What kind of cooling will I need for an R5 1600

I've been looking at upgrading to an ITX Ryzen system once I have the money, and I'm trying to plan out what I need in terms of cooling. What are the cooling requirements for the R5 1600 looking like? I think the case I want to go with is the Fractal Core 500, because it's really small but has full size hardware support including a 280 rad. I figure that my Hyper 212 will do ok with the chip at stock, but will I need liquid cooling to OC? And how would it run on an SFF cooler like the NH-L9i or Cryorig C7 if I end up going with a more restrictive case? Could I ever hope to OC it with one of those coolers? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Stock cooler can get you to a 3.5-3.9Ghz OC.  Ryzen runs really cool for 6c/12t CPUs so you can get away with using your 212 easy peasy.  I'd personally get a 140mm/280mm rad for max OC and silence.  SFF CPU coolers kinda suck lol

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I've been looking at upgrading to an ITX Ryzen system once I have the money, and I'm trying to plan out what I need in terms of cooling. What are the cooling requirements for the R5 1600 looking like? I think the case I want to go with is the Fractal Core 500, because it's really small but has full size hardware support including a 280 rad. I figure that my Hyper 212 will do ok with the chip at stock, but will I need liquid cooling to OC? And how would it run on an SFF cooler like the NH-L9i or Cryorig C7 if I end up going with a more restrictive case? Could I ever hope to OC it with one of those coolers? 

people have been OCing them with stock coolers so I'd say you could probably get some sort of OC on pretty much any decent aftermarket cooler.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Stock is the way to go.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Pretty sure this is the only CPU I've seen people recommend the stock cooling solution for OC. 

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the stock cooler will work fine, even with a oc. these chips dont run that hot

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Stock cooler can get you to a 3.5-3.9Ghz OC.  Ryzen runs really cool for 6c/12t CPUs so you can get away with using your 212 easy peasy.  I'd personally get a 140mm/280mm rad for max OC and silence.  SFF CPU coolers kinda suck lol

8 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

people have been OCing them with stock coolers so I'd say you could probably get some sort of OC on pretty much any decent aftermarket cooler.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Stock is the way to go.

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

Pretty sure this is the only CPU I've seen people recommend the stock cooling solution for OC. 

Oh awesome! I thought it ran hotter than that! Well I won't bother with the stock cooler just since I can get an AM4 bracket for my Hyper 212 and use that, but good to know I don't need an AIO or anything. Still think I'll go with the Core 500 because of its awesome hardware support in other areas as well, but good to know I have more options than I thought. Thanks guys.

18 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

the biggest, baddest, most expensive monster water cooling there is of course. seriously id expect 3.8-3.9 out of air and 4.0-4.1 out of a h115i aio

Oh awesome! I thought it ran hotter than that! Well I won't bother with the stock cooler just since I can get an AM4 bracket for my Hyper 212 and use that, but good to know I don't need an AIO or anything. Still think I'll go with the Core 500 because of its awesome hardware support in other areas as well, but good to know I have more options than I thought. Thanks guys.

AMD Actually gave Intel a very hard slap on the face with the current stock coolers, they are pretty and well performing, in fact wraith stock coolers that comes with the ryzen 7 are on the 212 evo performance range so you have an idea.

I really liked how AMD finally gave stock cooling love, I can't express enough how much it bothered me to see the very expensive i7 7700 I bought come with the same old shitty stock cooler Intel uses in forever... no love at all for the consumer... but I'm the one laughing last as I got the 1800x over the 6850k for the workstation, end up with better performance for cheaper.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Do they have ITX systems yet? and if you can find it in your area or online, I suggest going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B.

Idk about the r5 1600 but my r7 1700 can get to 3.7 on air no problem but at 3.8 it is a bit too hot for my tastes. This is using the 212x. I would say if you are OK with it running hot you could get above 3.7 on all cores pretty easily. 

1 hour ago, Shura said:

Do they have ITX systems yet? and if you can find it in your area or online, I suggest going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B.

Biostar just announced a couple of ITX boards but I don't think they're available yet. But I won't have the money for this for a couple months anyway.

Biostar just announced a couple of ITX boards but I don't think they're available yet. But I won't have the money for this for a couple months anyway.

I use the Shuriken to cool my i7 6700k in a Silverstone ML08 case, the only fans in the whole build are the ones on the Shuriken, the PSU and the GPU; the case has no fans of its own or even room for fans. My system is always hovering in mid 30c on idle and never goes above 65c on load. I did a lot of research for my itx build and found the Shuriken to be one of the best itx coolers if you are doing a really tight build. Make sure to get low profile ram though, the heatsink tends to slightly hang over one of the ram slots on ITX boards but is no problem with the kingston or corsair low profile kits.

1 minute ago, Shura said:

I use the Shuriken to cool my i7 6700k in a Silverstone ML08 case, the only fans in the whole build are the ones on the Shuriken, the PSU and the GPU; the case has no fans of its own or even room for fans. My system is always hovering in mid 30c on idle and never goes above 65c on load. I did a lot of research for my itx build and found the Shuriken to be one of the best itx coolers if you are doing a really tight build. Make sure to get low profile ram though, the heatsink tends to slightly hang over one of the ram slots on ITX boards but is no problem with the kingston or corsair low profile kits.

Noted, I'll definitely look into that if I decide on a case that limits cooler height.