyper 212 cooler...

Neveer had a problem, but stuff like this is why I don't play the game. Also a quick PSA. Ditch the GFE, like now. That's your problem. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

We should probably stop using CPU utilization as a measure of CPU power with HT processors since 50% doesn't indicate what the per core usage is, i.e. is it 50% on all logical cores or is it 100% on 4 cores with the rest at 0%.

Example, Battlefield 1 for my 4690K is usually sitting around 70% each core but the 4790K (when I switched to it) ran 60% due to the load being spread on 8 cores with variation between cores 1-3 being higher than 4-8.

By itself CPU usage % is a useless metric unless you add the load balances.

Edit: As an obvious joke Minecraft runs my i5 to 30%.

Spoiler

100% on core 1 while the rest are flopping around.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I own a 4790K (not even overclocked right now) and it doesn't bottleneck my 1080 Ti by a longshot. Granted, I play at 4K since that's where the Ti excels; you really should've bought a 1440p monitor and a 1080; 1080 Ti is stupid overkill for 1080p.

16 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

snip

Ignore all the people saying the 1080ti is overkill for 1080p gaming. Most people have zero experience with high end hardware besides what they see on youtube. Then they feel the need to tell other people what they think they know. To bad really cause it further perpetuates the misconceptions such as the "1080ti is for 4k gaming". We can get one thing straight though! GPU load is dependent of game/program utilization.

If it makes you feel better, I have a couple 1080tis coming in for 1080p gaming. So you're not the only one.

Currently I'm rocking a 7700k, 32gb DDR4, 980ti and in Battlefield 1 @ 1080p Max settings I'm only getting 100-130fps depending on the map. GPU load is 100% - CPU load is 60-80+%.

Other games that max GPU load @ 1080p

Tom Clancy's Wildlands

GTA V

Far Cry 4

Fallout 4

7 days to die

As some others have said, you may need to play around with your drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, play around with what programs are running in the backround. Some Apps utilize the CPU sharing the available load when gaming, that can put you over the top, reducing fps and dropping GPU load. Play around closing some of the unneeded apps, or check your computer for malware, spyware, viruses, etc.

Hope you find out what the problem is. Good luck!

16 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Resolution doesn't matter, its all about how GPU intensive the task is, tomb raider at 1080p all settings cranked will use 100% of the gpu without a CPU bottleneck at 1080p.

hey! SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!!!! Thanks for stopping by and speaking up!

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

Haven't seen anything high end here yet. Sounds like a software issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Haven't seen anything high end here yet. Sounds like a software issue. 

GFE, I refuse to put that bloatware on my rig. I take a big hit to CPU utilization if I do. 

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

GFE, I refuse to put that bloatware on my rig. I take a big hit to CPU utilization if I do. 

I've only experienced a hit on games that use GFE's suggested setups like Borderlands or Mordor, might be me though.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I've only experienced a hit on games that use GFE's suggested setups like Borderlands or Mordor, might be me though.

Couple of things. First and foremost GFE records your gaming to help Nvidia, that takes resources. Yeah, the GFE is also trying to change your settings. 

Use DDU, manually install the driver and DO NOT install GFE. Try that for a week. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but just because your cpu is at 100% usage doesn't mean the gpu is being bottle necked to wherever percentage it's at. I think a lot of people believe that CPU % + GPU % = Magic and sweet gold. You said that you had a 144hz 1080p monitor; assuming your using V-Sync to lock at 144hz (With a 1080ti I know your maxing at 144fps on all games) if your at 144 frames the gpu will not need to work harder to go above that; hence the 70% usage. But in all reality the cpu and gpu usage are more complex then people realize. The cpu and gpu are depend of each other but at the same time do things independently. 

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Mm, I remember when people were saying my 780 Ti was "meant for 1440p" and that it was insane overkill for 1080p... and now equivalent cards like the RX 480 are "just right" for 1080p...

Because it was true at the time... one day a Titan Xp will be barely sufficient for 1080p. Not long after that it will not even be that. And I would stand by that assertion to this day -- if you are spending £500 (or more) on a GPU for 1080p you're doing it wrong. it would have cost you less to buy an R9 280 and then an RX 480 (or Nvidia equivalents) than that 780 Ti. "Futureproofing" is a bullshit concept and does not save money in the long term. Or the short term.

The 780 Ti's value was in its performance when it was new, not its performance over time. The same is true of the R9 290X, which was still around £400 on release. It would have been silly to buy that card for 1080p then, it's value was in 1440p and those users no longer find it up to the same standard.

And to reiterate when I said earlier now that I'm home, this is what GPU load looks like in RotTR at 1080p on dual GTX 1080s

This is what a CPU bottleneck looks like. It's not a virus, it's not GeForce Experience, it's not a "driver issue", it's a mundane as fuck "this GPU is way overpowered for the game, CPU and resolution combination". It will blow your mind, but if I force a limit to 60 fps GPU usage drops further.

57 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

snip

You really can't use a 780ti as a measure for how well a 1080ti will do. The differnce is much greater this time between a 980ti and a 1080ti.

Your video shows fps in the 144hz range with two cards, I run the same game with 2 980ti and don't have that problem with a 4790k. 2 980ti beat a 1080ti in a lot of games, ROTTR being one of them. 

So I kindly call BS. 

1 hour ago, Ericarthurc said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but just because your cpu is at 100% usage doesn't mean the gpu is being bottle necked to wherever percentage it's at.  

Depends on too many things to be simply a yes or no answer. 

Background services, like a virus scan or optimization, could cause a decline in performance when using the CPU in that instance. Also...

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

We should probably stop using CPU utilization as a measure of CPU power with HT processors since 50% doesn't indicate what the per core usage is, i.e. is it 50% on all logical cores or is it 100% on 4 cores with the rest at 0%.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, App4that said:

You really can't use a 780ti as a measure for how well a 1080ti will do. The differnce is much greater this time between a 980ti and a 1080ti.

Your video shows fps in the 144hz range with two cards, I run the same game with 2 980ti and don't have that problem with a 4790k. 2 980ti beat a 1080ti in a lot of games, ROTTR being one of them. 

So I kindly call BS. 

It is a user issue for sure. No way a 4790k bottleneck a 1080ti xD

19 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Hello, I just received my Aorus GTX 1080 ti to replace my GTX 980. I have been testing it out in games and in every game I have tried so far I have noticed very low GPU usage. In all the games I have noticed that my i7 4790 overclocked to 4.7ghz was at 100% usage. I have trad Overwatch, Watch Dogs, Ghost Recons Wildlands, and a few more games, and in every one my CPU is at 100% but my GPU is only sitting around 70% usage. I am playing at 1080p so maybe that's the issue? Is there a way to get more FPS out of this card?

You are having windows or driver issue. It is possible you have a Virus that load ur CPU all the time.

I would format and re-instlal windows brand new with the latest drivers and try again if I was you.

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Theres no way a 4790k bottleneck a 1080ti lollll funny post obviously OP is having driver / windows issue

Minesweeper capped my 6800K at 60Hz...

Spoiler

Don't kill me.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Minesweeper capped my 6800K at 60Hz...

Reveal hidden contents

Don't kill me.

Pff, my pentium 2 could run minesweeper at at least 30 fps I call bullshit on this one, your 6800k can run minesweeper at at leaaaast 75 hz but at 144 hz, pc will burn and explode fly to space and land on moon

36 minutes ago, App4that said:

So I kindly call BS. 

You don't think so? You think the 1080 Ti is not going to eventually become comparatively less powerful than newer GPUs and suffer when games get more demanding? You think the 1080 Ti is going to sit at the top of the tree for all eternity? The 1080 Ti will eventually be comparable to a mid-range GPU. This is not a controversial statement.

What are you calling BS on? The only reason that my CPU is not at a flat 100% usage is because it's a 6 core and, while RotTR is better threaded than most games, it cannot fully max all 12 threads of my Sandy Bridge CPU consistently. If you turn vsync off and play this game at 1080p you will see your quad core maxed and your GPUs not being fully utlised. It's not an "issue", it's a basic bottleneck. This is not a controversial statement either.

You should go back and read through the thread and find the part where OP said that they had vsync on and that they were limited to 60 fps and still were getting 100% utilisation, because they never said that and the most reasonable explanation is that their framerate is not constrained.

4 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

You don't think so? You think the 1080 Ti is not going to eventually become comparatively less powerful than newer GPUs and suffer when games get more demanding? You think the 1080 Ti is going to sit at the top of the tree for all eternity?

What are you calling BS on? The only reason that my CPU is not at a flat 100% usage is because it's a 6 core and, while RotTR is better threaded than most games, it cannot fully max all 12 threads of my Sandy Bridge CPU consistently. If you turn vsync off and play this game at 1080p you will see your quad core maxed and your GPUs not being fully utlised. It's not an "issue", it's a basic bottleneck.

My 980ti still beats a 1070 and runs with some 1080's, give it a partner and no single card touches them. As Nvidia gives people a reason to buy the upper cards at the price they ask, those cards stay relevent longer. Will be a few generations before a 1080ti is towards the bottom.

BS that a 4790k is bottlnecking a 1080ti. If that was true no CPU could handle a 1080ti, and that's just not the case. You said no outside factors were responseable, I again kindly call that statement out as incorrect. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

My 980ti still beats a 1070 and runs with some 1080's, give it a partner and no single card touches them. As Nvidia gives people a reason to buy the upper cards at the price they ask, those cards stay relevent longer. Will be a few generations before a 1080ti is towards the bottom.

BS that a 4790k is bottlnecking a 1080ti. If that was true no CPU could handle a 1080ti, and that's just not the case. You said no outside factors were responseable, I again kindly call that statement out as incorrect. 

how come ur 980 ti ahead of a 1070 ? I have a 1070 and it beats my friend 980 ti and rest of our computer is the exact same thing.

Did you oc it with nuclear power ?

In all benchmarks, the 1070 was ahead of the 980 ti in 90% of games.

I agree. There is no way a 4790k bottleneck any GPU. That is a fact not an opinion.

11 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

You don't think so? You think the 1080 Ti is not going to eventually become comparatively less powerful than newer GPUs and suffer when games get more demanding? You think the 1080 Ti is going to sit at the top of the tree for all eternity? The 1080 Ti will eventually be comparable to a mid-range GPU. This is not a controversial statement.

What are you calling BS on? The only reason that my CPU is not at a flat 100% usage is because it's a 6 core and, while RotTR is better threaded than most games, it cannot fully max all 12 threads of my Sandy Bridge CPU consistently. If you turn vsync off and play this game at 1080p you will see your quad core maxed and your GPUs not being fully utlised. It's not an "issue", it's a basic bottleneck. This is not a controversial statement either.

You should go back and read through the thread and find the part where OP said that they had vsync on and that they were limited to 60 fps and still were getting 100% utilisation, because they never said that and the most reasonable explanation is that their framerate is not constrained.

My 6700k runs RotTR with my gtx 1070 without vsync over 100+ fps and the CPU is never over 60% and the gpu always at 100% ,

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

how come ur 980 ti ahead of a 1070 ? I have a 1070 and it beats my friend 980 ti and rest of our computer is the exact same thing.

Did you oc it with nuclear power ?

In all benchmarks, the 1070 was ahead of the 980 ti in 90% of games.

I agree. There is no way a 4790k bottleneck any GPU. That is a fact not an opinion.

Luck. Pure luck. My card doen't overclock to an impressive number, just out performs most other 980ti. It's a EVGA Hybrid, reference PCB and everything. EVGA sent out 5 Classified trying to find one that could hang with it, they failed. Finally found it a partner on Ebay. 

13 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

of course a 1080ti will become a "bad" gpu in 5 years or whatever years... like any component...

But no a 4790k doesnt bottleneck any gpu yet come on !!!

Well , for starters , you are running at 1080p...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case